1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I shine with Google & Fail with Yahoo! Any Light on the subject?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by melbel, May 11, 2009.

I have an extensive portfolio of sites that are doing very well with Google search. I've done very well for myself SEOing for Google search, apparently! Anyway, with Yahoo, I don't even place in the search for most of the keywords that I am top in Google for.

The only site I do better on Yahoo with than Google is one I bought a long time ago and did nothing with because my attention was turned elsewhere. I have been trying to study the difference with these sites and the only difference is that the one that does well in Yahoo does terribly in Google.

Is there a way to SEO for both Google AND Yahoo? I know almost nothing when it comes to SEOing for Yahoo.

melbel, May 11, 2009 IP
  2. primeryder

primeryder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One difference between the 2 seems to be that yahoo may plcae extra emphasis on certain authority or trust sites which may explain the difference.

primeryder, May 11, 2009 IP
  3. Rich Kid

Rich Kid Peon

Best Answers:
    Google and yahoo index differently so you have to use different kinds of seo tactics for each. Personally I wouldn't bother with yahoo and just stick with google there is alot more traffic in google.

Rich Kid, May 11, 2009 IP
  4. coolamazer

coolamazer Peon

Best Answers:
    As Rich kid said, what is the point in yahoo with so little traffic? Try to devote that time to better your google traffic

coolamazer, May 11, 2009 IP
  5. creztor

creztor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This depends entirely on where you live. I have one site that gets 90% of its traffic from Yahoo. Google doesn't own the world, just most of it ;) Knowing how to rank better on Yahoo can be extremely useful for people with sites in countries that prefer yahoo over google.

creztor, May 11, 2009 IP
    bogart likes this.
  6. melbel

melbel Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Of course ranking in Google is very important, but if I ranked well in Yahoo as well, I could bring in a larger chunk of traffic.

melbel, May 11, 2009 IP
    mdamin76 likes this.
  7. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have a similiar issue with Yahoo. The site was ranking in Yahoo in 2004 and dropped out of the rankings due to a canonical issue sometime in 2005. The site started ranking for some keywords in 2006 but dropped out of the rankings. The funny thing is that sometime around June 2007 the site started ranking 1st page for all the targeted keywords. This only lasted a few hours and the site lost all the rankings. I believe that yahoo has some kind of spam/seo filter.

bogart, May 11, 2009 IP
    mdamin76 and melbel like this.
  8. Michaelr

Michaelr Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't worry about it as google has 75% of the traffic!

Michaelr, May 11, 2009 IP
  9. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is a bad thing to do. Any business that says it is ok to lose 25% of potential customers deserves any ridicule that comes their way for this viewpoint. The same applies to webmasters.

I have sites where I get great Yahoo traffic and the clickthrough/purchase rates are 3 times compared to Google traffic. Remember, traffic is only one component; having your visitors actually interact/purchase etc from your site is what you should really be aiming for.

I have my own SEO methods which are similar to those mentioned in How to Optimize for Yahoo! and do well on both Google and Yahoo.

The OP should be commended for not being complacent and actively seeking to extend his sites reach to more traffic besides Google.

Claudek, May 11, 2009 IP
    bogart and melbel like this.
  10. cpakings

cpakings Banned

Best Answers:
    yahoo sucks for traffic yahoo all depends on onpage seo thats it

cpakings, May 11, 2009 IP
  11. stevejeff

stevejeff Peon

Best Answers:
    For yahoo concentrate on Title Tag,Meta Description Tag,Meta Keyword Tag,Keywords in URL,Headings,Alt text for images,Inline Links,Site Structure

stevejeff, May 12, 2009 IP
  12. mdamin76

mdamin76 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google and Yahoo practising different algo. Google would emphasize more on quality backlinks while Yahoo recognize every single backlinks.

mdamin76, May 12, 2009 IP
    melbel and bogart like this.
  13. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    All the tips are great. But there are some sites Yahoo doesn't want to rank.

The search submit looks interesting. Do you believe that it's worth the $49?

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/srchsb/ssb.php

bogart, May 12, 2009 IP
  14. melbel

melbel Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, thank you for the huge compliment. You just made my day!

melbel, May 12, 2009 IP
  15. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's okay for some to be happy with the status quo. But smart marketers realize the demographics between search engine users are very different. And if you realize this you can take advantage of this. Because the Marketing Game is about conversion.

internetmarketingiq, May 12, 2009 IP
  16. Resell Monster

Resell Monster Guest

Best Answers:
    You also have to consider the fact of commercial intent between the engines for any given vertical. Yahoo has proven even with less traffic they can pull more sells in various niches.

Yes the big G is a monster with %70 gross volume but this does not mean every keyword it is an average of searches done. So I would recommend you target Google ,Yahoo and MSN, because every keyword is different.

what I am saying is just an echo of some of the above comments I agree with.

here are some of the things yahoo and MSN like over Google

keyword rich domains

big sites = same site links (yahoo give them as much weight as inbound)

their own sites(Yahoo and MSN) and directories for links

clean code(sounds silly but I can get slop to rank on Google easier than Yahoo)

Resell Monster, May 12, 2009 IP
    melbel likes this.
  17. Traffic-Bug

Traffic-Bug Active Member

Best Answers:
    basically yahoo looks for in-page content, google relies on off-page content to decide your rankings,.

Traffic-Bug, May 12, 2009 IP
    melbel likes this.
  18. fka200

fka200 Member

Best Answers:
    I'm assuming most people here do not get xx,xxx+ traffic from Yahoo/month. Not as great as Google, of course, but still... that extra *FREE* traffic definitely puts a nice chunk of change in my pocket.

I noticed having the keyword in the domain works well with Yahoo (and Google, duh :p).

fka200, May 12, 2009 IP
    melbel likes this.
  19. praetserge

praetserge Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm confused.
    You, people, say you don't care to lose 25% of the traffci from yahoo as it's rubbish... hmmmm....
    I've never seen a business which didn't care for 25% of its revenue.
    Secondly, people say yahoo is rubbish and they don't care about it... as it's only on-page SEO.
    My question is... why don't you do just on-page seo (without wasting so much time on link building) and get lots of traffic from yahoo if that's sooooooooooooooooo easy?????
    Like most of the people I have difficulty ranking on yahoo even though gooole's pushing me up.
    I WISH I KNEW YOUR SECRETS ABOUT GETTING TOP ON YAHOO.

praetserge, May 13, 2009 IP
  20. gbit

gbit Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi friend,
    I understand your problem, why don't you try seo for Google first, then try on Yahoo.
    Make sure when rank high in Yahoo you are being pulled down on google......

gbit, May 13, 2009 IP