1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Congressman Wants to Make 2010 "Year of the Bible"

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by hostlonestar, May 22, 2009.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090522/pl_politico/22832

Wow....what does everyone feel about this? Discuss.

hostlonestar, May 22, 2009 IP
  2. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with David Silverman. Let them try. it's childish, unconstitutional and unlikely to succeed, But it's just the last ditch death throws of a diminishing cult. I almost feel a little sorry for them; only almost and only a little, though.

stOx, May 22, 2009 IP
  3. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not all christians believe in this. In true christianity even jesus saw the importance of separation of church and state. Im sure the extemist atheists will have a field day with this one as most havent ready the bible themselves at all and are experts at cherry picking parts of it so it suits their hidden agendas.

pingpong123, May 22, 2009 IP
  4. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I find the idea of a member of congress pushing this repugnant. Keep church and state separated.

Keep any form of religeous zealotry at a minimum. Keep people from lording their form of religeousity on other people.

The frigging religeous zealots of the Taliban drove people from the areas of Pakistan that they are migrating to by enforcing a form of extreme religeon. The Israelis would be more amenable to working a land for peace deal with Palestinians based on two needs; one of which is based on their own religeous zealots..the Orthodox Jews. Get those people out of settlements and life would be easier. The other requirement is that not only must the Palestinians recognize Israel...it must be strictly and rigidly enforced.

The US is a unique nation that is accepting of many religeons and many ways to practise religeons. Don't start muddying up the waters.

earlpearl, May 22, 2009 IP
  5. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly!

Quick someone digg this article and submit it to all the social bookmarking sites you can. We need to help these guys get some publicity.

The Republicans can't seem to hang themselves fast enough and they are crying out our help. Let's make this a team effort!

Any Republicans care to comment? No? Such fair weather friends :(

GeorgeB., May 22, 2009 IP
  6. Vekseid

Vekseid Peon

Best Answers:
    "True Christianity"? Is there such a thing? I respect the Gnostic beliefs a lot, for example - I am pretty sure the only tenet everyone will agree on for such a thing is that Christians are followers of / believers in Christ.

As for this legislation, it's nice to see it flying like an anchor. I would hope it acts as an anchor for congressman Broun's reelection prospects, but that's a bit much to ask of Georgia I think >_>

And the Sun sets on the East side of the Moon, you say.

Vekseid, May 22, 2009 IP
  7. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    Apparently 15 republicans that cosponsored this aren't too bright. Their constituants will eat them apart.

And, you assume most of us conservative minded people are republican. Most of the people on this board that are conservitive minded are actually libertarian. I personally can't stand the Republican party. I hope both party's collapse. It's about time we got a 3rd party elected.

Hopefully the rest of Congress stays as far away from this bill, minus the ones in charge of the committee this has to go through, the ones that dont' even let it get introduced, as possible. We don't need this kind of crap.

hostlonestar, May 22, 2009 IP
  8. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This sounds just about as clever as Black History Month

Obamanation, May 23, 2009 IP
  9. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    lol. You know what is funny? Everyone but whites have a history or heritage something :rolleyes:.

hostlonestar, May 23, 2009 IP
  10. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Yeh, and I don't see any outcry about it either. Its OK for the government to get involved in idiocy, so long as its something like Black History Month, or Islam Day in Hawaii. If it has anything to do with Whites or Christians, it must be bad.

11. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yeh, poor white christians, that notoriously persecuted minority. :rolleyes:

stOx, May 23, 2009 IP
  12. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Hypocrisy by any other name is still....

nice diversion though.

13. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I meant to say the true tenants of christianity is belief in separation of church and state. This is only one way that there can be respect for the law of the land and also respect for each persons beliefs.

pingpong123, May 23, 2009 IP
  14. jumpboy11jaop

jumpboy11jaop Peon

Best Answers:
    The only tenet of chritianity is to twist the words of some 2,000 year old (and in some cases more) book to whatever happens to suit your purposes at the time.

Is fighting in Iraq a tenet of christianity too?

jumpboy11jaop, May 23, 2009 IP
  15. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Obama made a good speech on why government needs to be secular. I especially liked the bits where he called the sermon on the mount "a passage so radical it's doubtful our own defence department would survive it's application" and why religious opinions need to be expressed using secular language if we are to use them to legislate. In other words, being opposed to gay marriage on the grounds that it's against your religion isn't a good enough reason to make it illegal.

I don't entirely agree with Obama, but he's the next best thing to an atheist president.

stOx, May 24, 2009 IP
  16. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It sucks being the majority race. It's a tough burden to bear.

I guess the only solace I can offer is that within the next 40 years that burden will be lifted.

Then we can have a white history month and remember the times when you were the majority.

Hallelujah?

GeorgeB., May 24, 2009 IP
  17. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Are you saying a race or religion requires minority status to receive preferential treatment by our government? Isn't that the essence of discrimination?

Obamanation, May 24, 2009 IP
  18. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    I know, I know, discrimination is ok now since it happened to someone decades ago :rolleyes:. Stox, it is not ok to discriminate one way or the other against anyone. I don't care if your purple, if you are the most qualified for the job, you get it. Heck, most of the people that pull the race card weren't even around in the 60's, let alone the early 1800's.

hostlonestar, May 25, 2009 IP
  19. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    I just wish certain people in our government agreed with this. I don't care what someone does in the privacy of their home. If they want to be married, so be it. Whatever. I don't care lol.

I think having a law based on religious beliefs is a dangerous encroachment on the 1st Amendmant (specifically Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion). This, in essence, is establishing a religious rule over the country.

hostlonestar, May 25, 2009 IP