1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dropped compltely from Yahoo,alltheweb. altavista

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by xenbb, Jul 24, 2006.

Please assist:

We have been net active since 1994 - www.xen.co.za.

We have for the most part unique content and have had good SE position for years, even before Yahoo Purchased AltaVista and alltheweb. Our content and methods of promotion are 100% above board.

In the recent 4 months past we have had a number of strange things happen. More and more sites have been using our Meta description, brand name and some our URL, without a hyperlink. We assume to gain hits from unsuspecting users.

Most of these are Google adword links farms, a few are competitors. None of the former has contact emails. We resorted to complaining to Yahoo. These same sites are not listed in Google, only in Yahoo and affiliates.

Last week, another strange event,a query to purchase our domain, which we rightly declined.

The only own upgrade in the last three weeks has been the addition of Google analytics.

Now to the point. We have been dropped completely by all Yahoo and affiliated SE's. Our SE back links stood at about 5000 accumulatively and are now less that 1500.

Worse still, our test site that was registered some years ago as a backup but never actively promoted has also been dropped.

Understand that this is not a gradual process or a slipping of position over days or weeks. This is a cut off almost as if we have been banned.

Xen enjoys good postition on all other SE'S.

We wrote to Yahoo and still wait a response.

Your ideas are greatly appreciated

xenbb, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  2. seoindiaweb

seoindiaweb Banned

Best Answers:
    Thats strange..:O i've seen this for first time..
    1994 domain got drop in SERPs:( can't really belive it... this is something serious
    your site is still indexed in Yahoo and other engines but.. dont know wats the reason to get dropped
    i think you need to work on SEO
    you hvae only 300 backlinks in yahoo and 22 in Google..
    were they dropped as well or you didnt did SEO n link building??

seoindiaweb, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  3. xenbb

xenbb Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your help. I am not really worried about Google, as the links they show have been that way for years, even with last years fuss and update over the links issues. G + hotbot still register 22 links.
    In any event we have never had a sale from a Google surfer, only MSN, AOL, Yahoo, and a few UK SE's. To us Google is a hit generating SE and thats about all.

xenbb, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  4. theguywhoknowz

theguywhoknowz Peon

Best Answers:
    Samething happening to mysite Maternity.com , we re reduce all the SERPS and recently got some back up, but most of the pages are none exist, yahoo back up old data?

theguywhoknowz, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  5. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    You are not alone. My site is not as old as yours, but as of a week or so ago, it was completely dropped from yahoo serps for no apparent reason. And, I had great rankings, top 10 for most keywords. I have not made any drastic changes to the site so I am at a loss. Rankings in google and msn have remained the same.

Janet, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  6. joelbauca

joelbauca Peon

Best Answers:
    joelbauca, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  7. Bondat

Bondat Peon

Best Answers:
    Bondat, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  8. timothy104

timothy104 Guest

Best Answers:
    I am a lawyer and I have to say being a webmaster can be more stressful than being a lawyer

as stated above yahoo recently made an update.

you said that sites were copying your meta-tag, that could be a problem. Yahoo could think that you are copying theirs so they would penalize you. However your site is registered science 1994. Thats very old so shouldn't yahoo algo realize that your site didnt copy. . . the oppisite happened

good luck resolving the situation

timothy104, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  9. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info. I read through some of the blog and it looks like we are not alone, lots of sites were affected. Does anyone know how often yahoo updates?

Janet, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  10. xenbb

xenbb Peon

Best Answers:
    Thought to update you all. Thank you for your input. Yahoo replied to say they could not help me optimise my site. I think they took my polite way of asking for advice as a request for SEO advice. They listed all the links I have already explored including - what I think is a hint - links to paid inclusion for ecommerce sites.

Strange this as only four of the sites that were and still are above our orriginal postions are listed as paid inclusions.

