1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone heard about ROR Maps ?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by alfalogic, Jul 15, 2006.

When looking to generate a sitemap for Google, I found something called ROR Maps. Here's what they write about it:

ROR is a rapidly growing XML format for describing any object on a website (sitemaps, products, services, menus, images, reviews, contact info, business info, etc), so any search engines can better understand its content.

Does anyone know more about this ? Please share ...

alfalogic, Jul 15, 2006 IP
  2. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a cross-engine, XML sitemap on steroids.

MaxPowers, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  3. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    Info can be found at www . rorweb . com

It's a nice idea - I used to have it on my website, but it seemed pretty redundant next to HTML, XML and RSS sitemaps. I couldn't find anything that actually made use of it. I've since got rid of it. I suspect that Google sitemaps will become the defacto...

Cheers, Cryo.

Cryogenius, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  4. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd imagine this to be another IE vs. 'Other' browser thing.

Google is huge and will carry the Google sitemap with it, but to date most other engines don't support Google's format. I can't think of any that do, offhand.

Meanwhile RSS is a better format than Google's, but not as informative in some aspects such as when to come back or why one page might be better to spider than another. RSS strongpoint: it sends a 'taster' of what the page is about and allows the engine to decide. Almost all engines support RSS.

ROR supports almost all of the RSS 2.0 spec then goes way beyond that.
    ROR can carry a lot of information about a website including url, title, description, a complete 'inventory' of media files, images, products, and webpages... change frequency, priority, last mod date, creation date, mime types, filesize.... did I miss anything? I know I did, but I don't know what...

It's almost too bulky to catch on to it's full potential.

MaxPowers, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  5. onelife

onelife Guest

Best Answers:
    I was looking at providing a ror sitemap, but after querying a few developers I moved to using and rss sample instead, apparently more crawlers are indexing RSS. Here's a link to the advice I given over at the Gsite Crawler Google Group.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/gsitecrawler/browse_thread/thread/b639f77036d4bfdf

Cheers,

Dave

onelife, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  6. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Peon

Best Answers:
    They all support both formats. The ROR sitemap has the advantage of being far more versatile than RSS and containing a much larger set of data. The best part of ROR is once you get into the multi-file format of it and start producing not only the ROR sitemap, but the ROR product feeds, article lists, events calendars, etc...

If your website has a lot to offer the world, ROR can help you to list it. It's an RSS sitemap with Google XML data and a Froogle feed, blog feed, classified feed, and a few others... all in one format.

The added abilities of ROR make it more powerful, but also more difficult to master. If you can do RSS, you can do ROR... better yet, why not do both at AutoMapIt?

"why not go RSS straight away?" the post you link to asks... RSS is undeniable, but it's a weaker format than ROR and lacks all the additional data.

ROR does More.

MaxPowers, Jul 26, 2006 IP