1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Desiging for different browsers

Discussion in 'CSS' started by c4cyber, May 23, 2009.

Hi guys!

I have just started to design in CSS - Table less approach
    My questions are:

1) how i can code my css for different browsers?
    2) what browsers and resolutions i need to test my css design? so it would be same in IE or in any other browser?

c4cyber, May 23, 2009 IP
  2. coldfinga

coldfinga Peon

Best Answers:
    Use a site like browsershots .org....and keep in mind different the resolutions as well.

coldfinga, May 23, 2009 IP
  3. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Write your markup using current standards and generally it will work in all browsers (sometimes even IE). Test your browser in the most standards compliant browser available (that means NEVER IE). Once you know your markup is working, then check to see if/when IE screws things up.

drhowarddrfine, May 23, 2009 IP
  4. parisdns

parisdns Peon

Best Answers:
    Code, test, code again then test again and again, key to sucess...

parisdns, May 23, 2009 IP
  5. wd_2k6

wd_2k6 Peon

Best Answers:
    theres no need to code for diff browsers its up 2 the browsers to follow standards if they dont its there problems as long as you're following standards its ok.
    as for resolutions try 2 avoid horizonal scrolling

wd_2k6, May 23, 2009 IP
  6. along1

along1 Peon

Best Answers:
    you have to practise and some day you will be great coder.

along1, May 24, 2009 IP
  7. V_tpp

V_tpp Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well...
    The guys are right. Code within the standards and leave IE worries aside until you're done.
    If your css then validates but your site looks bad in IE, the best fix would be to create a separe css file for it and correct the errors rendered in IE in that file.
    To check your site in all versions of IE you can use IE Tester (google it). Better than just some still images like browsershots give you.;)

V_tpp, May 27, 2009 IP
  8. c4cyber

c4cyber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, i got an idea. I would try to follow the standards and usual coding techinques.

c4cyber, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  9. NathanCH

NathanCH Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What? I'm sorry but that's the dumbest thing I've read in awhile. It's the complete opposite. The standards set out by W3 are a guideline on how to make a website, not absolute laws that must be followed. You want your website to work in as many browsers as possible, if not ALL browsers.

Using hacks to make your site in Internet Explorer is okay. It's perfectly fine. Yes, your site will not validate, but ask any professional web developer, and they will tell you the exact same thing - it doesn't make a difference because W3 is only a guideline to help you, the coder.

Your site should work in all these browsers (in order of importance):

1. Internet Explorer 7
    2. Internet Explorer 8
    3. FireFox
    4. Internet Explorer 6
    5. Safari
    6. Opera
    7. Other

If you can't get it pixel perfect, simply make a css comment that specifies to only Internet Explorer. It's very easy to do.

NathanCH, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  10. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    So if you don't want to follow the W3C, who do YOU follow? Microsoft and Mozilla and Opera and Apple all wrote those standards and signed off on them and advocate you using them so who do YOU follow?
    I'm a professional coder and I say that's a line of BS. If you can't make your page standards compliant then you are incompetent.
    More BS. Test in a modern, standards compliant browser first, which is NEVER any version of IE. Then and only then check to see if and when IE screws it up. You can apply 'conditional comments' to fix IE. Even Microsoft warns to beware of "hacks" in the new browser and not to use them!

drhowarddrfine, Jun 2, 2009 IP
  11. NathanCH

NathanCH Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh god... the stupidity continues.

NathanCH, Jun 2, 2009 IP
  12. bayubayu

bayubayu Peon

Best Answers:
    For testing your page in different IE versions, use IETester (http: //www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage).

IETester contains IE8,IE7,IE6 and IE5.5, so It will help you much.

Like it or not, we cannot ignore the fact that IE is a most used web browser in the world. So make sure that IE users can view your website displayed properly like in other browsers.

bayubayu, Jun 2, 2009 IP
  13. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Well then you need to correct yourself before you get worse. I've never seen posts like yours among devs who know what they're doing.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 3, 2009 IP
  14. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That's not actually factual. The standards are written for those who implement the user agents; not for those who author for those UAs. Browsers are programmed to work as described in the recommendations. Some are better/worse than others. It is incumbent on web authors to write according to these standards.

There have been forum comments implying that there are no standards, only recommendations; as if a recommendation had little weight. These people are ignorant of the Way Things Work®.

The W3C calls their standards "recommendations". They are still the standards, and if you ignore them when authoring a page, you risk indeterminant results.

The IETF calls their standards "Request for Comments" (RFCs). They are not any less standards for being RFCs. Try sending an email with your home-coded mail agent that doesn't comply with RFC 2822. Good luck with getting through.

IEC/ISO calls their standards "standards". Whatever is the world coming to? :) Even if called standards, they are not any more binding than W3C's recommendations, or IETF's RFCs.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jun 3, 2009 IP
  15. wd_2k6

wd_2k6 Peon

Best Answers:
    You code to standards not to browsers, if a browser messes it up it is simply the browsers problem, not the coders (presuming it is not a coding error). Browsers that mess things up would not be well known anyway, IE only is because it's MS and all, why should I go out of my way to add hacks for their inabilities?
    Imo it is on the browsers to get things to display the same way, and the only way to do that is to set standards..

I'd rather have good code which worked in no browser than thousands of lines bad code which was browser compatabile.

wd_2k6, Jun 3, 2009 IP