1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adsense - Tell Us what does NOT work!

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Corwin, Jul 21, 2006.

I realize that some people here may not be willing to share exactly what works with their Adsense campaigns... but I'd like to start a discussion on what does NOT work.

I will tell you what works for me with Adsense right off - a "how-to" site. Best example is a site on professional carpentry that tells you how to build different projects. The Google ads that come up are for (surprise!) carpentry supplies - the site brings in a reliable $5K/month. The Google ads are well integrated and look like part of the site.

Now, I have one site that is basically five pages. It is an automotive enthusiast site geared towards a particular niche market.

This automotive site has a nice, clean design, with comments and references to useful resources on this car. Two Adsense banners were integrated into the site in a format that very much looked like the links I had placed to earlier sites. The site was earning me a reliable $15-$20 per day.

UNTIL... I placed a 20-second video of the car on the site - I thought, hey, it's a nice vid, and maybe people will come back just to see this video. Despite the fact that the number of visitors ticked up, my Adsense dollars dropped to about $10 a day.

My theory: people watched the vid, and when it was over their site experience was over, so they left!

Any other Adsense learning experiences that any of you want to share?

Corwin, Jul 21, 2006 IP
    ecolatur and iskandar like this.
  2. wissam

wissam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, yea ...... I used the image with the ads method and it worked for my Japan animation site and topsites ...
    thats all <_<

wissam, Jul 21, 2006 IP
    ecolatur likes this.
  3. fordP

fordP Peon

Best Answers:
    The image's near ads work the best for me. I have only been tricked once by google ads and that happened yesterday on a myspace template site. I saw their small 40x40 or so images and instantly assumed that since it was in the middle of the page that it was a list of categorys (6 images on the left, 2 large rectanlge ads to the right) i was browsing quickly as I was in a hurry to get a promotional myspace up. That is the best presentation ive seen lately

fordP, Jul 21, 2006 IP
    ecolatur likes this.
  4. wissam

wissam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can you post the URl of the site you are talking about ...?

wissam, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  5. NoobieDoobieDo

NoobieDoobieDo Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with your opinion about the videos taking away from your adsense revenue. People only do an average of X amount of clicks per page they visit. When you give them a video to watch you are doing a few things :

1. Placing their focus in one area - no more scanning of the page.
    2. Taking away one of the clicks your page would other wise receive somewhere else.
    3. Creating a pleasure mechanism so to speak, the idea is videos=fun, fun=stay. No more videos, no more fun, no more fun, no more stay.

A little basic but you get the idea.

NoobieDoobieDo, Jul 21, 2006 IP
    ecolatur likes this.
  6. JasMate

JasMate Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would also like to see some good example of adsense use. I like the idea of pictures - if I use pictures should I link the pictures to parts of my site also or just leave it unlinked?

JasMate, Jul 22, 2006 IP
    ecolatur likes this.
  7. snoopgst

snoopgst Peon

Best Answers:
    the pics next to ads generate about 1/10 for me. Compared to 10/1 with no images.

snoopgst, Jul 22, 2006 IP
    ecolatur likes this.
  8. Tyler Banfield

Tyler Banfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Clicking your own ads

Tyler Banfield, Jul 22, 2006 IP
    ecolatur likes this.
  9. Twan

Twan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really? Man, I've been doing it all wrong! Why didn't anyone tell me this?

Twan, Jul 22, 2006 IP
    ecolatur likes this.
  10. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Th trick is probably to keep distractions (non-adsense) links to a minimum on each page.

qwestcommunications, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  11. corinaw

corinaw Not Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi Corwin, What is the timeframe of your issue? It might not be the video.
    the only other comment I have is Google released an update I call "big duddy" (big daddy) and I have not made any major changes to my site in response to this as I wanted to make sure the major issues google has had in indexing the web were resolved. My adsense dropped by about 50% in may, june from both traffic (indexed pages) and ppc (out of my control)

I have recovered quite nicely in july, but I see some poor ppc over the last few days.

corinaw, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  12. Tyler Banfield

Tyler Banfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have to buy a lot of AdSense E-Books to find out secrets like that

Tyler Banfield, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  13. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can help with what works and this can be spread to any type of advertising on websites. Feel free to click around and learn..tell friends,, enemies... competition I don't care it's free!!!!!!!!!

http://www.increasectr.com

Damn me for marketing like a fool!!!:D

Sem-Advance, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  14. nuttymarketer

nuttymarketer Peon

Best Answers:
    I must be crazy. But I changed my focus to a particular type of audience and my CTR got 3 times up and my earning per click stay the same. Please do not take it as joke. Its true.

To my best knowledge, focus brings better results than junks.

Nuttymarketer

nuttymarketer, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  15. Claymation

Claymation Peon

Best Answers:
    Uhhh....forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a thread here somewhere that states Google has been clear regarding the fact they require a border around any ads that have an image next to them (or above, etc.)?
    Something about distinguishing them as ads, and not using images to draw attention to them in any way.

So if this is true, the advice you are giving on that page doesn't apply to situations such as...ummmm...the one you are using on that page?
    :rolleyes:

Claymation, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  16. vbwiz

vbwiz Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been meaning to ask a question about the border, doesn't Google Ads already has a bolder that we can make visible? Will that border be enough or do we actually need a html coded border around the ads?

Thanks in advance.

vbwiz, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  17. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Claymation

A thread here at DP in reference to Google Policy is one to be followed???

I am not sure where you are from but 3rd parties speaking on anothers policies without employ or hire by such company would be speculation at best.

I do not deal in speculation.

Were you want to know Googles policies on Adsense, I would suggest you visit

https://www.google.com/adsense/policies

If you find something about needing borders to seperate from images on that page, feel free to post back here with the line stating such ....thank you!

Peace

Sem-Advance, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  18. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Also if you look at the Adsense Ads at the bottom of the last post in this and other threads they are aligned next to an image that tells people to click to reply basically....

19. vbwiz

vbwiz Peon

Best Answers:
    Where is it exactly? I dont' see any more ads in this forum except for the top right and the small between posts ads.

Wait now I see it, I guess it appears randomly between posts but that's not what the other guy was referring to, he meant posting image exactly above or beside an adsense without border, I read something about that in therichjerk ebook also so the point might be valid.

vbwiz, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  20. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Yes there is an image next to the ad links...says "Post Reply" if you are not sure it is an image right click then choose View As Image.....

I read Googles terms and conditions. There is nothing about adding a border or such ....they seem to have nothing to say about it so the richjerk would be another "mistaken opine"

Peace