1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help, I got a virus that changes my homepage to www.syssecuritysite.net

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mad4, Jul 21, 2006.

Somehow my laptop got a virus that changed the homepage of Internet Explorer to syssecuritysite.net.

Having run 5 different anti spyware programs, AVG and McAfee anti virus and anti spyware, all the scans are now coming back clean but the homepage is still syssecuritysite.net

Any ideas?:mad:

mad4, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  2. Mayers

Mayers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Did you check for adware and spyware?

Mayers, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  3. KeithLDick

KeithLDick Peon

Best Answers:
    You more than likely have been *Highjacked*...Follow this link G4TV Tech Support... All are FREE...

Look down the list for Web based Virus and Trojan Scanners... Run the first 3 Online scans...i.e. ( Panda Active Scan , Trend Micro House Call Virus Scanner & BitDefender Free On-line Virus Scan)...

I'd also download Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware SE, Ewido Security Suite and maybe A-Squared... Install them then look for updates and run them...

You can find these on the same site under Adware, Spyware, Trojan, and Hijacker Scanners...

After all those go here... Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help & HijackThis Instructions ~ DO NOT POST A HJT LOG W/OUT READING ! *Updated

KeithLDick, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  4. mann3r

mann3r Peon

Best Answers:
    download hijackthis and scan you PC, this will scan your registry and what have been changed by that virus. remove what those suspected program. or just post the log here i might able to help

mann3r, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  5. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    I ran 5 different spyware and adware detectors.

Thanks guys, I will try it out. :)

mad4, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  6. sandossu

sandossu Guest

Best Answers:
    i think you are infected with smithfraud. search the google for smithfraudfix and run it

sandossu, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  7. p0op3y

p0op3y Peon

Best Answers:
    how did you get this fixed? i have the same problem

p0op3y, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    You probably saw this unoriginal reply coming:

Install FF! :)

Seems like you tried the obvious ones, I think Microsoft have an online spychecker deal, try that. Otherwise, sounds like it's time for a fresh re-install of your favourite OS.

T0PS3O, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  9. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    I do use Firefox. :) The problem is that although all the scans are coming back clear I think that there is still a virus, otherwise the homepage wouldn't still be hacked, right?????

I'm not great on this stuff.

In answer to the other question - its not fixed yet.

mad4, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  10. killaklown

killaklown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    killaklown, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  11. PaulJames

PaulJames Peon

Best Answers:
    i had surf sidekick man it was nasty had to reinstall windows.

have u tried microsoft anti spyware? thats quite good at browser hijacks.

PaulJames, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  12. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    I found my best results in keeping my system clean, you can search here I get infected often, is with using Panda AV/AS.

Goto PCPitStop.com and they have a free online version.

They will scan, and if you find something suspicious, it might be something totally new. Submit it to VirusTotal.com, they seem to check suspicious files, and redirect them to all AV manufactures to help get AV programs up to speed faster.

A real help till you get an AV/AS program that can help, lock down your system. Some Trojans will go out to the net, update their programs faster than AV programs, so they remain hidden. Check out, ZoneAlarm, it's free.

hth,

tom

TommyD, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  13. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I paid $35 for the software to remove it and it didn't work. Now they are refusing to give a refund saying because the software was downloaded they don't give refunds. Wankers.:mad:

SpyHunter, from Enigma Software is the one that I can't get a refund on.

mad4, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  14. NoobieDoobieDo

NoobieDoobieDo Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Sorry you/yall had this experience. As others have mentioned more than likely your browser/system has been hijacked to a degree. Without knowing what program is doing this to you it's impossible to say to what degree you've been hijacked. There are a variety of anti-hijacking / hijacking repair tools available, some of which can probably be found at the links provided to you by the other members (or google).

In my own personal experience the worst ones are those that modify your hosts file so you can't visit anti-virus / anti-hijacking sites. However a quick trip to your hosts file can clear this up if you know what you are doing. It's *very* important that you do not modify your hosts file if a) you do not know / understand what it is / does and b ) you do not know what you are doing.

Good luck.

NoobieDoobieDo, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  15. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    huh? In the US there is an 'implied warranty', meaning that if you buy a product regardless of the presence of a warranty, if it does not work you get a refund. Meaning, if you walk into a store and buy a clock (no refunds, all sales final, blah, blah) and you get the clock home, it does not work, you take it back. Your intentions was not to buy a 'broken clock', you obviously wanted a 'working clock', unless they advertised it as 'broken'. See what I mean? So rather than have to fight each battle in court, many credit card companies follow this policy, but you have to first exhaust your efforts to getting a refund.

and...

You exhausted all the free help, paid for a one time help program?

:confused:

tom <== Not a Lawyer, or AV expert.

TommyD, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  16. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    The 5 free bits of software and McAfee didn't shift it so I paid $35 for some spyware removal software that promised to fix it. It didn't work so I want a refund.

mad4, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  17. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    Remember something, it might not be a virus/trojan, you might have had a onetime script that ran, and changed your homepage.

Reset it back to normal, and see if it stays.

Also, have you gone to PCPitStop.com yet?

tom

TommyD, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  18. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    try hijackthis..not easy to use (you will need to do lotz of google to look into the result), but can hunt down anything..

ahkip, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  19. mann3r

mann3r Peon

Best Answers:
    as what i recommended can you post the hijackthis log? maybe I can check if something is fishy on your registry

mann3r, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  20. sgthayes

sgthayes Peon

Best Answers:
    I just fixed this malware on a friends pc. As was previously stated in this thread the malware is named "smithfraud". It is basically a number of fake anti-spyware software that hold your pc hostage until you pay. You can also get it by downloading vcodec.

You can fix it by downloading SmitfraudFix.zip and following the instructions in the text file. (don't forget to boot in safe-mode when you run it)

Hope this helps

sgthayes, Jul 24, 2006 IP