1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Title and Description testing

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by HomeComputerGames, May 18, 2009.

I was wondering,
    if you do some testing by changing your title and description and lose rank where you had a page 1 for a phrase, will you get the rank back on Google by putting the original title and description back? Or is there a chance of not getting it back?

Thanks

HomeComputerGames, May 18, 2009 IP
  2. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As to the original question, you do sometimes temporarily lose rankings after making major onpage changes. You may want to wait a bit to see if you rankings come back. If they don't come back in a week or two, then I would switch it back to the original title and description. Google might not like all the changes, but your rankings should come back eventually.

vansterdam, May 18, 2009 IP
    HomeComputerGames likes this.
  3. HomeComputerGames

HomeComputerGames Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks vansterdam,
    I have a couple of decent placements on page 1 but have several Great placements on page 2 that haven't moved.
    But I have been hesitant to try some tweaking in fear of losing my current status.
    Nothing ventured nothing gained I guess.

4. pokey

pokey Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is a very interesting question. From my experience, once you change something in Google's eyes, they will re-rank you for whatever new you've done, so even if you changed it back to the old title and description, I don't think Google will just slot you straight back in due to other people ranking.

However if Google had to do a rollback or for some unknown reason, Google puts your old title and description back, then you'll be ranking where you did before you modified them.

pokey, May 18, 2009 IP
  5. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok I assumed you had already done the change and lost rankings. Well if you are on page 2 you definitely should try tweaking things to see if they can help. You should also try building more backlinks targeting that keywords...things like article submissions, blog commenting, etc.

vansterdam, May 18, 2009 IP
  6. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it will always come back, especially if you received a human visit from google.

jg123, May 18, 2009 IP
  7. HomeComputerGames

HomeComputerGames Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, we're going to find out. The damage is done.
    The page 1 placements weren't producing that well anyway. The second page entries are far more searched.

8. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have tried it successfully a couple of times (changing back) but twice my website failed to rank back without considerable effort.

jitendraag, May 18, 2009 IP
  9. ericajoieake

ericajoieake Guest

Best Answers:
    Maybe yes, but google should index first your newly updated title and description to take effect.

ericajoieake, May 18, 2009 IP
  10. Tara33

Tara33 Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience, I have regained my old rankings for changes that have hurt my Google placement...once I put the original title and description back.

Tara33, May 19, 2009 IP
  11. HomeComputerGames

HomeComputerGames Peon

Best Answers:
    You have to love the "hurry up and wait of SEO". It's been ten minutes since I last checked. Should I check again? :)

If anything it teaches one patience.

HomeComputerGames, May 19, 2009 IP
  12. HomeComputerGames

HomeComputerGames Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, Google has already updated much of my changes. For the phrases I was worried about, I moved up 1 notch in the ladder :)
    Some gain on the targets I was testing also.
    I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if they move anymore.

HomeComputerGames, May 20, 2009 IP
  13. dsfreid

dsfreid Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Everyone. Great timing. I just fell to the second page at #11 for the keyword search SEO SEATTLE. I immediately tweaked the description and title tags and am hoping this gets me back there to page one pronto.
    There are 1.4 million pages where the keyword group appears. I will let you know...

dsfreid, May 20, 2009 IP
  14. Michaelr

Michaelr Peon

Best Answers:
    I've done lots of testing and found that my site will return to the previous rank with title changes. Descriptions have made no difference at all. The only reason you wouldn't return is that someone else in the rankings has changed something in a postive way and jumped a few spots. If you are in the top 5 spots you'll go back to where you were but the further down the list you are the more change on other sites there will be!

To get you optimum try a three word title and see where you get!

Michaelr, May 20, 2009 IP
  15. WACMan

WACMan Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't concern yourself with the description - Concentrate on good titles - that is the most important.

WACMan, May 20, 2009 IP
  16. designers-handbag

designers-handbag Peon

Best Answers:
    in my point of view they will rank you back from what used to be your rankings.

designers-handbag, May 20, 2009 IP
  17. HomeComputerGames

HomeComputerGames Peon

Best Answers:
    I got up and checked today, Google still remains as yesterday, Yahoo had some advancements, but, I noticed I was getting traffic from MSN, someone I seldom get traffic from.
    It seems my tests put me on the front page of MSN for several of my phrases.

So all good so far.
    I just launched my affiliate program and next is my redesign that should be a much more SEO friendly design.
    My CS person will be happy to see some sales - she is looking bored and hates cleaning the stock room. :)

HomeComputerGames, May 21, 2009 IP
  18. HomeComputerGames

HomeComputerGames Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, almost 4 days into the test and one of the phrases from page 2 is now placement #6 :)

Also a couple of main phrases I was off the board for are now in sight.
    And the best part, 2 new sales from my newly acquired #6 :D

The old placements I was worried about losing are the same or gained on Google. I did have a loss of 1 placement for 1 of the phrases on Yahoo...but that is ok. I'll take the Google gain any day.

So I am hoping with some backlinks to these I can gain within #3......#1 is held by a very big dog on every phrase and taking them just isn't going to happen........yet

HomeComputerGames, May 21, 2009 IP
  19. udayns

udayns Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi jitendraag

I agree with you.

udayns, May 22, 2009 IP
  20. sanpatil

sanpatil Peon

Best Answers:
    What is this? Just stop spamming...

sanpatil, May 22, 2009 IP