1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Page Rank vs SERPs

Discussion in 'Google' started by kbeus21, May 22, 2009.

I am writing this post in an attempt to separate the difference between Page Rank and SERPs Position. Page Rank is an arbitrary ranking system that decided on a number between 1-10 on the amount and quality of backlinks towards your website. Page Rank has very little to nothing to do with SERPs position for a certain key term. The only advantage of having high Page Rank is if your selling links on your home page other than that it has very little to no affect on where you website is on SERPs pages in fact a much better thing to rely on rather than Page Rank is a good backlink checker. Anyway stop trying to raise Page Rank and instead focus on good SEO and work on raising your SERPs position. If there are any experienced webmasters that believe PR and SERPs position are interlinked I would gladly discuss the matter with you.

kbeus21, May 22, 2009 IP
  2. touches93

touches93 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You might be wrong that Pagerank depends on the "amount" of backlinks. It must be a link from a high PR page. I have a PR5 homepage which has only 1 backlink, a pr7 page.

touches93, May 22, 2009 IP
  3. dairyman

dairyman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The PR seems to have some (little) effect in influencing the SERP but you can get a top ten ranking with no PR, even for a competitive niche.

dairyman, May 22, 2009 IP
  4. Earnest01

Earnest01 Peon

Best Answers:
    And what is the advantage of selling links? This is something that can affect rankings dramatically, and adversely.

Earnest01, May 22, 2009 IP
  5. siflur

siflur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He said "the amount and quality of backlinks towards your website". Please read the post before you comment.

siflur, May 22, 2009 IP
  6. siflur

siflur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The PageRank system is just a measurement system. So saying that your PageRank has a little to no effect is the same as saying off page seo has a little to no effect. - Which is wrong!
    The Google Toolbar (PageRank toolbar) is pretty much like the speedometer in your car. The speedometer itself doesn't make you drive faster. It is pretty much the same here. It shows, as you said, the amount and quality of backlinks towards your website. It is the backlinks that will make you rank higher, not the PageRank. That's why I think you are wrong. You can read more here:
    http://infolab.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html

siflur, May 22, 2009 IP
  7. Supersaddler

Supersaddler Peon

Best Answers:
    Pagerank is a little green bar, always nice to have high PR but if you interested in attaining high SERPS then they are the only figures you should be interested in

Supersaddler, May 22, 2009 IP
  8. xlcho

xlcho Guest

Best Answers:
    You are generally right, but there are exceptions. My blog has only a PR 2, but it ranks in the first or second page on most of the keywords, which are in a post title or main subject of the post :)

xlcho, May 22, 2009 IP
  9. siflur

siflur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, there are no exceptions. What you are saying here isn't against what I said.

siflur, May 22, 2009 IP
  10. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, I'am calling you on that statement. Please provide the site name that is pr 5 with only one backlink. The wikipedia page on thomas jefferson has a page rank of 6, and has over 500 backlinks. Some of those links are from places like the white house and US congress websites. But for some reason you can get PR 5 with a single link?

Wikipedia is a good example of how page rank can affect your ranking in the results pages. Inner pages from wikipedia have a high page rank, and rank very well in google results pages.

The more a site is linked to, the more often it ranks higher in the results pages. If you do a google search for "news" - the first sites are CNN, foxnews, abcnews, news.google.com, news.yahoo.com. What does not rank well is someones personal blog about the news.

The difference between a giant news site and someones personal blog on the news - number of pages, how often its updated, <insert several other factors here> and Page Rank.

Even though PR may not play a "major" roll in where your site ranks, I think it is a factor.

~kev~, May 22, 2009 IP
  11. lindamood1

lindamood1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    quality link decide pr, serp not imp for pr

lindamood1, May 22, 2009 IP
  12. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I only concentrate on Serps
    PR is a waste of time ...
    Regards

w3bmaster, May 22, 2009 IP
  13. kittyluver

kittyluver Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes... PR is waste of time. If you're a link master, they you can mint money from high PR backlinks.

kittyluver, May 22, 2009 IP
  14. R2-D2™

R2-D2™ Peon

Best Answers:
    If you build links from good quality sites with high PR (which is what you need to rise in SERPs) then you're going to rise in the SERPs anyway whether you like it or not, providing you've done eveything else right.

I don't think its wise to completely ignore something Google (the guys we're trying to co-operate with) invented and undoubtedly has some influence in their algorithms.

R2-D2™, May 22, 2009 IP
  15. praetserge

praetserge Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good pr is good, and high serp is good, i think high pr will stabilise your serp positions and will attract more visitors over time. I've heard it all when blogs with pr next to 0 claim they rank on first page but then they come back here and ask why their website went 100+ positions down. Consistency is the key and pr gives it.

praetserge, May 22, 2009 IP
  16. eLeSlash

eLeSlash Active Member

Best Answers:
    SERP is better than PR because traffic earns you money its that simple. But of course things changes when the pr of your website is more than 5-6...

eLeSlash, May 22, 2009 IP
  17. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    "The only advantage of having high Page Rank is if your selling links on your home page other than that it has very little to no affect on where you website is on SERPs pages in fact a much better thing to rely on rather than Page Rank is a good backlink checker"

According to Google, PR is one of the 200 factors that are considered for a site while ranking it in SERPs. So yes, just trying to increase PR is not good. We should work on getting relevant and quality backlinks and good content, PR will automatically come among with good ranking in SERPs.

angilina, May 22, 2009 IP
  18. kandyan

kandyan Peon

Best Answers:
    Pagerank is not affected to search results. I have a PR05 blog but just 200 visitors per day.

kandyan, May 22, 2009 IP
  19. Javapro

Javapro Peon

Best Answers:
    It is nice to have a pagerank of 6 or more, but I all work on my site SERPs

Javapro, May 22, 2009 IP
  20. Link.ezer.com

Link.ezer.com Peon

Best Answers:
    They may or not related. Some times they still confused me for many key words SERP I searched.
    Here is a tool maybe can help you to see if there is any relationship between sites PR , SERP and traffics http://livepr.ezer.com/google_serps_pagerank_checker.asp

Hope you can find something else.

Best regards,

Link.ezer.com, May 22, 2009 IP