They have not answered why we were also dropped from Alatavista and other affiliates as well. Anyway I have written back asking that they be honest and tell me why we were dropped. Here hoping.

xenbb, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  11. xspace

xspace Peon

Best Answers:
    same happened to me. All of my 46 sites droppen down. During last week (started on last monday) they are complete dropped from top 10 positions to nowhere 9999+ /yahoo, altavista/.
    very frustrated.

xspace, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  12. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    same happened to me - with my only site i have - registered since 1997
    I always enjoyed top serps on dozens of keywords and also free listing (non-profit) in yahoo directory since long

around may 2006 ALL serps gone

now a very few come slowly back

my safe guess is that yahoo had a LOSS of data for some of their sites, as some of us are fully hit while others not at all.

the same used to happen to G once a year since about 2-3 years ( also on june 27 this year )
    for yahoo it is the first time it happened to me

a simple verification
    site:mysite.com
    shows that Y has the pages but NOTHING from the pages itself
    i.e. all page data lost - hence all data needed for serps lost as well ...

while normally i got a full listing with titles, descripton, etc for each page

since Y is much slower in processing data than G
    such serps loss may last many months or beyond

meanwhile MSN and ask.com are increasing bot activity and compensating for loss of Y traffic by quality serps

hans, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  13. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I just took a look at my site: command and it appears that all my data has been lost as well. It doesn't help with my rankings, but atleast I now I realize it was nothing I did, just a problem at yahoo. Could it really take that long for yahoo to correct this? :(

Janet, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  14. BILZ

BILZ Peon

Best Answers:
    I have the same problem - some of my sites are dropped completely from yahoo serps. However, it appears that it may have something to with my hosting. My sites that were dropped were all with the same host. My sites that were unaffected, were on a different host. Anyone else seeing similar?

BILZ, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  15. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    since yahoo has all page-URLs
    there is absolutely nothing we (both) and all others in same situation can do
    its a matter of computing power
    its a matter of number of thousands of (regular ) PCs working day and night to compare ALL globla pages with YOUR pages and to build up SERPs again - page by page

anything less than a months would be a miracle
    it depends on how many thousands or millions of sites are affected

if you have a Linux system - just run once in shell
    updatedb
    to updated your tiny db of file names
    then you get an idea how much MORE computing is needed for a full text SERPs creation for Y entire db - finally they have to redo ALL since we all match somewhere inbetween their existing pages ...
    1000s of CPUs Terabytes of RAM running full speed weeks or months ...

what we all can do meanwhile is just publish, improve content, learn to be even better and apply all while Y is doing overtime

one more important point

I hav enotices that Y had some 185'000 pages from my domain ...
    while i have some 5000 pages

hence I wrote a mail to the Y support yesterday to ask for clarification and for any help i can provide to clean up their db
    they show only the first 1000 pages and hence I have no idea where their slurp is either looping or getting wrong URLs - its a first and unique situation

G also has some 20k pages TOO many from an OLD time long time deleted odp script - G has a procedure to remove death URL and I have done that successfully to clean up G db as well

hans, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  16. ST12

ST12 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am sorry to here about that.
    May be there is new algo for Yahoo with which they trying to improve the search results, who knows what else might be, since so many sites got dropped.
    Best of luck getting up in the top positions again.
    st12

ST12, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  17. FireStorM

FireStorM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You alexa rank is more than 400,000 which is pretty low for a site which exist since 1994:rolleyes: , maybe you need to get some more quality backlinks ...

FireStorM, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  18. Connections

Connections Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hahahah i remember AltaVista best search engine!!!!!!

Connections, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  19. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    xenbb
    has no valid code
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.xen.co.za/
    making life for SE hard - harder than necessary!!!

and NO PR - what aoubt submitting your site to 20 or so minor but ESTABLISH old SE to improve PR

little traffic as a result of little content around your products
    for a purely commercial site the alexa rank might be quiet normal

and page:
    Not Found
    The requested document was not found on this server.

may be a link check
    or a full quality overhaul with all the basic stuff
    that could revive business and get sun into your life
    work is the key to success - from east to west and north to south

if you want more traffic you need NON-commercial content around your products
    and a better pin-up girl rather than the old lay 40+ on your start page
    swim wear also is for YOUNG people not only for grandma's

hans, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  20. xenbb

xenbb Peon

Best Answers:

That is exactly my point we had 5680 backlinks just between the three yahoo affilates. As you well know even though you have back links on one SE these extrapolate when you add those sites that have links to them. Our Alexa rating 4 weeks ago was 146000.

In any event I do not hold much store in Alexa as most of their information is gain from those who use Alexa toolbar. However if you loose indexing in three Yahoo affiliated sites your backlinks disappear with them.

We use IBP and webceo these are esatblished programs with a good record

xenbb, Jul 30, 2006 IP