1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I am being sued for my own images - help needed

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by sreenatpppp, May 11, 2009.

1. Rande273

Rande273 Guest

Best Answers:
    That would depend on how serious it is.

Rande273, May 16, 2009 IP
  2. wanderinglex47

wanderinglex47 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are they really yours? If yes, you can send the guy somewhere far, but not before you make sure you've got the original pictures on the camera or at least the timestamps of their upload to the site (if any). Or you could check Google cache or Web Time Machine to see whose site had the pictures first... Then send him all the proof, if he doesn't comply, send them to his hosting company, they should take them down.

wanderinglex47, May 17, 2009 IP
  3. xxKillswitch

xxKillswitch Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have deleted the images from camera / flash card, you can try recovery software. I have been able to recover EVERYTHING from a flash card that I used on a camera, including a couple videos and all images.

I would also save the notice he sent you. This seems almost like extortion or something, trying to force you will false claims into paying him for property he owns no rights to. I would send another email telling him to remove it, and I would still persue it. Atleast you can make a couple from him and teach him a lesson.

xxKillswitch, May 17, 2009 IP
  4. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Can we get a name and shame to start with?

RectangleMan, May 18, 2009 IP
  5. Ribbon

Ribbon Member

Best Answers:
    sreenatapppp, keep us updated on your progress.

xxkillswitch, what recovery software do you recommend?

Ribbon, May 19, 2009 IP
  6. link2swim06

link2swim06 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sue his ass back to the stone age. The pictures will have a unique code that corresponds to your camera. This clearly identifies you as the owner and you have legal recourse.

link2swim06, May 19, 2009 IP
  7. sreenatpppp

sreenatpppp Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for your suggestions. thanks for your support in these seemingly hard times.

That guy has actually removed those pics from his blog. I think that notice sent to me is just to make me frustrated. or he must we watching this thread and must have seen all your comments which would have frightened him :). anyway the problem is solved for me.

I have a few questions if someone in this thread can help me understand.

1.Now that he has removed the pics from his blog, can i still go ahead and sue him.
    2.what if he claims that he cannot pay/will not pay? all that he looses would be his blog. am i right?
    3.in my case the images were taken long back. and I do not have that camera now. so is there no way that i can prove that those are mine.

sreenatpppp, May 20, 2009 IP
  8. DirtyRedFace

DirtyRedFace Peon

Best Answers:
    1.Now that he has removed the pics from his blog, can i still go ahead and sue him.
    You would need some type of proof showing that he was using you images and that he gained something by using your images.

2.what if he claims that he cannot pay/will not pay? all that he looses would be his blog. am i right?
    He would have to pay up. If he doesn't have the money then his wages will garnished and you will be paid over time.

3.in my case the images were taken long back. and I do not have that camera now. so is there no way that i can prove that those are mine.
    Do you have the original images on your computer or on some type of storage? I would say that is your only chance of proving that the images are truly yours.

DirtyRedFace, May 22, 2009 IP
  9. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm all for copyright enforcement, but pursuing such a matter would be pointless. A waste of your time and money. Has there been damage to your reputation? What is that worth?

How many people actually saw the images? Has it impacted on your profitability?

To get a final judgement you must pursue the matter relentlessly all the way. You won't get a snap judgement. You may be right, but there is a process in which to prove that. And it is costly.

You could seek an undertaking, where he signs a statement saying that he won't do it again. Which can then be used to support your case if he does do it again.

If I were in the same position I'd email the guy and say that you've noticed that the images have been removed, and that it is appreciated. And that you'll pretend that he never sent that ridiculous email with the unbelievable demands. Keep the correspondence civil. In case you ever need to rely on it being used in court.

Reprobate, May 22, 2009 IP
  10. koan

koan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you he should probably just move on but the fact that the a**hole sent him a letter threatening to sue... we should find a way to make him sweat a little before he's off the hook ;) He deserves the anguish.

koan, May 22, 2009 IP
  11. KDisk

KDisk Peon

Best Answers:
    I would not sue him unless he is a large company PROFITING from your images. A DMCA Letter should do. You may spend more money in Legal Fees then you get out of it

KDisk, May 23, 2009 IP
    Reprobate likes this.
  12. hadeedg

hadeedg Banned

Best Answers:
    yes try and sue him

hadeedg, May 24, 2009 IP
  13. longblog

longblog Active Member

Best Answers:
    Always shoot in raw and have your camera settings imprint the copyright data and date. No contest.

longblog, May 25, 2009 IP
  14. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a real joker, trying to sue you for something he doesn't own in the first place. But since he already removed the photos, I don't see any reason for you to pursue the matter further.

Ibn Juferi, May 25, 2009 IP
  15. rfhm

rfhm Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you should let that poor soul alone. Don't wast money sue someone unknown. Why those people don't make their own pictures...! At least... it's legal. =D

rfhm, May 25, 2009 IP
  16. Traffic2

Traffic2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds as if it is pretty much sorted out. But I can see how annoying this would be - just very odd that he would come back and say he was going to sue you??

Traffic2, May 25, 2009 IP
  17. koan

koan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He's not a poor soul. He's an a**hole.

"odd" is putting it mildly. Can you imagine the level of dishonesty? If it happened to me, I would seek vengeance. But I'm easily irritated on matters of copyright :mad:

koan, May 25, 2009 IP
  18. geester1

geester1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you have the disc, send him a letter telling him "see you in court..." He stands NO chance! Someone tried this with me and I ended up with a counter cliam for $42,750 and I won! They thought they couldn't be stopped because they were in Asia - I was the wrong person to pi** with.

geester1, May 25, 2009 IP
  19. enhu

enhu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol... well just to punish his act do it. :D

enhu, May 26, 2009 IP
  20. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If I was a lawyer, I would have seriously fought for you and like someone said, rubbed his face on his faeces.
    You should try to explore legal options to sue the hell out of him. Such nerve..

Keep us updated

Blogspotter, May 26, 2009 IP