1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you think about the new Infraction System?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by joeychgo, Jul 21, 2006.

What do you think about the new Infraction System here at DP?

I am asking this because I am about to write an article about it for vBulletin-FAQ - and want to give a more complete article then just my opinion.

If you dont want to post your thoughts, feel free to PM me and I will keep your name confidential.

Oh - and one more thing - please dont post something like "Its Bullshit" -- that doesnt tell me much. WHY dont you like it? How did it make you feel? Etc.

Thanks for your help folks...

BTW - Im giving green rep for those who post a thourough review.

-

joeychgo, Jul 21, 2006 IP
    SumitBahl likes this.
  2. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As a user I find myself disliking it.

It's not that I dislike the 'idea' of an infraction system, I just don't really agree with how it's being implemented here.

For one, reaching a certain number of "infraction points" is an automated ban. When it comes to banning your members, automation isn't really something I think is a very good idea.

For seconds, just like rep, I don't like the anonymitity - you can't see who's giving you these infractions. I think you should always be able to face your accusers.

Lastly, some of the reasons you can get an infraction I also disagree with. It seems a simple difference of opinion (where a topic should go for example) can lead to infractions..

PS: If you want to dispute an infraction, who is it that you're supposed to contact? Since you don't know who's giving it you can't contact that person...

The same I felt before I saw it :D , I deserved the one that I've gotten so it wasn't any big deal to me. However I can understand why others may get frustrated (like gworld has).

Any time ;)

Edit:
    PPS: I also think there should a time limit as to when a post can get you an infraction. Gworld says he got an infraction for something like over 2 months old... I find that silly as well.

yo-yo, Jul 21, 2006 IP
    joeychgo, maldives and falcondriver like this.
  3. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    er yes you can! Go to the post that you got the infraction at, click da red rep button...[​IMG] and it tells you who gave it to you.

er...I think it's too hard to get them!! I had to BEG to get one!!! :D:D:D

Nintendo, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  4. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I honestly haven't even noticed it. I've seen a couple of threads, but I thought it was just a synonym for negative rep.

Though I do agree with yo-yo on the automated ban issue, I'd have to disagree on a time limit. I would say that you shouldn't get infractions expost facto (sp?), but once the infraction system is in place, all of your posts should be in play.

I don't know that an infraction system is really necessary on smaller sites, but as sites grow like this one has, you need something to help keep the masses in order.

nevetS, Jul 21, 2006 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  5. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oops.. well thanks for correcting me on that, I wasn't aware! :eek:

So you think they should be able to go back to your posts from 2 years ago, rack up 10 infraction points and ban you?

I have to disagree with your disagreement :D ... there should be a time limit (if there isn't one already).

yo-yo, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  6. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How does it make you feel to get an infraction?

How do you think it reflects on the site? Many people hate the rep system, and some have sworn off DP because of that. Do you think the infraction system can do more harm then good?

Does receiving an infraction change your behavior? Does it do any good?

joeychgo, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  7. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    The Infraction system is kinda cool,

I mean recieving infractions is a nice friendly way to get a warning,

I have seen other forums where it says " warning " next to your name, and that could be imbrassing

This system, I know because I have recieved 2 of them , is a nice way of setting my ass straight and reminding me that somethings are not allowed

It is also cool how the infractions can be given with no points or with points

That makes it way better as well, because a mod, could just simply warn you without you loosing anything (points)

From what I also have read is that it takes 10 infractions to get banned, which does really make this fair in itself,

I mean if you get 10 infractions you simply are a :

spammer, cant read the rules , or just dont belong here to begin with

I also like the way it email s you and tell you why you recieved it,

There has to be rules no matter where you live or hangout, and I think this is a very fair and peaceful warning system

Well thats mt review , Hope this helped

Joe

sundaybrew, Jul 21, 2006 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  8. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    You do realize the mods are the only people that can give you infractions, right? If a mod wanted to ban someone that bad, they could do so manually. And trust me, we don't need to go looking for people to ban. :p

We don't give infractions to posts posted before the infraction system was in place, unless a certain post is being repeatedly reported and we see it fit to do so.

ViciousSummer, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  9. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes.

Sounds reasonable, but as seen in gworld's thread, users are already getting infractions for posts they made before the system was put in place. I don't think that's fair, I know it's a silly example but what if you made a new rule saying no one could post live links, then you went and started banning people for posting live links in posts 6 months old...

Hopefully I don't come off like I'm whining about the system, because I'm not.. personally I haven't had a problem with it (yet). But I do think some improvements could be made :)

yo-yo, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Where do you see it? I just get the same information about the point and time, nothing about who gave the infraction.

gworld, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  11. SumitBahl

SumitBahl Reign of Chaos

Best Answers:
    A few of my friends have received infractions. The reasons they got infractions were totally justified and they did learn from those infractions.

The infraction system is perfect. But its implementation may create problems at some forums.

I see a lot of members whining about the infraction they received, and i have seen some of them are not justified and in some cases i even saw MODS rake them back, but MODS are humans after all.

The problem with infraction system is that it is manual. Its implementation at various forums would be a different and we would continue to see members whining.

I myself, am yet to receive any infractions. But i don't understand why people make such a fuss about their infractions. Its a warning to them and they don't do any harm until you decide to keep repeating what you were warned off and collect 10 infraction points (which would get you banned). Your current infraction expire with time, so just be careful in future.

SumitBahl, Jul 21, 2006 IP
    joeychgo and maldives like this.
  12. Nintendo

Best Answers:
    It looks like there was a usergroup 'bug' for those of us with our own usertitle and Shawn just fixed it!! Now I also don't get the name of who gave it!!!!

Nintendo, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  13. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Actually, "users" are not getting infractions for posts they made before the system was implimented, one user happened to get one. I'm sure someone reported the post and a mod didn't see that the post was old. No big deal, I reversed it since it was such a huge deal. :p

Yeah, that is a silly example. And what if Nintendo broke into my house and used my computer to issue infractions to everyone!! Oh the horror! :eek: ;)

Improvement can almost always be made and since this is a brand new system I'm sure it will be tweaked and modded to make it better.

14. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    When exactly was the official open of the infraction system

15. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Early June 2006.

16. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Thanx for the answer , I liked that link in your sig as well!

I will be donating to him :D:D

ViciousSummer likes this.
  17. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I personally feel something like this is necessary here!

maldives, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  18. Nintendo

Best Answers:
    June 7th, if Shawn upgraded the same day Beta 1 was released.

Nintendo, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  19. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

Thanx, I think I might have almost been the first to get one , I bumped a thread , I believe,

I learned not to do that again:)

sundaybrew, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  20. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    The more mods are there, the more bias will come in. Opinions whether a member should be banned or not may vary. I think that the infraction system is a good way to help control a large forum. Mods should always judge each post individually and let the system work out the rest.

Blogmaster, Jul 22, 2006 IP