1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is using "my-space bulletin" agains Google Adsense tos?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by ST12, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Good point - valid argument

If you send a bulletin that says "come look at my widget-related site", the only people that would bother coming to your site are coming because they are interested in widgets.. no? I would guess that a PROPERLY and honestly worded bulletin should draw well-targeted traffic..

Tearabite, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  2. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    The Myspace bulletin topic has only arisen in the last week. Are you saying I have made 2000+ posts on this subject within 1 week? Methinks you can't count, or are just overreaching. Also, you happen to stumble across some of my posts regarding this subject because I tend to reply to almost all subjects in the Adsense forum, and as this subject is the most dominant at the moment, I of course have replied to most of them. When I make a point, and someone disagrees, of course I have to rebut. It's called a discussion. You know, what we do here? See, you're not nearly as insightful as you think are you.

Duh. By saying I don't "understand" what he's trying to say, I am outright dismissing his points. Like, DUH.

jackburton2006, Jul 22, 2006 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  3. billabong7329

billabong7329 Peon

Best Answers:
    Like others have already said, first off, a person has to accept you as a friend. So thats the beginning of it. I can see some people just accept everyone who requests to be there friend and it might be misleading, but for the most case, people won't add you unless they know you or are interested in you.

Again, like some people have said, if you are using a personal acount to send out random bulletins about your website, then I can again see how that could be seen as spam. When the person added you to their friend list they thought you were just a regular person who took interest in someone else and wanted to be friends, so they added you, but they never expected to be sent bulletins about some website.

But if your myspace acount is based on your site, then I see don't see how it could be considered spam. If your whole profile is talking about your website and is in no way misleading, then people shouldn't add you to their friends list if they have no interest in your website. If someone adds you to their friends list, they don't HAVE to read your bulletins either. Again they made a choice to open a bulletin, they didn't have to open it. They took some interest in the title of the bulletin and decided to. If the bulletin is misleading . . then I would agree that it is spam and is wrong. But if the title of the bulletin is something clearly to do with your site, then they should know whether or not they want to open it.

Once they open a bulletin if your just promoting your site and not saying COME CLICK ON MY ADS, I don't see how it is a problem. If you send out bulletins every 10 minutes, 30 minutes, or every even hour, then I would probably consider that spam. Once, twice, maybe three times a day I think would be ok.

I just don't see why it should be a problem as long as NOTHING is misleading in the process. If the profile is clearly for a website, fine. If the topics you make for a bulletin are relevant to what your promoting, fine. If the contents of the bulletin are relevant to the title of the bulletin, and the content of your site, fine. As long as there is no deception I don't see why it would be a problem.

mehh . . thats my opinion on this. (sorry, its late, I tried to make as much sense as I could lol)

billabong7329, Jul 22, 2006 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  4. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's what the argument boils down to:

If you have a MySpace-related site, and you've made money from it, and you depend on the MySpace Bulletins for your traffic, you will never believe that you may be ban for it, and you will argue until the end of the Earth -- or until you've banned for it, whichever comes first.

If you do not have a MySpace-related site (as I do not), you are merely going by what has been happening in regards to Adsense and MySpace Bulletin and putting 2+2 together, and you are trying to impart what you believe is happening.

Bottom line is that those of us who fall into the second category have nothing at stake here, and we are just trying to tell you what we believe to be the bottom line in regards to this topic. But it's clear now that you have too much invested in MySpace Bulletins to be deterred.

So be it. I'm out.

jackburton2006, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  5. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    After reading this thread from the start, the very last post by jackburton gets right to the heart of the matter.

