1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keyword Density: What is Right?

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by melbel, May 3, 2009.

I've heard tons of conflicting information on keyword density. The only thing that each argument has in common is that you shouldn't go over 5%.

From some I hear that 3% is best and from others I hear that just mentioning the keyword like three times on each page is good enough. Everyone agrees that off-page SEO is the most important (I can see why it's that way.)

What are your thoughts/opinions on the correct percentage for keyword density?

melbel, May 3, 2009 IP
  2. Michael T.

Michael T. Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've also heard tons off different opinions about keyword density,some people even think that it is a myth,I am not sure about that but I am sure that you can get penalized for keyword stuffing.

I somehow believe that the best range is between 2%-7%,so 3%-4% is the best IMO.

A few months ago I took one afternoon and analyzed keyword density for the first page results for popular searches,the criteria was phrases with more than 20,000 searches monthly(exact)from the google keyword tool.

Most off the sites had 2%-7%,while some even had 20%.

Don't worry about keyword density,just include your main words in the text here and there and you should be fine with that.

Michael T., May 3, 2009 IP
    melbel likes this.
  3. articleterritory

articleterritory Peon

Best Answers:
    I've also read a lot of different suggestions of what your keyword density should be....

I'd say that 20% is the max but ideally 3-7% is where you want to be!

Good luck!

articleterritory, May 3, 2009 IP
    melbel likes this.
  4. kranthi.seo

kranthi.seo Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are writing an article to submit it to the article directories, then the keyword density is 3-6%
    If you are writing an article to use it in the web page, then the keyword density is 2-5%

kranthi.seo, May 7, 2009 IP
  5. Monker

Monker Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Melbel, get your keyword in using natural language, the net is for humans not user agents, just a thought. Also www.scrubtheweb.com has some nice keyword analysis features if you submit your site.

Monker

Monker, May 11, 2009 IP
  6. johnkhoo

johnkhoo Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no direct answer for this. Any keyword density around 3% to 5% is consider good enough. You may notice that while we are doing article submission, if our article's keyword density is very high, some of the article submission site may reject our article and ask us to re-submit. Probably it is because they don't want us to focus only on keywords but content. I think it is the same as Google search engine. They want quality content and not only keywords with poor content.

johnkhoo, May 11, 2009 IP
  7. Francozac

Francozac Peon

Best Answers:
    yes,Keyword density is the number of times a keyword or keyword phrase is used on an article. The number varies depending on the number of words used in an article. An effective article must have a keyword density that is not too high or too low.
    With a very high density, the essence of the article is lost and may turn off a reader as well as the search engines. It comes off as overeager. A low number may be ignored by the search engines.
    Therefore,it should be balanced between 5-6%.
    Thanks

Francozac, May 11, 2009 IP
  8. robertstr

robertstr Member

Best Answers:
    You’d had better to give balance between a keyword and a keyword phrase. Depending on the total words in your article, you could vary. The most effective an article is, the most suitably you have a keyword density

robertstr, May 14, 2009 IP
  9. T.J.

T.J. Peon

Best Answers:
    Well it all depends on what your are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to focous on seo for you site or articles then you would at least want to use it maybe at least once in the beginning of your article or web page and once at the end.

I would not worry about desnsity at all. Period. Why? Because you should be writing naturally for one. When you try to write articles and optimize your site it sounds more like you are stuffing and less like you are writing for the end user (who ever will read your article).

Secondly what you should be worried about more is using LSI or latent semantic indexing. This is using words that are simalar as opposed to using the exact phrase 3% or whatever % of the time.

In addittion you said it best when you said: off-page SEO is the most important (I can see why it's that way).

Concentrate on that more than anything. The most important place to put you keyword is in your title. Period.
    then the beginning of your article. Can't say it enough. Don't worry about density. Just write naturally and use the exact keyword you want once or twice in your article, get those backlinks and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps!

T.J., May 14, 2009 IP
  10. Martamars

Martamars Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say that 3-4 keywords would be the best. Even if Google change something in the future this will still a normal text. My opinion is to make articles as natural as they can be.

Martamars, May 14, 2009 IP
  11. shruchi nagar

shruchi nagar Guest

Best Answers:
    Its very difficult to say that what should be the exact keyword density as Google changes its algorithm.

But having 2-3% of keywords in the content seems normal article. So it will not effect even if Google will change its algorithm.

shruchi nagar, May 15, 2009 IP
  12. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    The poster who said 'keep it simple' was absolutely right. Anyone who tells you there is a 'definite' performance is full of it. After all, how do you think google etc determine what keyword density is 'too much'??? That's right, they analyse their data and look for items outside the statistical curve. As this is a dynamic thing, it changes everytime google dances. *keep t natural*

contentboss, May 15, 2009 IP
  13. devin1

devin1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Before I place many keyword on page. but now I don't. keyword density is not so important. " keeep it simple " is top principle.

devin1, May 20, 2009 IP
  14. Lori Wakin

Lori Wakin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, give me some proof about your nembers, man ;);)

Lori Wakin, May 24, 2009 IP
  15. Britt

Britt Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know anything about keyword density:confused: and I feel bad when I see people struggling to learn every little detail of search engine optimization when it isn't necessary. You waste a lot of time and energy that you could be using on more important business. There is a much easier way to SEO your site so PM me.

Britt, May 25, 2009 IP