1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

"I'll Pray For You"

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by stOx, May 8, 2009.

Dave over at the AA was recently asked how he feels when the religious say they will pray for him, and he believes it's a form of religious intolerance.
    I don't know if i would go as far as dave on this one, i feel having a "believer" tell me they will pray for me is rude, arrogant and passive aggressive. but not intolerance. because let's face it, When it comes down to it they don't believe in the power of prayer any more than i do, they just pretend to believe it. They would be as surprised as i would be if it actually worked.

I mean, why would someone who believes in prayer get insurance, health cover, immunisation. These aren't the actions of someone who believers there is a magic man in the sky granting wishes. These are the actions of someone who believes shit happens and no amount of muttering to yourself is going to change it.

This is evident by the fact that hospitals are full of sick religious people and churches have none. Nobody, regardless how religious, says "i just found a tumor on my face.... quick! get the bible!". No. they all go running to science.

On a side note, can anyone come up with a good retort to "i'll pray for you"? Iv'e always liked "well it looks like i'll have to do the thinking for both of us then"

stOx, May 8, 2009 IP
  2. Barti1987

Barti1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll pray for you.

Peace,

Barti1987, May 8, 2009 IP
  3. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    it seems that you do not have to be religious to be intolerant.

pizzaman, May 8, 2009 IP
    pingpong123 likes this.
  4. iggysick

iggysick Guest

Best Answers:
    Quoted for truth.

iggysick, May 8, 2009 IP
  5. jumpboy11jaop

jumpboy11jaop Peon

Best Answers:
    As a response to "I'll pray for you"- how about ... hmmm

"That's okay, I would actually like to ----------"

jumpboy11jaop, May 8, 2009 IP
  6. ChaosTrivia

ChaosTrivia Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hehe.
    This reminds me of an interview with an "light" religious IDF officer I saw on the news cpl of years ago which I will never forget. The interview was about an attempt to arrest terrorists by an IDF elite unit under his command in a highly populated area, during which a soldier was killed (XX), another was slightly-injured (YY).

To the TV cameras he said afterwards something like (inaccurate quote in loose translation):
    "We start the operation on XX:XX... at the beginning everything went according to plan. Suddenly, unexpected intense fire was opened on us from one of the neighbouring blocks. unfortunately, XX was killed in immediately. With the help of god, YY sustained only slight injuries and will be back in good condition soon enough. All of the terrorists involved were eliminated."

:)

ChaosTrivia, May 8, 2009 IP
  7. Komicwords

Komicwords Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was thinking that this is thread "paid to pray"if it does right I like to try one

Komicwords, May 8, 2009 IP
  8. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Post of the year and maybe this post might allow the athiests to look inward and put the shoe on the other foot . Talk about being judgmental.

pingpong123, May 9, 2009 IP
  9. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    seeing all criticism as an attack must be terrible, Not only because it exposes the weakness of your position, but also the fact that not a single religious person has responded to a single thing i said and just, as usual, acted like a frail little victim. If you want to have a cry about the bad atheists picking on you could you do it somewhere else.

ChaosTrivia, I remember when the pope got shot he thanked "our lady of Fatima" for guiding the bullet to miss his vital organs. Makes me wonder why she didn't guide it to miss him all together.

Nothing says faith like 3 inches of bullet proof glass.

stOx, May 9, 2009 IP
  10. Exnie

Exnie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whenever I hear that, I reply:

And I'll think for you.

Exnie, May 9, 2009 IP
  11. iggysick

iggysick Guest

Best Answers:
    lol you can't be serious! :D
    Even it's not worth answering I'll give it a shot. When religious person says to you "I'll pray for you" he usually means "I wish you all the best" and your view of that is "i feel having a "believer" tell me they will pray for me is rude, arrogant and passive aggressive"
    You really have to be what really you are to see someone whishing you well as rude and arrogant!

iggysick, May 9, 2009 IP
  12. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They could wish me well by, well, saying exactly that. But like i have demonstrated, they disbelieve in the power of prayer as much as i do because, like me, they get insurance, health cover and go to the doctors when they are sick. So to say they are going to pray for me is as meaningless to them as it is to me.

The bottom line is they say it because they assume it will offend us. Which by definition makes it rude, arrogant and passive aggressive.

stOx, May 9, 2009 IP
  13. iggysick

iggysick Guest

Best Answers:
    "They" is me so please don't tell me what I think when I say something. Thank you.

iggysick, May 9, 2009 IP
  14. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, i think i will. Feel free to deny it, but i don't think anyone will take your word for it... thank you.

stOx, May 9, 2009 IP
  15. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why do people who play the lottery keep their day jobs? Hmmm... is it becaue they must not really believe they can win? That's why they keep buying tickets week after week? stOx, you should open an Atheist church for the mentally challenged.

Lol. From the looks of things, you are having trouble thinking for one... as they say on the airplanes, first attach your own oxygen mask, then assist others....

Sage.

Obamanation, May 9, 2009 IP
  16. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's because it's statistically very unlikely. The religious don't believe their god is statistically very unlikely, well they wont admit that it is.

Think your analogies through.

stOx, May 10, 2009 IP
  17. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    You now speak for the religious? How presumptuous. Perhaps it would be safer for you just to speak for your strange little religion.Perhaps the religious believe that their prayers being answered in the way the want is statistically unlikely, so they still do it. Either way your argument falls flat on its face. stOx, you'll have to excuse my frustration with you, but I really don't like the highly religious much, and your flawed logic is making them look better. PLEASE STOP!!! :p. Better to be thought a fool than to post and remove all reasonable doubt.

Obamanation, May 10, 2009 IP
  18. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    @onation
    what do you mean by sage?

pizzaman, May 10, 2009 IP
  19. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    sage
    1   /seɪdʒ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [seyj] Show IPA noun, adjective, sag⋅er, sag⋅est.
    –adjective
    3. wise, judicious, or prudent: sage advice.

Obamanation, May 10, 2009 IP
  20. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Have you seriously resorted to claiming the religious may believe their god is statistically very unlikely?

stOx, May 10, 2009 IP