1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Strategies for profit

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by larryweiss, May 9, 2009.

captainwatercolor dot com is about a year old. It is a web site offering free video watercolor lessons. There has been good content on the site since about January and traffic has been building since then. Now it’s over 100 visits a day. 40% are repeat visitors. Visitors load about 125 flash videos a day, (about half hour long each). I wish I could know how many visitors see the lessons to the end, but bandwidth indicates that most are fully loaded on visitor’s computers.

The plan was to get some good content and then to find a way make money from the site. I tried:
    • Asking for donations, with very limited success.
    • Adsense; and make about a dollar a day.
    • Affiliate marketing for three weeks; and have done zip.
    • Four days ago I put up a 1-1/4 hour lesson, and asked for $8 for it, and there are no takers at all.
    • Watercolor supply companies have blown me off completely as regards advertising.

I am thinking about making a specialty product and selling it, or even stocking a full line of watercolor supplies and selling them, but I am 71 years old, and do not want to start a major business effort at this time of life.

Another Idea is to “charge” a “donation” for almost every lesson, but give a choice between “Donate Now” and “Maybe Later” buttons. Or offering everything free on Tuesdays, and not free the rest of the week.

I saw a guitar lesson site that offered beginner lessons free, then charged a membership fee for the rest, but don’t know if that sort of thing works any better.

I am running out of ideas. Can anyone make some suggestions?

larryweiss, May 9, 2009 IP
  2. Maxiorel

Maxiorel Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the donations are not a good idea. The people will ignore it. Especially if the will have a choice.

I think you should try to change the layout of your website so the Google ads will be more visible. 100 visits a day is very low traffic to do any profit :-( You should do some promotion. Where do your visitors come from? Search engines, direct traffic?

The RSS and Twitter posting could help to attract more visitors.

Maxiorel, May 9, 2009 IP
  3. larryweiss

larryweiss Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I do not understand how to use RSS. Can anyone point me to a tutorial that explains it from the beginning.

Maxiorel, I took a Danube cruise last year. We stopped in the Czech Republic, and fell in love with the place. Actually, we loved most of Central Europe, especially our Hungarian guide who had every guy in the group eating out of her hand. We were the green group, and she called us "my vundervul greenies" and she owned us.

larryweiss, May 9, 2009 IP