1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Who wants some rep?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by aaron_nimocks, Jul 17, 2006.

Ok I need help because I am tired of trying to figure this out. Im trying to put an RSS feed into a directory script. It worked fine with Java but now I want to switch to PHP so its search engine readable.

Heres the code I am working with. The {$keywords} part displays what it wants to see. Say if I remove that part and put "display%2Bcorrectly$2Bdamnit!" it would work. But if {$keywords} = display%2Bcorrectly$2Bdamnit! it wont work even though it did when I did the exact same thing in the Java version.

Any help that gets me to my answer will be rewarded with some rep. :)

www.swaplinks.us if you want to see what I mean. Right above the RSS feed box I have {$keywords} displayed.

*it may appear to be working - Thats because I am using the javascript code until I figure out how to work the php.

{php}
    $olderror_reporting =error_reporting(0);
    include ("http://www.swaplinks.us/RSSCB2/rss.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnews%3Fhl%3Den%26ned%3Dus%26q%3D{$keywords}%26ie%3DUTF-8%26output%3Drss&newpage=&chead=&atl=&desc=&owncss=&eleminate=&auth=&dts=&width=600&max=5&maxfrom=5&maxto=10&tlen=0&rnd=1&bt=2&bs=Solid&nmb=1&ntb=1&naf=1&nst=1&nwd=0&nht=0&initime=1153184378&dlttime=0&dlen=0&bg=%23FFFFFF&bc=%23FF6600&tc=BLACK&ts=8&spc=1&ims=&lc=BLUE&lstyle=-1&rel=1&tfont=Verdana,+Arial,+Sans-serif&rf=".$HTTP_SERVER_VARS['SERVER_NAME'].$HTTP_SERVER_VARS['PHP_SELF']."&phpout=1");
    error_reporting($olderror_reporting);
    {/php}
    PHP:

aaron_nimocks, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  2. Boby

Boby Peon

Best Answers:
    What if you use this?
    $url = urldecode ("http://www.swaplinks.us/RSSCB2/rss.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnews%3Fhl%3Den%26ned%3Dus%26q%3D{$keywords}%26ie%3DUTF-8%26output%3Drss&newpage=&chead=&atl=&desc=&owncss=&eleminate=&auth=&dts=&width=600&max=5&maxfrom=5&maxto=10&tlen=0&rnd=1&bt=2&bs=Solid&nmb=1&ntb=1&naf=1&nst=1&nwd=0&nht=0&initime=1153184378&dlttime=0&dlen=0&bg=%23FFFFFF&bc=%23FF6600&tc=BLACK&ts=8&spc=1&ims=&lc=BLUE&lstyle=-1&rel=1&tfont=Verdana,+Arial,+Sans-serif&rf=".$HTTP_SERVER_VARS['SERVER_NAME'].$HTTP_SERVER_VARS['PHP_SELF']."&phpout=1");
    include "{$url}";
    PHP:
    I have not tested it, just a suggestion to get rid of the %3A%2F%2 chars.

Boby

Boby, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  3. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    Ahh it really hates that code. :)

Think the only problem is that it isnt reading what the variable {$keywords} is. This is using the esyndicat directory script in a .tpl file. Basically same thing as phpld if you ever messed with that.

4. Boby

Boby Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you sure $keywords is not empty and is accessible?

Try it out with a simple:
    echo $keywords;
    PHP:
    Do you see some output?

Boby, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  5. aaron_nimocks

Best Answers:
    It wont work like that.

Its {$keywords} not $keywords. Thats how they define the variable in the smarty library for this directory script.

6. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, Boby was heading in the right direction. Smarty wants to replace the variable $keywords with its value. In order to do so, Smarty must know the value of $keywords.

Check to make sure it is either created in the function which outputs the page or is available as a global variable in that function: global $keywords;

I would isolate that section of the script and put the statement:

echo $keywords . "br>";

to make sure the value is what you expect.

It may also be that php is trying to substitute a variable for the bit after the dollar sign. Making sure the dollar sign is escaped -- \$ -- will prevent that.

clancey, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  7. Boby

Boby Peon

Best Answers:
    {$keywords} is (or can be) a template variable for Smarty. It should be declared in your PHP file.

But when you are using PHP code, you will use $keywords.
    There is another thing...you can use {$keywords} as a delimiter for your variable. I give you 3 examples that are all correct and have the same output:
    echo "These are my {$keywords}";
    echo "These are my $keywords";
    echo "These are my ".$keywords;
    PHP:
    In this case, either if you use this in you PHP files or in a Smarty template file between the {php} ... {/php} tags, it's no more a template variable.

One question, how are you populating you keywords variable and where?

Boby

Boby, Jul 17, 2006 IP
    GTech likes this.
  8. aaron_nimocks

Best Answers:
    Ok I got ya.

{php}
    1. echo "These are my {$keywords}";
    2. echo "These are my $keywords";
    3. echo "These are my ".$keywords;
    {/php}

Neither of these give me an output. But if I just do {$keywords} all alone it does.

I populate the variable when I enter the meta keywords for the link or category when I add it.

Thans for sticking with me so far trying to figure this out. :)

aaron_nimocks, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  9. petronel

petronel Peon

Best Answers:
    you can try something like this:

{include file="http://www.swaplinks.us/RSSCB2/rss.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnews%3Fhl%3Den%26ned%3Dus%26q%3D$keywords%26ie%3DUTF-8%26output%3Drss&newpage=&chead=&atl=&desc=&owncss=&eleminate=&auth=&dts=&width=600&max=5&maxfrom=5&maxto=10&tlen=0&rnd=1&bt=2&bs=Solid&nmb=1&ntb=1&naf=1&nst=1&nwd=0&nht=0&initime=1153184378&dlttime=0&dlen=0&bg=%23FFFFFF&bc=%23FF6600&tc=BLACK&ts=8&spc=1&ims=&lc=BLUE&lstyle=-1&rel=1&tfont=Verdana,+Arial,+Sans-serif&rf="}

PHP:
    using {php} inside a smarty template is not a good ideea.

PS: at the end of that include you should look for smarty variant of SERVER_NAME and PHP_SELF

petronel, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  10. aaron_nimocks

Best Answers:
    None of this is working. Still looking. :(

11. petronel

petronel Peon

Best Answers:
    i supose that part is inside some <script tag..
    why don't you use
    src="http://www.swaplinks.us/RSSCB2/rss.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnew............{$keyword}."

Code (markup):
    can you past a bit more of code (few lines before and after)?

12. petronel

petronel Peon

Best Answers:
    i just fixed that problem without using {php} codes inside smarty

MiloJones and aaron_nimocks like this.
  13. aaron_nimocks

Best Answers:
    Yes Petronel fixed my problem. I let him FTP into my site and it was fixed within 10 minutes. Very trustworthy and quick! :)