1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Warning: Your Link Profile May Suck in Google's Eyes

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by James Dean Nash, May 27, 2009.

Your link profile may suck if you base your linkbuilding campaign soley on"

1.)Mass Directory Submission...
    Submitting your website to hundreds of low quality directories is a waste of time and money IMO if they have the following characteristics:
    • They accept every website that gets submitted and have no type of quality or editorial control.
    • The directory is blatantly selling links... You'll see links to other websites in the footer, sidebar etc..
    • They have been slapped in the past
    Try: http://www.incrawler.com http://www.business.com http://www.greenstalk.com http://familyfriendlysites.com/ http://dir.yahoo.com/ http://botw.org/

Their are more directories but these will help you to establish trust and that you have a quality website because their is an editorial process. So if your accepted in the directory, then in Google's eyes you don't have a spam site or you wouldn't be in the directory... make sense?

2.)Blogroll, Footer, Wordpress theme and Sitewide links:
    Purchasing multiple blogroll, sitewide links etc on websites is detected and discounted by the Algorithm

Why?

Because Google knows that these are areas of abuse for people buying and selling links especially if their not relevant too. Just take a look around. Also people report these paid links and give Google even more insight of what type of links to look for and discount.

3.)Blog commenting

Blog commenting IMO is pretty close to worthless for SEO but may bring traffic. Stuffing your keyword in a comment that may not ever get approved isn't worth your time and effort. Even Google knows that. Google can detect and discount these type of links because they are known to be areas of spam and abuse. So at best the links have been highly discounted.

Now I am not saying you can't rank your website using these methods but it's going to take you alot more work to rank for more competitve keywords.

The types of links that you do need are editorial controlled links and links that are not in known areas of abuse.

James Dean Nash, May 27, 2009 IP
    Rohit patel and GlowStormLion like this.
  2. kbeus21

kbeus21 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good post, I have found that using keyword luv has helped some, but not nearly as much as I thought it would. I definatley stay away from directories that don't manually review and buying links goes against google guidelines. Personally I have found the best links come from article submission and guest posting. These two also help to become an expert in a niche and if your able to get the respect free one way backlinks will follow. Any good job pointing out some of the places to avoid when link building.

kbeus21, May 27, 2009 IP
  3. Daffy Duck

Daffy Duck Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks man.. nice post....

Daffy Duck, May 28, 2009 IP
  4. Ryan@SEOBackup

Ryan@SEOBackup Peon

Best Answers:
    Link building is about variety. A natural, uninterfered with backlink profile will have links from all corners of the web. Your goal as an SEO is to emulate that artificially.

Bookmarking, blog comments, forum posts, incontent links, footer links, blogroll links, press releases, article marketing, classifieds, directories. . .

Ryan@SEOBackup, May 28, 2009 IP
  5. GlowStormLion

GlowStormLion Peon

Best Answers:
    Solid post!

I think the concept that's starting to arise here is we, as site builders/operators, have to start envisioning our sites as having an 'image' in the search engines if we want those search engines to continue bringing us traffic. They're just robots at this point, but clearly Google's goal is to approach artificial intelligence levels of 'sentience'. Not to be sci fi about things, but that's how it appears to me.

So what does that mean? If we promote our sites as if there's a human examining them then we'll probably avoid the more embarrassing types of promotion... and that ends up being the spammy stuff. Right now, it seems that people shamelessly promote because "Oh well, it's just an algorithm, a robot"... but in the future I feel that's going to become more and more fruitless. Our sites have 'reputations' based on who's linking to them and where they're linking to. In order to stand out, I think we've got to keep our eye on the ball, which (to me) is pleasing the end visitor, not the mechanical/technological tool through which they find our sites.

That's the key is keeping that 'profile' that JDN's talking about in mind... If we think past SEO alone, I think we're capable of building sites that'll function more productively and promoting them with far more efficient techniques.

