1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question about laptop charger..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaveyBoy, May 6, 2009.

I have a Sony Vaio FW series laptop which I bought in the US last year. It has the US 2 pin power cable which is detachable from the actual charger. My question is, could I buy a 3 pin UK power cable and safely use this with the charger? It is annoying to have to use the adapter all the time.

Thanks!

DaveyBoy, May 6, 2009 IP
  2. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Check the input voltage. It should have all the input and output voltage/amperage numbers printed on it. If it's 110v, then your UK 240v will fry the charger, and possibly your laptop battery and motherboard.

I think some laptops have an auto switching transformer than can cut UK/AU 240v down to other voltages, but don't take my word for it. Why not just get a UK charger for it?

Kerosene, May 6, 2009 IP
  3. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for reply, ive been using it no problems with the 2 pin plug as the charger can take 100 - 240v so i knew it would be fine without a convertor. I just was wondering whether replacing the short plug cable from charger to laptop with a 3 pin version would be ok?

DaveyBoy, May 6, 2009 IP