1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

wht is best for me VPS or dedicated???

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by saabji, May 22, 2009.

hello guys
    i have a running forum..
    with over 10 thousand members.
    so i need some decetn VPS or dedicated hosting.
    i have been using shared since years. so i have no idea what should i choose.
    my basic requirement is
    Site Shuld Load Fast..
    i need unlimited outgoing emails, because if i send two newslatters per day that makes 20 k per day..
    im a newbie.. please help

saabji, May 22, 2009 IP
  2. RackSolidHost

RackSolidHost Peon

Best Answers:
    get a managed vps, i recommend wiredtree and liquidweb

RackSolidHost, May 22, 2009 IP
  3. gary4gar

gary4gar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, If you don't have any experience then Managed VPS should be selected. I would Recommend WiredTree for managed services. choose their Managed Hybrid Plan. start at $99 per month with 1GB ram.

If you want something cheap and have experience in managing servers. then get a un-managed VPS.

ANd sending that much email could be a issue, better ask this to the provider first hand before you signup

gary4gar, May 22, 2009 IP
  4. hostcoin

hostcoin Peon

Best Answers:
    I would recommend you to opt for a dedicated server instead of VPS as your website has 10k members and you can not able to send 20K emails per day on VPS hosting plan. You will get optimal performance on dedicated server. If your budget is low then you can consider Hyper-V based VPS. It is like a dedicated server hosting service and can able to perform many functions independently.:)

hostcoin, May 23, 2009 IP
  5. ravee1981

ravee1981 Active Member

Best Answers:
    you do get dedis with quad core processors and 4 gigs of ram for around $80 these days. If that fits your budget go for that. Ot take a vps from my signature :D

ravee1981, May 23, 2009 IP
  6. kailash

kailash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If your site is currently working fine on shared server then it should work with VPS. You can go for VPS and then after if you think your site is facing problem with VPS then you can go for dedicated server. Also, if you are not good in server management, go for manage VPS/Dedicated server.

Kailash

kailash, May 24, 2009 IP
  7. alexpr07

alexpr07 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree with some of the guys here that tell you to get dedicated server or expensive VPS.
    First of all, even with 10K members, how active is your site? I know for a fact VPS can easily handle 10K visitors/day (300K visits a month).

About sending mail:
    I wrote an asp script that pulls e-mail addresses from database and then sends the e-mail using CDO. It sends 20 e-mails, waits 2 seconds, then sends another 20 e-mails, waits 2 seconds and etc...
    That's 400 e-mails in 1 minute, 24K e-mails in 1 hour. I monitored my VPS during this time, memory was barely used and CPU usage increased to 15%-25% during this time. And I was told that I can send unlimited number of e-mails with my VPS.

Stats of my VPS: 800Mhz CPU, 384MB Ram. This VPS plan cost $32/month (monthly) or $27/month with annual payment. Though I recommend getting 512MB of Ram.

alexpr07, May 24, 2009 IP
  8. gary4gar

gary4gar Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem with mass email is not about resources but about spam, as there is a chance that your IP could get blacklisted. its the provider who looses here.

So most providers require proper justification like newsletters should be opt-in etc. some of them enforce a hourly limit like 300mails per hr. that is why i advised OP to consult the provider beforehand

gary4gar, May 24, 2009 IP
  9. Natcoweb.com

Natcoweb.com Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi saabji!
    I'd like to add that moving from shared or vps to dedicated doesn't always mean upgrade in the server performance.
    Providers usually utilize the most powerful servers for shared plans. Say we use the following configuration for our shared hosting plans:

DUAL XEON Quad Core 5430 2.66GHz
    RAM 16Gb FB-DIMM DDR2 667 ECC
    HDD 4x750Gb SATA2 16Mb 3GBps 7200RPM
    RAID 9650SE-4LPML 4xSATA

Naturally when a client decides to move and gets a cheap dedicated server, his site may experience a slower loading speed.
    At the end of the day, if you plan to upgrade, make sure you will have more resources, which means upgrading to powerful dedicated server, which in its turn means more money.

I also want to mention that we offer sponsored hosting for interesting projects, so if you are intertested please feel free to contact me.