Just my 2c

GlowStormLion, May 28, 2009 IP
  6. sexymassage

sexymassage Guest

Best Answers:
    Good post, but how can we get high quality back links? It is really a big problem for me.

sexymassage, May 28, 2009 IP
  7. sexymassage

sexymassage Guest

Best Answers:
    Good post, but how can we get high quality back links? It is really a big problem for me.

sexymassage, May 28, 2009 IP
  8. tyler_durden

tyler_durden Peon

Best Answers:
    James Dean Nash,
    So are you saying that we need to pay for better serp's? It will cost over $500 to get listed in those 6 directories you mentioned, and some of them are only yearly listings and you need to pay again.

I completely understand what you are saying, but I don't believe those directories will help you that much compared to the cost. Do you agree or disagree? If you only could choose one or 2 directories that you listed, which ones are the best bang for your buck?

tyler_durden, May 28, 2009 IP
  9. rmotive

rmotive Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, keep in mind that one important thing is the content on your site. You can have all the links in the world, and you won't rank if your content is garbage.

rmotive, May 28, 2009 IP
  10. James Dean Nash

James Dean Nash Peon

Best Answers:
    No you don't need to pay for serp's but if you want to have a better chance at ranking better and gaining more trust then yeh'....

I understand alot of people cannot afford these directories and thats understandable, but if I had to choose I'd go with yahoo directory and business.com ......

You need to have a wide link profile ....but soley focusing on footer links, blogrolls, sitewide links etc IMO just isn't enough..

This is true, however if you focus soley on the ones I stated in the post then ranking is going to be a task....

James Dean Nash, May 28, 2009 IP
  11. 5593907

5593907 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that variety is the way to go. Doing too much link building in one particular area always seems to somewhat backfire on me as my pages go down in rank instead of up.

I think Ryan said it best above "Your goal as an SEO is to emulate that artificially."

5593907, May 28, 2009 IP
  12. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it is true that these type of links are discounted, they are not penalized so they still work to some extent. only 2-3 years ago we could rank high getting sitewide links from few large sites with thousands of pages. this doesn;t work any longer but few links form that domain still counts

i beg to differ. i see people ranking very well using purely blog commenting as a mehtod of link building. while most of the people offering blog commenting on DP provides worthless serivce as i myself tried several of them, if you can post on-topic comments on relevant blogs, they still work like charm

sultanofseo, May 28, 2009 IP
  13. Luc

Luc Active Member

Best Answers:
    If I were Google, I'd discount links coming from signatures because those obviously don't tell anything about hte value of the site. But I'd take into account links in comments in forums that are on-topic. Wonder if they will make a distinction.

Luc, May 28, 2009 IP
  14. qingsong

qingsong Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice warning, can you show me some good ways to build links for website?

qingsong, May 28, 2009 IP
  15. goodfta

goodfta Active Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree from a SEO standpoint mass spamming to 100's of free directories that are overly saturated with postings is worthless, it doesnt even really register as a backlink and brings 0 traffic to your site.

goodfta, May 28, 2009 IP
  16. GeoGeo

GeoGeo Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the post

GeoGeo, May 28, 2009 IP
  17. pcz

pcz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    nowadays google penalizes for everything :-L

pcz, May 28, 2009 IP
  18. James Dean Nash

James Dean Nash Peon

Best Answers:
    I never said it couldn't be done.... i said "Now I am not saying you can't rank your website using these methods but it's going to take you alot more work to rank for more competitve keywords."

Yes you can still use these methods but look for other ways as well cuz these methods are dated and abused...theirfore discounted....

19. tyler_durden

tyler_durden Peon

Best Answers:
    James Dean Nash,
    I just want to say nice blog, even though it looks like it's only days old. Good content!

tyler_durden, May 28, 2009 IP
  20. James Dean Nash

James Dean Nash Peon

Best Answers:
    it's only about a week old and thanks! :) .... after selling my dog store I figured I'd start me a blog since I have a bit more free time and resources to back me up for awhile...