1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo is losing the battle to Google

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by qwestcommunications, Jul 19, 2006.

Yahoo's figures did not impress. Their revenues increased far less than expected, partly because their contextual advertising is, well, a lot less contextual than Google. While Google goes from sterngth to strength in increasing its revenue due to far better relevance of the ads matching the content therefore a lot higher CTR, Yahoo is also faltering in the search engines. Google is widening te gap on that front as well. I really don't think Semel, the chief executive of Yahoo, has done a good job at all. The only solution is perhaps to merge (taken over Microsoft) and then we could see a lot fierce competition with Google.

qwestcommunications, Jul 19, 2006 IP
    khasmoth likes this.
  2. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Any reference?
    btw yahoo has more inventory than google ads. :)

Mong, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  3. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo announced their quarterly results yesterday. The stats do not make for a good reading.

Mong likes this.
  4. qwestcommunications

Best Answers:
    I am sure the force behind Microsoft's bid to snap up Yahoo will be reignited. Yahoo shareholders might not have much option now.

5. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't agree.. I use both adwords and Yahoo search marketing. From an advertiser perspective, yahoo produces more conversions and some of the ppc bids on adwords are too high.

eXe, Jul 19, 2006 IP
    khasmoth likes this.
  6. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. Yahoo converts better and the cost is lower. Yahoo just got into the "adsense" business. It'll take longer than a few months for it to sort itself out.

lorien1973, Jul 19, 2006 IP
    khasmoth likes this.
  7. ash1

ash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i agree yahoo is losing the battle with google at the moment, but i think yahoo is far from going down, the trend will change in the long run. Yahoo is a marketing powershouse for big sponsors that google does not have yet. yahoo is also pretty big in the asian country's.

If one is losing a big battle, it would be msn

ash1, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  8. khasmoth

khasmoth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My bet is on Yahoo.;)

khasmoth, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  9. lorien1973

Best Answers:
  10. qwestcommunications

Best Answers:
    Makes them more attractive to Microsoft. Its on a downward trend for the last couple of months. It is easily underperforming the general market, so we could well see Microsoft coming in with a bid soon.

11. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    Let's say you buy stock in Yahoo today. MSN buys it tomorrow or in a month. How does that work out? Do you get 1:1 shares Yahoo to MSN or do you get an equal dollar value?

12. qwestcommunications

Best Answers:
    I myself am thinking about buying some shares in Yahoo. Even though Yahoo is struggling a little, I think its shares are undervalued, especially if you go with the lofty price of Google. Also, the prospect of a Microsoft takeover or a merger with another company will help boost the price in the medium term. But, I think it will struggle in the near term. If it falls another 20-30%, I will deginately get in.

If Microsoft does indeed takeover Yahoo, Yahoo's shares will eventually likely become non-existent and Microsoft will instead offer shares in Microsoft equivelant to the value of your holding in Yahoo.

However, Yahoo may still operate as a sepearate entity under Microsoft because of the brand value of Yahoo.

13. ArcticPro

ArcticPro Banned

Best Answers:
    ArcticPro, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  14. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    Oh for the good ole days when yahoo went from $8 to $150 in like 2 years. :D

15. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you buy the shares of yahoo at $25 then in a month or so Microsoft offers to buy the company at $35 a share your shares are then worth $35 as for what for you would get that would all depend on what type of deal Microsoft was offering. It could be all cash or all stock, I think it would be a mixture of both.

soniqhost.com, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  16. soniqhost.com

Best Answers:
    While Yahoo is behind in updating the new ad platform lets not forget that about 8-10 years ago AOL was one of the leaders in search, just because you a leader now doesn't mean that you'll be a leader in the field tomorrow especially in the internet field.

17. qwestcommunications

Best Answers:
    I think there has been a stock split since then. I doubt if Yahoo will ever return to the market value it had when it was around $8 though.

18. soniqhost.com

Best Answers:
    It had a split in 2004, the low of $8 or $4 after split was at the end of september 2002

19. qwestcommunications

Best Answers:
    Going international with YPN should boost revenues.

qwestcommunications, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  20. TooHappy

TooHappy Guest

Best Answers:
    IMHO - Most people have no idea how Google or Yahoo makes their money, or how we, as publishers, make ours.

Yes, Yahoo announced a delay in their product, but it will come happen. Talk to your Yahoo rep and you’ll hear the enthusiasm in their voice.

I bought a ton of shares this morning at a little over 25 and now it’s up to 25.60 *Check Price*. Yahoo will take off, they understand what is at stake here and I’m confident that now is the time to jump in – I’m not an expert, but I do know adsense and YPN, and I’m betting long term.

I’m also guessing that when YPN does release their product and the word spreads, that goog will drop and yhoo will rise high. Google has been paying the publishers less and less making it appear profits are greater each quarter; this can go on as long as there is not any major competition.

When YPN gets it together, publishers will have options with YPN paying higher than Adsense. Adsense will have to adjust, and a few quarters later, it will be evident that things are changing.

There is an unbelievable amount of money to be had in this area and it’s only a matter of time before things change – that change will be Yahoo becoming a serious player. It didn’t happen this quarter, but I doubt they’ll be dropping the ball again.

Again, just my take on it; time will tell!

TooHappy, Jul 20, 2006 IP