1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tired Of So Many Bad New Directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Nima, May 29, 2009.

1. Harkster

Harkster Guest

Best Answers:
    While I hadn't thought of it that way it makes sense.

I like your last 3 posts thing on your details page.

Harkster, May 30, 2009 IP
  2. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i agree that if free scricpts hadn't been around we would have had a better life...

But, does taking the free version off, stop the bad directories from coming up? Because the script is already out and will be downloaded from somewhere...

What I'm trying to get is what is the best approach to take right now to fix our problem?

If we let this keep going the directory industry will be hurt and is bad for everyone.

Nima, May 30, 2009 IP
  3. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'll still submit my site to the niche directories that I can find for that particular site, I'm sure there are a ton of crap directories, but the ones I check our are always quality ;)

Brandon Sheley, May 30, 2009 IP
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    A good point, i guess it does contribute, i see a rather wide range of things that have contributed to the situation, ive mentioned some in the past but yeah i can see how the availability of a free script in certain types of sites can spoil things.

Isn't the fact that the free scripts already exist making it a situation that cant be undone now though?

pipes, May 31, 2009 IP
  5. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is not only happen to directory but all the website and social bookmark. Freakly speaking, your idea is good but it seems not possible

lifeplayer, May 31, 2009 IP
    Nima likes this.
  6. xSaimex

xSaimex Peon

Best Answers:
    I completely agree with OP. The funny thing is, none of those "leet" and experienced directory owners seem to bother reply here because they know how lame it actually is. But hey...there is not much we can do about this.

xSaimex, May 31, 2009 IP
  7. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    we can do nothing about others's decision to make directories. good or bad...Maybe time and market will tell who will survive in the future.

why bother to worry? Just make your directory the best :)

xc06, May 31, 2009 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  8. xSaimex

xSaimex Peon

Best Answers:
    True that xc06, but what would this forum be without little bit of conspiracy? :p Anyway..Point has been made, im outta here :D

xSaimex, May 31, 2009 IP
  9. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not true to an extent..

If the directory is penalized then it will come back sooner or later (if the owner values his site and waits for it to clear or send reconsideration request) Ive seen plenty of other directories that where de-indexed and came back as well as PR stripped which then returned EX: (hotvsnot) and many others.

As for "Aviva" it also came back from several different penalties and achieved a nice ranking not long ago (pr6) which then this last update (few days ago) dropped to (pr3) for whatever reasons, as the site is not penalized in any way and is a nice resource regardless of its PR and one that anyone would luv to be listed in.

I myself think that there is always room for more owners that take pride in what they own and the job they accomplish as well as new tools and resources
    that they may add to help surfers find quality sites, as well as new ideas they can bring to the table.

malcolm1, May 31, 2009 IP
    Brandon Sheley likes this.
  10. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    We all get tired of wading through the crap directories trying to find the good ones. However, there are a lot of good directories out there. I know of about 100 general directories and several hundred niche directories that seem to pass serious link juice...but it's taken 3 or 4 years to collect them.

freelistfool, May 31, 2009 IP
  11. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It seems like this may have been intended for me since your comment was quoting one of my posts...

So I will just say that I dont have this problem. If one does it may be easy to blame it on the economy but that may not be the true reason. My frustration does not stem in any way from any of my directories.

What my frustration stems from is what I explained. It stems from me being a directory owner. It is frustrating for me to see the directory industry do harm to itself. These "companies" which supply some of these scripts for free are cutting their and our throats by undermining the overall credibility of the industry in general.

It is one thing to have legitimate competitors trying to compete directly by offering their own directories but it is quite another thing to have suppliers of scripts undermining the efforts of good directory owners who actually care about the service they provide.

These script "companies" pursue business practices that are detrimental to all directory owners who want to provide quality services.

Someone can through the use of a free script and a free template put up a thousand directories in a week which have no chance at all of ever being a quality resource for anything but spam. Directory owners who actually care about what they offer should take notice and action in some manner because enabling those kinds of actions by people who have no business putting up one directory much less a thousand of them undermines and damages the credibility of directories as a whole.

Then one can say

And if that is ones attitude it probably will not change. It may not change anyway. Sitting on ones hands will definitely not cause any of these practices to change.

But the one way that any directory owner who cares about the industry might cause change is by no longer utilizing or promoting ANY script which offers a free version of any kind. Put pressure on them to change. These script companies do not make money off the scripts they give away so if paying customers no longer support companies offering free scripts who do you think they will listen to? Those taking the free scripts or those taking their paying business to companies which dont offer free scripts?

I committed to this a while back for any future projects I work on. I have one I am working on now that this was a main consideration in the platform I chose to use. Sure I am only one but I guess that is where most things start with one. If it stays with just one then so be it, at least I am doing my part.

I also think getting script companies to no longer offer free versions would help to reduce the number of dropped domain directories popping up every day. No it would probably not solve that problem completely but at least it would increase the investment needed to put the site up. Those putting up a directory on a dropped domain would have the additional expense of the script.

I dont think there is any short term solution to the problem.

First pressure would need to be exerted on these companies by the paying customers to change their free script policies.

Second the companies providing these free scripts would have to take ownership of the problem they were largely responsible for creating.

Third they would have to proactively seek out and shut down places offering free versions for download. No longer support free versions and no longer improve them. They seach out unlicensed paid versions now - they would just have to expand it a bit.

Sure the script companies would cry and belly ache about how hard it would be or maybe even impossible but if the paying customers go to other comanies not offering free scripts the prospect of going out of business can be a huge motivator.