As usual, I agree with him 100%.

iowadawg, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  6. billabong7329

billabong7329 Peon

Best Answers:
    my site isn't even myspace related . . . I don't have like a myspace layout site or anything. I have a quote site, I post a quote of the day through bulletins twice a day, once at morning and once at night and in that bulletin I link to the page where that quote came from. That is how I use myspace. I guess after this, and my last post, I don't have too much else to say.

billabong7329, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  7. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK I agree there are some valid points here. However, no one has yet attempted to address what I stated. If Adsense were to go around banning everyone's account who uses bulletins to promote their website there would really be something wrong.

jackburton2006, I do not see how you can just dismiss my points. I think I've made a valid point about having people post your website in their bulletins to get you banned. Please explain to me how you could prevent someone from doing this? Are you going to tell Google to contact Myspace and provide logs as to who was using the account? I'm sure Google would be willing and caring enough to do that :)

On a side note, I do not at all rely on traffic from Myspace bulletins. I have tons of high rankings in the SERPS for thousands of keywords/keyphrases. I have only recently started building a friend account. The account has maybe just around 3000 friends so if I really felt my Adsense account was in jeopardy I could care less about bulletins.

m0rtal, Jul 22, 2006 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  8. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Heh. Yeah, bulletin bowling.
    :)

mcfox, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  9. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Would you please explain it?
    In this way lot of marketing tactics can be counted as spam :eek:

Mong, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  10. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Ok - Let me jump im here,

Myspace is supposed to be a place for " friends " or people that want to become friends, It now has become over riden with spammers,

" Myspace " or " Fox media " bought the site for $580 million dollars so THEY could make revenue off of it NOT YOU!

Its like this ,

You have a son or daughter and he / she wants to sell lemonade on the driveway to raise some money for a new toy or whatever,

So you go out and buy some wood, nails etc and build a lemonade stand for your child, The same way MYSPACE paid $580 million for the site

NOW - Lets say the lemonade stand is all finished and you set it all up make the lemonade, start walking down the driveway to start selling lemonade

And there are 5000 kids on YOUR driveway tell you get lost!!

NOW WHAT???????

ITS SPAM, Post your URL in bulletins is SPAM,

Now , if you would like to target keywords on search or ppc, then its fair because people actually choose to click those ads,

NOT like your HOT CHICK profile that says want to get laid click here etc,

I am sorry but if you even have to ask if its ok, WELL then usually its not...

sundaybrew, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  11. PinoyIto

PinoyIto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's against myspace TOS. It is not considered as spam because those people when you request to become their friend they accept your request and other request to be you friend. If they don't want to recieve any bulletin from you then they are free to remove you from their friend list.

m0rtal is right if adsense ban site getting traffic from myspace bulletin then sooner or later thousand of accounts will be ban because of those lonatics people. Even your account and my account will soon to be ban even we don't promot to myspace bulletin because it is very easy to create a script or program that will automatically post bulletin every 30 seconds.

PinoyIto, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  12. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

So what ? You are saying adsense wont ban thousands of accts?

13. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    How about this

http://collect.myspace.com/misc/terms.html?z=1

Non-commercial Use by Members. The MySpace Services are for the personal use of Members only and may not be used in connection with any commercial endeavors except those that are specifically endorsed or approved by MySpace.com. Illegal and/or unauthorized use of the MySpace Services, including collecting usernames and/or email addresses of Members by electronic or other means for the purpose of sending unsolicited email or unauthorized framing of or linking to the MySpace Website is prohibited. Commercial advertisements, affiliate links, and other forms of solicitation may be removed from Member profiles without notice and may result in termination of Membership privileges. Appropriate legal action will be taken for any illegal or unauthorized use of the MySpace Services.

Or how about this

# advertising to, or solicitation of, any Member to buy or sell any products or services through the MySpace Services. You may not transmit any chain letters or junk email to other Members. It is also a violation of these rules to use any information obtained from the MySpace Services in order to contact, advertise to, solicit, or sell to any Member without their prior explicit consent. In order to protect our Members from such advertising or solicitation, MySpace.com reserves the right to restrict the number of emails which a Member may send to other Members in any 24-hour period to a number which MySpace.com deems appropriate in its sole discretion. If you breach this Agreement and send unsolicited bulk email, instant messages or other unsolicited communications of any kind through the MySpace Services, you acknowledge that you will have caused substantial harm to MySpace.com, but that the amount of such harm would be extremely difficult to ascertain. As a reasonable estimation of such harm, you agree to pay MySpace.com $50 for each such unsolicited email or other unsolicited communication you send through the MySpace Services;

14. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Its weired myspace is on internet and what do you expect that you get in bulletins ?
    It is impossible to stay with your friends without any internet references.
    URL is just one internet reference of content.