Natcoweb.com, May 25, 2009 IP
  10. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My personal opinion, you are over due for a virtual private server.

With 20,000 emails a day, your email requirements are pretty high. Even though you only have 10,000 members, the massive amount of emails your sending puts a nice little load on your server.

My suggestion - take a look at a VPS from Future Hosting. I have been a customer of FH for over 2 years. I started with a basic VPS, then upgraded all the way to an entry level dedicated server with 4 gigs of memory 3 months ago.

I recommend at the very least 512 megs of memory, with either 768 megs or 1 gig more like it. If it was my site, I would go with a VPS and 1 gig of memory. That would leave some room for growth until you need a dedicated.

Your kidding, right? There is a world of difference between shared, vps and dedicated.

I started out with a shared plan, switched host 4 or 5 times because the site was loading so slow. Finally went with a vps and it was great. Once the vps became overloaded, I moved to a dedicated server.

Once you get more then 10,000 people hitting your site everyday, there is no way a shared or VPS can keep up with a dedicated server. If you only getting a couple of hundred hits a day, sure any of them will work. But there is a line where a vps just can not keep up with the traffic.

~kev~, May 26, 2009 IP
  11. Natcoweb.com

Natcoweb.com Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your comment. I do know the difference between shared, vps and dedicated.

As I have said if you upgrade from DUAL XEON Quad Core 5430 2.66GHz where your shared account is hosted to Celeron 331 2.66GHz your site may get slower load time. You may point out there are hundreds of accounts on DUAL XEON, but it's optimized for the performance of the scripts, be it wordpress or phpbb.
    When people upgrade from shared environment where they get everything administered to dedicated where they have to choose between administering
    a server themselves and getting this service from a host. If they choose to do it on their own, they may come across the situation I have described above.

Natcoweb.com, May 27, 2009 IP
  12. nandalinnaung

nandalinnaung Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest dedicated one with minimum dual core...

because most of the shared hosting will not allow more than 1000 email sent per hour... VPS is great, but still you might find that not very happy with your performance, but as a forum, it shall not take more than 5-8% of your server consumption..

I run vbulletin on shared for about 2000 members and it's still okay, but yours have over 10k members, the better question would be your active users in past 90 days.. but i still recommend dedicated..

I have one dedicated server for some of the cache related applications and it treats me well.. so, maybe you might consider medium range dedicated fully managed server.. which you can actually boot and setup everything by yourself.

good luck with the choice.

nandalinnaung, May 27, 2009 IP
  13. tsenseless

tsenseless Active Member

Best Answers:
    A third solution which has not been presented to you is to buy your own server and colocate.

You can pick up a dual core or quad core box with 2gb-4gb memory and a few hds off ebay for 300-400$, specially if you get a sweet deal. After you purchase your own server typically your colocation cost is going to remain around 40-50$/month depending on how much bandwidth you use. That's the price of a midranged VPS.

This would mean you would be responsible for both hardware issues, as well as administration. If you don't feel comfortable with that then go with a VPS or Dedicated server.

tsenseless, May 28, 2009 IP
  14. port23user

port23user Member

Best Answers:
    Having run a site on unmanaged VPS, I'd advise you to get a managed VPS. I'm not saying that unmanaged is always bad, but just that it's a pain to maintain unless you have enough admin experience (if you did, you probably wouldn't be asking here). I lay awake at night sometimes worrying about if the VPS I configured is done correctly.

There are a bundle of managed VPSs that will give you the additional performance you need while not bothering you with the hassle (and liability) of configuring the server. WebFaction is one that looked particularly good to me, but I'm sure there's plenty others.

port23user, Jun 2, 2009 IP
  15. raffo77

raffo77 Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can use a Quad core Intel Q6600, 4GB of ram and 250GB hdd.
    on kimsufi.com

i prefer a dedicate server for a big sites..

i have a site that have 25.000 visitators by day and i have configure Nginx on FreeBSD. i have a Xeon Quad core 2.83ghz with 8gb of ram, now i use 40-60% max of the cpu..

raffo77, Jun 2, 2009 IP