If the company were to keep offering free scripts the paying customers would have to take the action of using scripts from companies that dont offer free versions. If the movement were to gain enough support the companies would feel the pressure and either comply or go out of business. Either way the problem would be partially solved.

Would it work? Who knows? It would take a whole lot of directory owners who actually care working together. If it did not work at least you would know you did your part to try and solve the problem.

swedal, May 31, 2009 IP
    Obelia likes this.
  12. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is all very good but how can you open a thread about this kind of practice and then submit your own sites to the same directories?
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1361018#post11559658

discover, May 31, 2009 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  13. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Loading a free directory script does not make a directory. Until it has a well developed database it is not a directory, it’s just a script. As long as fools will patronize the never ending supply of fools loading scripts and calling them directories they will continue to build them.
    The well developed established directories cater to an entirely different user group and are not affected by the give me free and fast crowed that the free script user group caters to.
    With the free human edited directory model being a complete failure repeatedly for many years why do so many people continue to follow a known failure???

stoner3221, May 31, 2009 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  14. gamefreaked

gamefreaked Peon

Best Answers:
    envladotcom is a top one more or less instant, human approval

gamefreaked, May 31, 2009 IP
  15. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    @swedal, the comment not specifically at you, theres lots of frustrated directory owners from what i see.

Ive not had a proper paid submission to any of my directories since min march, as far as i see it the economy isn't helping, i could probably list a couple of dozen various factors that i feel are affecting directories, economy being one of them.

I personally dont like to say oh its the script suppliers fault, nobody forces anyone, and if they didn't supply free scripts then you would have people complaining that they cant get their hands on a free script.

Nobody seemed to have a problem with the availability of free scripts for directories in the past.

Theres no way of controlling who sets up a directory, it cant be policed, while i dont like the fact either at times that some people are having a laugh with the amount of duplicate directories that they are setting up, i fully accept that its beyond anyones control.

If people cant get free they often just use a nulled script.

This issue of the availability of free directory scripts is only one of many many problems for a directory owner, il mention a few then see who can overcome some of these.

1. Penalisations, no matter who correctly you feel you operate.
    2. No patterns that make sense as to why some are penalised and some are not.
    3. Difficulty in ranking for something that will make sense to rank for.
    4. Past obsession and talk by owners themselves that preached juice selling and now tries to say the opposite.
    5. The fact that google has a paid links report thingy.
    6. The endless thread asking if directories are worthless.
    7. About 2 years worth of quarrels.
    8. Economic problems, in the UK at least were in a recession, and good luck getting a mortgage.
    9. Social media/marketing, fad marketing, the latest whatever that everyone jumps onto.
    10. Directories that jumped ship, gave a feeling to submitters of here today gone when it gets a bit cloudy.
    11. Lazy owners who insist that if their old pals are not here at dp then they aint coming either, these same owners insist that submitters are educted by owners, just so long as they dont have to do it themselves.
    12. The fact that if someoneeven hints that they may have a new feature/mod for directories to use in the future that a dozen people will reply quick time sayng how they will use it too, so no change there from how it used to be, everyone using the same mods and ideas.

Id suggest you let go of any ideas of trying to change other peoples businesses, you're much better off putting that time into a project for yourself that doesn't involve directories at all, theres no community in a business like this where most directories get penalised anyway.

It aint going to return the pr or list the other penalisations, its simply not going to happen.

pipes, May 31, 2009 IP
    wwws and Brandon Sheley like this.
  16. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nima, May 31, 2009 IP
  17. adele79

adele79 Peon

Best Answers:
    it is necessory i think, for a new comer like me i could not know which directoy is well and which is bad~~

adele79, May 31, 2009 IP
  18. Divisive Cottonwood

Divisive Cottonwood Peon

Best Answers:
    I started this thread a few months back because I wanted to discuss this very issue: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1323030

I wonder just how much money these dropped domain directories actually make? It's hard enough at the best of times - but do these sites actually have any visitors?

I've been collating the best new directories posted up in DP on a monthy basis (http://dofollow001.com/blog/new-quality-directories-list-may-2009), and I would only recommend submitting to about 10% of them

Divisive Cottonwood, May 31, 2009 IP
  19. Reviewz

Reviewz Peon

Best Answers:
    Although I'm not a directory owner, but I feel at least 90% of the new free directories offer no value at all in terms of SEO. When I check my links, almost none of the directories I submitted to appear at all.

That's why I don't want to submit to free directories any more, cos I feel it is not a good use of my time.

My 2 cents.

Reviewz, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  20. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not a directory owner but I have submitted to tons of free directories here on dp. 90% of those directories are gone now and their owners are no longer active dp members. Nowadays I hardly submit to new directories. I've become much more selective and a lot of selection is done before even visiting the site.

• If it's a new directory with PR then no thank you; if you're prepared to take short cuts rather than build your own PR then what other short cuts are you prepared to take?
    • If the domain name is not related to the directory industry, then no thank you. I was probably used for something else that didn't work out and the owner will probably change it to something else when the directory thing doesn't work out rather than work hard at it.
    • If the directory has existing listings, I check their if their descriptions are stuffed with keywords, and if they are I wouldn't bother submitting as those types of directories have a high mortality rate.
    • I also check the quality actual sites that are listed, that they are what the directory says they are. In other words, I check if the directory owner/editors are checking the sites they're listing or just the submit form.
    There are a few good directories out there; they're just so hard to find because of all the crap that 's out there as well. Sadly, most people see the crap that's giving directories a bad name rather than the good ones.

qazu, Jun 1, 2009 IP
    Nima and Ibn Juferi like this.