1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR question

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by bob25, May 3, 2009.

How can a parked domain with no incoming links have PR?

I'm looking at buying a domain with a PR 3, but this looks strange. I checked with checkpagerank.net and it seems to be valid.

Thanks

bob25, May 3, 2009 IP
  2. WebmasterWanabe

WebmasterWanabe Peon

Best Answers:
    I got to tell you this whole page rank thing confuses me..I go to websites that have page rank 1 with great SERPs on Google. At one time I had a PR 4 Website with plenty back links and I was on the 25th page on Google for a couple of key words. Thats why I come hear to learn..Good Luck

WebmasterWanabe, May 3, 2009 IP
  3. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    could be fake PR or could be a domain that had a site on it before and now parked.

sultanofseo, May 3, 2009 IP
  4. AlbertMARKET

AlbertMARKET Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say not to buy sites with high PR and low in coming links because it is probably false or, once you claim it, the PR will be updated to the proper PR which is 0/

AlbertMARKET, May 3, 2009 IP
  5. bob25

bob25 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're probably right, that's why I questioned PR with no links AND no content.

checkpagerank.net shows the PR is valid, but there's no incoming links. It's listed in Google so it's not banned. But archives.org draws a blank even though the domain is several years old. :confused:

Thanks

bob25, May 3, 2009 IP
  6. nadavbentor

nadavbentor Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes it shows fake pagerank and then the site suddenly loses Cache in Google

nadavbentor, May 3, 2009 IP
  7. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The PR that is visible in the Google Toolbar is old... You are ALWAYS looking at a URL's old PR from some time in the past and never it's current PR. There is absolutely no way to determine a URL's 'real' PR.

Canonical, May 3, 2009 IP
  8. bob25

bob25 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good Grief. How am I supposed to know what I'm buying :(

Thanks for the feedback guys

bob25, May 3, 2009 IP
  9. maxdomain

maxdomain Peon

Best Answers:
    maxdomain, May 3, 2009 IP
  10. wsitehelp

wsitehelp Guest

Best Answers:
    i think this might be the case.

wsitehelp, May 3, 2009 IP
  11. mrandrei

mrandrei Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't get hooked on the site's PR. That should not be your sole basis of buying it. Look at the age of the domain and the number of backlinks instead.

mrandrei, May 3, 2009 IP
  12. Canonical

Best Answers:
    You need to be very careful when buying links for a lot of reasons:

1) You're paying money for something you could get for free if you took the time and put forth the effort to seek out good, free links. You have to be creative.
    2) Usually pricing is based on the PR of the referring site (which has little to do with how you rank for a particular keyword phrase).
    3) The sites where the links are placed are frequently NOT relevant to the target URL of the link.
    4) The price of the link is inflated drastically based on the PR of the URL where it is placed (which is almost meaningless)
    5) The price of the link is inflated drastically if you buy from a link broker to cover their "administrative fees" (i.e. to line their pockets for doing almost no work)

But if you insist on paying your way to the top by buying links, I have a few tips for you:

In general:
    1) Know ahead of time EXACTLY which keyword phrase you are targeting to rank better for (i.e. what link text are you going to request for your paid links).

2) IMO if at all possible, buy links directly from the site (NOT through a broker). You will get MUCH better pricing.

3) Look at LOTS of potential placements for each targeted keyword phrase you are purchasing for, but select only a few from the many. In otherwords, shop around. You will not know if you're getting a good deal or getting screwed if you don't shop around. As a general rule of thumb, I would look at and research a minimum of 5-10 potential links for every 1 that I buy.

4) Use Excel to help you evaluate the 'value' of each potential placement. It helps to have all of the data laid out in front of you for all of your options when trying to decide which is the better deal or which is going to give your URL the most "bang for the buck". Check and log the following for each potential link placement in a spreadsheet:
    a) The targeted keyword phrase (i.e. Link text to be used in the paid link - for example, "car maintenance" if that is what you want to rank for)
    b) The URL where you are considering buying the paid link
    c) Whether the URL of the page on which you are considering buying the link IS indexed in Google
    d) Whether the URL of the page on which you are considering buying the link IS indexed in Yahoo!
    e) Whether the URL of the page on which you are considering buying the link IS indexed in MSN/Live
    f) Whether the URL of the page on which you are considering buying the link actually ranks in the top XXX positions at Google (set preferences at Google to 100 results per page and look back as far as they will let you - usually 500-1000 positions) to see where it ranks. Note the rank if found... Note how far back you looked if not found...
    g) the number of times the exact targeted keyword phrase appears on the page at the URL where you're considering buying the link (for example, "car maintence")
    h) the number of times the individual keywords that make up the targeted keyword phrase appear on the page at the URL where you're considering buying the link (for example, "car" appears 11 times, "maintenance" appears 3)
    g) the number of times phrases determined by lexical semantic analysis to be related appear on the page (see use of the '~' operator at Google if you don't know how to get these. For "car maintenance search for "~car ~maintenance" without the quotes at Google and not the highlighted words in the SERPs). In the case of "car maintenance", it will include words like "auto", "vehicle", "care"). I will do this in a single column like "auto x4, vehicle x12, care x0" and list all
    h) Least important in my book, the PR of the page at the URL on which you are considering purchasing the link
    i) The number of followed outbound links on the page at the URL where you're considering buying the link. This is important if you care about the page also passing you PR. The more followed outbound links on the page, the less PR that gets passed out on each link.
    j) Use the LINK: operator at Yahoo! to determine how many inbound links the URL where you're considering buying the link has
    k) Use the LINK: operator at Yahoo! to determine how many EXTERNAL inbound links the URL where you're considering buying the link has

