1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WP Help - I'm very new.

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by JBMedia, May 21, 2009.

Hello everyone. I was wanting to start a niche blog and I noticed that Wordpress.org has the best capabilities for me to do what I want. However, it says that it requires PHP and MySQL. I went to download MySQL and I don't even know which one to download seeing how there's 3 different options for Windows.
    So, the couple questions I have as of right now are,
    1. Which of the three on the MySQL download page do I need to download, if not all?
    2. Is it going to be difficult for me to use a wordpress.org blog if I don't have any previous experience with PHP and MySQL?
    3. Is there any sites anyone knows about that could maybe further assist me with making my own wordpress.org blog with MySQL and PHP?

Any help is DEEPLY appreciated. I very much would prefer not to use blogspot or a wordpress.com blog, because from what I've been reading, they don't have as much functionality.

Thank you all very much! :)
    ~Jesse

JBMedia, May 21, 2009 IP
  2. chennai2020

chennai2020 Banned

Best Answers:
    you can download wordpress from wordpress.rg as a zip file. you need to have ur own domain name and hosting space where u can upload this files and create a new blog of ur own like mine

http://www.veerapandian.com

chennai2020, May 21, 2009 IP
  3. dpwebmasterseo

dpwebmasterseo Banned

Best Answers:
    lol, you don't need to download mysql/php :p
    they come with your web hosting.

dpwebmasterseo, May 21, 2009 IP
  4. N2D

N2D Peon

Best Answers:
    What do u mean? blogspot & wordpress don't have much funtionality?

N2D, May 21, 2009 IP
  5. JBMedia

JBMedia Active Member

Best Answers:
    So once I actually purchase a domain and hosting plan, then I can just upload the worpress file that I download from wordpress.org and get started? Almost sounds to easy :)

It's not something that I'm stating as facts, like I said, it's just what I've heard from people. Wordpress.com blogs you can't advertise on at all, and there are minor things I dont particulary like about blogspot blogs.

Thanks for the help guys! :)

JBMedia, May 21, 2009 IP
  6. N2D

N2D Peon

Best Answers:
    Blogger is the best dude, find some blogger tutorial site nd learn from there. *See ya*

N2D, May 21, 2009 IP
  7. JBMedia

JBMedia Active Member

Best Answers:
    Realize I'm not looking for blogger help. I've created plenty of blogger blogs, no offense, but if you don't have WP information to help me with, then please don't post. Keep this on topic.

JBMedia, May 21, 2009 IP
  8. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can either A. download the latest version of wordpress, upload all of the files to your website, create a mysql database, and install WP. or B. Use Fantastico, located in most web host's cPanels (control panel), for an easier way to install wordpress on your website with a few clicks of a mouse.

micksss, May 21, 2009 IP
  9. JBMedia

JBMedia Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice thanks for that information micks. I'll make sure the host I'm getting with has cPanel for me :)

JBMedia, May 21, 2009 IP
  10. Ikki

Ikki Peon

Best Answers:
    While fantastico is great, it won't hurt if you learn how to set up a Wordpress blog manually. It's quite simple actually, you might want to give it a try.

Ikki, May 21, 2009 IP
  11. JBMedia

JBMedia Active Member

Best Answers:
    Of course, I'll go ahead and try that out first, if I run into any problems I'll post them up on here and ask for some more assistance. But if I can't seem to get it I will most likely use the cPanel function. I've heard from many other people as well that cPanel is very easy to use.

JBMedia, May 21, 2009 IP
  12. alfa_375

alfa_375 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are 100% right JB, cpanel is life saver. With in three click you can install your wordpress blog on your side.Lol. Of course any problem you can come here and take help

Best of luck dude

alfa_375, May 21, 2009 IP
  13. dpwebmasterseo

dpwebmasterseo Banned

Best Answers:
    yes, use fantastico - you will require just 2 mouse clicks to install your blog :D

dpwebmasterseo, May 21, 2009 IP