1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best way to put video clips on the web

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by missdecision, Jul 20, 2006.

Can anyone tell me what is best practice for downloadable video clips in terms of:

screen size
    file size
    duration of clip
    frames/sec
    anything else I've missed

for (i)slow/modem connection (ii) fast/broadband connection?

The videos I have to put online vary from about 2 minutes to 10 minutes in length, but will probably be cut to 2 minute long clips. Is there a general "standard" in terms of screen size, filesize etc?? From a quick look on the Web, it seems that everybody approaches this differently! I am creating the clips so that they are playable in QuickTime, and was compressing them from mpeg to mov. I understand mpegs play in QuickTime, so is there no need to convert to .mov? If so, would I be able to make mpeg files that are as small as .mov files? I am new to this so any help is appreciated.

missdecision, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  2. volvo

volvo Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm very interested in this also. Anyone have any suggestions?

volvo, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  3. JacobGibbs

JacobGibbs Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't really answer your questions, but I suggest you research the file type .flv

FLV is flash based videos, meant for online streaming.
    This is what websites like YouTube etc use.
    The quality is good and the filesizes are small.

I hope this helps.

JacobGibbs, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  4. amedno1

amedno1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    the best i would think is .avi files they are basically like mp3 but videos. 2 minutes to 3 would be the optimum if your talking about normal dialup

amedno1, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  5. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    wmv and flash are the top two choices these days... you can download the free windows media encoder from microsoft, not sure if there is a free encoder for flash that's any good?

encode your wmv's at the minimum frame size of 320x240, with the video at ~300-400kbps, stereo audio minimum of probably 32kbps@32 khz.

mpeg's will play in the windows media player, but the mpeg codec is a real pig, compared to the modern codecs of today... so do not put mpeg on the web.

since more than half the people in america access the web at cable/dsl speeds these days, you may not want to hassle with dial-up video clips.

danimal, Jul 22, 2006 IP