5) Consider contextual links over (in the main body of the page like linking to your site from within one of their articles) simple links in the sidebar or footer of the page.

6) Never buy a link on any site that advertises that they sell text links on their site or that advertises they participate in reciprocal, 3-way, 4-way, etc. link exchanges. This is a site BEGGING to be penalized.

7) Never buy a link on a page w/ a gray barred PR. This can be a sign that the page is penalized and you might be buying a worthless link. The page may just be new and not have been updated w/ a PR yet... But if it's a page more than 3-4 months old then it should have a visible PR. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

8) NEVER post anything online that indicates you have bought links or are looking to buy links ESPECIALLY in Google's help forums while you're logged into your Webmaster Tools account.

9) I would suggest paying monthly if possible, quarterly as a worse case. I would only pay yearly if the price was peanuts... like <$100/yr. This way if the site goes down, the URL where your link is located gets penalized or deindexed, etc. you are not out a bunch of money.

10) You'll need to be committed to buying several links for each targeted keyword phrase in order for buying links to help your rankings. Buying one PR5 link for example is NOT going to boost your rankings hardly at all. You'll want to buy like 10 or more per keyword phrase in order to really see a jump.

11) Don't throw up 10 inbound links to a single URL on the same day. Stagger the times when the links go up.

12) Monitor your targeted keyword rankings before and after the links go up so that you can gauge what kind of effect the paid links had on your rankings.

If you buy from directly from a site:
    1) Seek out your sites where you might want to buy links for your targeted keyword phrase by searching for the keyword phrase you want to rank for at Google. Then look back in the SERPs, say 100 positions or more, and view those URLs. Look for your exact targeted keyword phrase within the main content of the page (not in the footer or side bars) and decide exactly where you want the link to be. Contact those webmasters to see if they are interested in an "arrangement". Tell them exactly where you'd like them to hyperlink the phrase "car maintenance" (for example, in the 3rd sentence of the second paragraph of the article on the page).

2) Get a simple contract with them that specifies how much you are paying, how often you are paying, when the contract expires, what happens should the page be deindexed at one or more the major engines, and something about your options for renewing the contract.

If you buy through a link broker:
    1) NEVER buy from a link broker where you can view their inventory of potential placements online. If you can signup for an account with them, log in, and see the URLs where you can buy I link then so can Google or "friends" of Google helping them to track down sellers for penalties. Your deals with the broker should be done via spreadsheets containing custom placement offerings and the pricing for each placement.

2) ALWAYS negotiate the link price down. They have a BIG profit margin. They may sell a link for $100/month but only give the site where the link is placed $10-50/month of that.

There are probably 1000 other things I didn't mention that should be considered when buying links... but hopefully some of these will get you thinking about things to consider.

Canonical, May 3, 2009 IP
  13. chandi786

chandi786 Peon

Best Answers:
    oh Canonical, May God bless you. Thanks for such a huge and detailed post

chandi786, May 4, 2009 IP
  14. Canonical

Best Answers:
    Correction... The following sentence in the above post:

should have read:

Canonical, May 4, 2009 IP
  15. everythingisplanned

everythingisplanned Peon

Best Answers:
    actually google PR update regular but it visible after 90 days or may be less after that google Tool bar updated

everythingisplanned, May 4, 2009 IP
  16. Canonical

Best Answers:
    Actually if you've read my other posts here on PR (like here or here) you'd know that I'm well aware of the fact that a URL's 'real' PR is constantly being updated and that it is THAT 'real' PR that is used as one of the factors in their ranking algorithm, NOT the toolbar PR... and the fact that when a PR update is published, the toolbar PR is already weeks out of date... and that the toolbar PR is updated every 3-4 months... and that toolbar PR is basically worthless as any type of measure of how that page will rank for a particular keyword phrase... yada yada yada...

But the OP has no way of EVER possibly knowing the 'real' PR for a URL where he is considering buying a link... He can only find out what the Google Toolbar PR is since they last published a toolbar PR update. So I didn't bother to go into a diatribe explaining the difference between 'real' PR and toolbar PR (visible PR).

Since the only PR he can possibly be looking at is the toolbar PR, I only explained about the toolbar PR and the fact that it is never current since its always a snapshot of what the URLs 'real' PR was in some point in the past.

I even pointed out VERY clearly that I was talking about the Toolbar PR and not the real PR...

Canonical, May 4, 2009 IP