Mong, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  15. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

Example of a bulletin :

Hi Guys ,

We are having a baby shower for my wife , I hope you can come this sunday

Joel

-------------------------------------------------------------------

NOT :

The best hottest, awesome , coolest , have to click now , please pimp your profile , watch my movie, click here now, did I say my site has the hottest pimps , gliiter , dude you have to come please , clcik on this link , other wise my next bulletin will be a redirect to my site anyway , did I mention that I have games, glitter , freind trains , games, games, click here, glitter, free stuff, have you seen this , huh , huh, click , click ,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

OH and btw ,

Do you really have 10k friends?

Oh wait I have an idea INVITE them all over your house and let me know how that turns out .........

THEY are your " friends " why not?

16. PinoyIto

PinoyIto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am not saying that they don't ban thousand of accounts, but if they do ban account getting traffic from myspace and other social networking site sooner or later all account will be ban because people can sabotage other account using myspace bulletin. And do you believe google let that happened? Ban all their publishers account if so then they lose their billion dollars

PinoyIto, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  17. billabong7329

billabong7329 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, please don't state that as any kind of reason for people not to advertise. It says no chain letters ?!?!?! How many bulletins do you get that say SEND THIS OR DIE or IF YOU DON'T SEND THIS YOU WILL HAVE BAD LUCK IN RELATIONSHIPS FOR LIFE. Yet those people are ALL still around. IMO, that is WAY more annoying then someone trying to advertise a website.

And I think some people are missing the point, these people CHOOSE TO ADD YOU. They don't have to, and can take you off of their friends list at ANY TIME. Then they have to choose to open the bulletin. So far they have made two conscience choices to read what you have to say. Then once they open the bulletin they can decide whether its crap or not, if they like it they can read it and maybe visit your site, if they don't like it like they previously thought they would then they can delete you from their friends list. Its THEIR CHOICE to be your friend, at anytime they can put a stop to that.

And I'm in agreement with you that if I got a bulletin every hour saying

"The best hottest, awesome , coolest , have to click now , please pimp your profile , watch my movie, click here now, did I say my site has the hottest pimps , gliiter , dude you have to come please , clcik on this link , other wise my next bulletin will be a redirect to my site anyway , did I mention that I have games, glitter , freind trains , games, games, click here, glitter, free stuff, have you seen this , huh , huh, click , click ,"

that I do consider that spam. I don't see a problem posting a relevant bulletin once or twice a day with a link to your site, and not something that just says "click here."

The name of my myspace is Quote Void, this is what my bulletins all look like:

Title:
    Quote of the Day x/xx/xx

Body:
    Quote of the Day x/xx/xx
    http://quotevoid.sitesled.com

Insert quote here Insert quote here Insert quote here Insert quote here
    -author

<link> " x " quotes </link>

anyways, I don't even know if I should be arguing, I'm not sure if those agaisnt the spam even consider what I'm doing spam.

billabong7329, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  18. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    No No this is spam I don't like it.
    IF you have few friends and want to send them url link which is relevant to bulletin then i think there is no problem.
    But if you are doing something like above.Then its really very very bad.

Mong, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  19. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

Yes mong I agree :D:D

20. billabong7329

billabong7329 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well again, I don't know what else to say . . and like others have said, I don't think we will ever see eye to eye. If we get banned, we can't complain later because you tried warning us. But I'll continue to do it for now as I still don't see anything wrong with what I'm doing.

This is a good forum . .people can actually discuss stuf here and it doesn't turn into mindless flames and hate. Good stuff =)

<3 for DP

billabong7329, Jul 23, 2006 IP