1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get listed in sponsored ads on the LEFT side?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by DigitalChris, May 11, 2009.

I really want to know how do people get listed in the sponsored results on the LEFT side? Not the right vertical column. I'm talking about the sponsored ads(usually 2 or 3) displayed right above the organic results highlighted in yellow.

If you want to take a look at this site: w.i.s.d.e.k(dot)c-o-m they offer a this service I'm talking about, but they're not the only ones, I've been contacted about an offer like this in the past by various other companies. Just chose this one as an example because they have a demo of what I'm talking about.

Apparently you pay a flat fee per month and you get listed consistently at the very top of these results for x amount of impressions. They tested it out with our site and called an hour later to show it could be done.

I've done some research and I believe the way this works is if you have an adwords account with a very good quality score and click through rate? That's the only way to get listed there? Am I right?

I mean, what's the catch, these people know we run PPC ads so why can't we just do it ourselves? Would it be more expensive?

DigitalChris, May 11, 2009 IP
  2. AHA7

AHA7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Get higher quality score to get higher rank - not easy!
    Pay more, get higher - very simple!

AHA7, May 11, 2009 IP
  3. hbl

hbl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Position is mainly chosen through Quality Score, and the yellow bar will soon only show those with a certain Quality Score (hopefully only 8 and above). "Our system does not rank ads solely on cost, and there is no way to reserve top placement on a search result page." - http://adwords.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6546

This being said, it is not impossible to get your ad in the top position, just implausible, especially if the company promises that result for a large amount of keywords. I would research any company and offer before making a commitment.

hbl, May 11, 2009 IP
  4. suwari

suwari Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree

This being said, it is not impossible to get your ad in the top position, just implausible, especially if the company promises that result for a large amount of keywords. I would research any company and offer before making a commitment.

suwari, May 11, 2009 IP
  5. DigitalChris

DigitalChris Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips, I just realized how to check quality score in google adwords.

Now my question is, I assume the quality score is based per keyword in each ad group? Or is there some overall quality score on your account that determines this?

I mean the thing is.. this company got our ad at the very top in less than an hour just like they said they would. This was just to show us that they could do it, we did not pay them. How in the world did they do that? True, it was for a competitive word with our state next to it, but did they just put a high bid on it to get it up there fast? How did they do it so fast for a brand new ad group? Or is it because they somehow have a good quality score in their overall account?

DigitalChris, May 12, 2009 IP
  6. kishorepb

kishorepb Guest

Best Answers:
    kishorepb, May 12, 2009 IP
  7. totemelf

totemelf Peon

Best Answers:
    lol at the begining my QS is very high, about 8. but now it fall to 6. so i cancel my account.

totemelf, May 13, 2009 IP
  8. DigitalChris

DigitalChris Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would you do that? I just read Google's FAQ on Quality Score and all it says that it is calculated each time your keyword matches a search query.

From this I gather that your QS can fluctuate pretty quickly per keyword and it's not something you have to "build" over long periods of time.

The FAQ still does not answer my question if there is an overall Quality Score for your Google account. By you saying that you canceled yours, it makes it seem like there is one..

DigitalChris, May 13, 2009 IP
  9. globalcashsite

globalcashsite Peon

Best Answers:
    I am also using AdWords and advertised my sites. Simply pay more and get more results. BTW, for my recent site ShahbazQadri I started a campaign and bid at 5 cents. So far I got 25 visitors from different countries for 1$ that is really good. 3 of these are from Google search engine, 6 are from search partners and 16 are from content sites.

Don't stick to the left side bar ads, content site network also works at lot. For left side bar you have to pay more to get higher place. But for content site network this is not the case. :)

If you want complete Google AdWords guide and secrets then let me know I can give you AdWord ebook. PM me. :)

GCS

globalcashsite, May 14, 2009 IP
  10. JHardy_WV

JHardy_WV Peon

Best Answers:
    QS is affected by (in order of importance):

1) CTR
    2) Account history - including campaign history and ad group history
    3) Ad relevancy
    4) landing page relevancy

Although 3 and 4 are a bit interchangable and 2 is only a bit higher in importance than 3 / 4.

To answer your first question - you need a high QS to get those top positions on the left hand side in the yellow sponsored links section - you can't just et there with higher bids. Anyone offering to do this as a guarantee is lying - no one can guarantee anything with google - what they're saying is that with a combination of work on your QS and possibly higher bids they're confident they can get you those positions (which I could say to you myself) - either that or they'll take your money, do crap work, and then shrug and walk away when they don't achieve...

JHardy_WV, May 15, 2009 IP
  11. JHardy_WV

JHardy_WV Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, and for the record - if that's the only reason why this guy cancelled his account then he's either;

a) lazy
    b) an idiot
    c) a combination of a and b

JHardy_WV, May 15, 2009 IP