1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you think about the new Infraction System?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by joeychgo, Jul 21, 2006.

1. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Actually, the same rules applied back then, the DP rules haven' changed pretty much since the start of the forum. The only difference is, now we have a reminder system. So to say it's 'unfair' makes it sounds we now 'punish' for something that used to be OK. That's not the case. it was never OK to bump etc. But we now inform members, so they have some feedback they can chose to use to make this a better place for all.

To answer Joey's thread:

From a mod perspective I think it's a great system. It enables us to keep good sight on member behaviour and enables us to make informed decisions on 'punishments'. Without it, it's near enough impossible for us to know someone's 'track record' as a member. I probably know about 150 members' behaviour off the top of my head, because I've been here for long enough and frequently read their posts. The other thousands of members I have no way of knowing other than the infraction system.

This board has only a few pretty straight forward rules and is one of the most liberal places I've hung out at. Many people don't read the rules though and this system is a nice way of reminding them efficiently from a mod perspective (time concerns mainly) and effectively from a members persective. Also discretely, they don't 'suffer' any consequences they don't deserve. Like your drivers license, you rake up a few points but get to keep full ability to continue unless you hit the limit, which is high enough for anyone to step out of line a few times without repercussions.

T0PS3O, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  2. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't have a problem with it. I don't think I have gotten any infractions yet, but to be honest I don't even know how I would know.

That being said, if some people put as much energy just into working within the framework of the board rules instead of griping about infractions, there would be a lot fewer infractions to give out.

I would consider an infraction a simple reminder about a specific board rule or policy. Whether you choose to heed the advice is up to you. Habitually and chronic offenders will eventually get punted, and I am pretty sure this happened before as well. Just not as efficiently.

aeiouy, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  3. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Just look where you rep points are, you will see infractions if any , also you should recieve an email

sundaybrew, Jul 23, 2006 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If Nintendo broke into your house, I would think that having him use your computer, giving infractions or not, would be the least of your worries. :eek:

minstrel, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  5. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I just got one for calling latehorn a f**king idiot.

Fair enough I guess...

How long do they last for?

How does this work?

SEbasic, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That's against the rules???? :eek:

minstrel, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  7. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought it was just stating the obvious, but I guess I should have been a little more polite.

Like I say, seems fair enough.

SEbasic, Jul 23, 2006 IP
    MattUK likes this.
  8. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hahahaha! :D

yo-yo, Jul 23, 2006 IP
    maldives likes this.
  9. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

The expiration date of the infraction should be to the right of reason , above where you rep points are in the cp,

Mine last 4 months I think

sundaybrew, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  10. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    I haven't read this thread (probably just more bitching)... :p
    :p

I personally like the infration system. Before it was added, I had to red rep people or PM them in-order to warn them about something (or even ban them for a day). And w/ both options, there was no record of it for the other modersators to see.

When the infraction system was originally added, it showed the users who issued the infraction. While I don't have a problem with people knowing it was me, it did get annoying having to answer a million PM's every time I gave someone an infraction.

All-in-all, I really like the system and I think it helps make a forum w/ as many users as DP much more managable.

Crazy_Rob, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  11. jquindlen

jquindlen Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I don't like the system simply because it doesnt provide enough information. I just got an infraction for an inappropriate post, with no other explanation. Seeing how I don't post things that are against the rules, I'd like to get some clarification on why exactly I received an infraction and my post was deleted. It also makes me paranoid since the post in question seemed like any other post I would make. What's the point in participating in DP if my posts are going to removed and I'm going to receive disciplinary action taken against me. To me, as an admin on several different forums, having the infraction system is redundant, and serves no real function but to put a cold, impersonal face on the moderation actions on the board. If I do something wrong I am happy to accept feedback so I can learn from my mistakes. However, tagging a post as "inappropriate" with absolutely no explanation at all doesnt help me, and it makes me want to take my business elsewhere.

jquindlen, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  12. congelado

congelado Guest

Best Answers:
    yes, should be with reason why rating, but is good against spammers

congelado, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  13. Pammer

Pammer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Excuse me! i dont know how n which way i taste this infraction system ( probebely i think i must want to check.... coz there are many thread abt that ) and where i will see that i was do somthing wrong ???

Ahhh any moderator help me :p

Pammer, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  14. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    If you view your profile you will see any infractions you have received. When I just checked you had none. :) They will show either a red or yellow card, the post for which you have received the infraction or warning, and what the infractions was.

Keep up the good work.

Smyrl, Jul 27, 2006 IP
    Pammer likes this.
  15. shamess

shamess Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've never been affected by it, so maybe it just likes me, but I guess if you stick to the rules, then you'll live a happy infraction free life.

I think its a good idea though mostly; it stops spammers and other annoyences around here, and its needed to take the heat of the mods in such an active forum like this.

Lots of respectable people around DP have gotten infractions and they've said they didn't deserve them- I don't know how much truth there is to that, but maybe it could do with a bit more fine tuning.

shamess, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  16. Pammer

Pammer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ohhh thats nice compliment :) thanks for the advice! but hope atleast awww atleast one infraction i will earn :D

Pammer, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  17. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    Is infraction some kind of respect ?? :confused: :confused:

The Webmaster, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  18. Pammer

Pammer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    NOooooo i think!!! but i want to acheive the same feeling when football referee make a whistle and show Red or yellow card to any player whose breake the any role..... :D :D ( lol where these crad will shown?? )

Pammer, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  19. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Yeah, like some people brag about having been to prison ...

Blogmaster, Jul 28, 2006 IP
  20. SumitBahl

SumitBahl Reign of Chaos

Best Answers:
    I dont know nay such guy, do you? ;) :)

SumitBahl, Jul 28, 2006 IP