1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

can i use this contents ?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Mido, Jul 19, 2006.

i am going to launch a site about cars so i found that every type of cars website has good details can i use this details and referring to the source in every article ? this includes images links also ? i will not steal contents i hate that i want to write what they said about theird product and referring to the source i hope this point is clear. what you think guys ?

Mido, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  2. fablex

fablex Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I think you can just use their info and rewrite it in your own words. Get info from different websites, and combine it with each other, then write the article in your own words and maybe mention the sites as a source beneath the article.

fablex, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  3. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    you can use idea but not contents :)

Mong, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  4. projectw3

projectw3 Banned

Best Answers:
    If you're going to write them yourself, adding your own opinions about the subject matter will avoid legal implications.

projectw3, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  5. adwordaffiliate

adwordaffiliate Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd personally not write about every idea they have on their site either, as someone mentioned before me try & take info from lots of different sites so it doesn't look like you're outright copying them :)

adwordaffiliate, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  6. Mido

Mido Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well thank you guys this is realy helpful for me :) sorry for posting in the wrong section

Mido, Jul 19, 2006 IP
    Mong likes this.
  7. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are going to use some of their content and post your comments, you need to make sure that:

1. You only use what's absolutely necessary.
    2. Your comments are directly related to the text.

If not, your use of the content is not fair use, it's infringement. Here's an example:

"creative idea about Dodge Durangos and how-to blah blah"

Your comment: I have a Dodge Durango and I like it a lot. If you like them too, post in my forum.

The above example is not, according to case law in my opinion, fair use. You basically ripped off the creative idea for not reason except to ad content to your website, which becomes heightened if you have an commercial elements (adsense, paid links, affiliate links and so forth).

Of course the best way to know for sure is to seek out an intellectual property lawyer.

marketjunction, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  8. Essential-Design

Essential-Design Peon

Best Answers:
    If the contents is all facts than yes your allowed to use it, but if it has opinions in than your not allowed and best of just rewritting it

Essential-Design, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  9. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    It would be pretty hard for it to be all facts. For example:

"On a fateful December day the United States was deliberately attacked. More than 60 years later, December 7, 1941 still seems like yesterday for surviving WWII veterans."

If you copied that word for word, you are violating copyright. While the subject is a fact, the text is creative. Also, if you rephrase it, you are creating a derivative work, which violates exclusivity.

Let's look at another example:

Car: X
    MPG: 10

Car: Y
    MPG: 15

Car: Z

MPG: 13

You could use the above info as it is a fact, but you could not simply copy it, because the way it's presented is a matter of copyright (compilation).

marketjunction, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  10. Mido

Mido Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lets make examples about cars or forex most of them are fact like: ford Escape 2007 has a great engine with blah blah blah or another fact like : what is forex ?it is blah blah so can i use these contents and adding or modifying them or just copy and paste facts ?

Mido, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  11. Mido

Mido Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i can get facts then typing them with my own style ?

also i want to ask about getting facts from wikipedia.org is this eligable ?

Mido, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  12. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    Right. A fact is not under copyright.

For example, if I have say the 2006 Dodge Durango gets 20 MPH on the highway, that is not under copyright. However, be careful what you copy. Don't copy the non-facts from the site.

Example:

I really love the Dodge Durango. It's a go anywhere SUV with punch. It gets 20 MPH on the highway.

The fact is that the Durango gets 20 MPG on the highway. The other stuff is creative text.

Wikipedia is a good place to find facts. Beware as some info is not correct. Still, it can be a nice source to start. Just take facts and use your own words. Don't put facts in the exact format as you find elsewhere.

marketjunction, Jul 24, 2006 IP