1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The fall of google

Discussion in 'Google' started by cipcip, May 3, 2009.

Before judging me for what i write I must tell that this is my own personal opinion.

Ok here it goes: In my own personal opinion in the next 10 years Google will NOT be #1 search engine in the world. Why ? Simple...

The Wolfram Research team will launch this month a search engine that uses artificial intelligence to search the web. This is a new and inovative type of searching that will have a big success in my opinion.

The site didn't launched and it already has a Google Pagerank 7 and an Alexa rank of 44.159, I think that says it all right ?

So for the ones that wanna see the site here it is: wolframalpha.com

What do you think about this ?

P.S. THIS IS NOT MY SITE, I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH THEM IN ANY WAY. IT IS MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION. I WAS NOT PAID TO MAKE THIS POST.

cipcip, May 3, 2009 IP
    pctec likes this.
  2. Kinkyjoe

Kinkyjoe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Who knows?
    To tell you the truth I would like to see the day when google gets slapped and falls... but that just might be an impossibility.

A lot of people use google in their everyday lives, so it's really difficult for google to fall.
    We'll see in the future...

Kinkyjoe, May 3, 2009 IP
  3. Shazz

Shazz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Great future prediction, some companies can't hold #1 forever :D

Shazz, May 3, 2009 IP
  4. artagnan1978

artagnan1978 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I really don't know what to say about that... it is possible for Google to fall... If you are sure about that, you might hurry up and buy wolframalpha shares on the stock market - if they are listed. You could make a fortune with that.

Maybe that a few years back, nobody believed that Yahoo will not be the no.1 search engine.

But, let's not forget, that Google is not just a simple search engine, is much ore that that, with a lot of other features.

and if this new search engine wants to be somebody, should have a better name, because in my opinion this is not a feasible one...

artagnan1978, May 3, 2009 IP
  5. waxman1000

waxman1000 Peon

Best Answers:
    You know what, i know Google will not be the first all through. If you have ever some any elementary marketing, you will know that every company have a life span that is like the normal distribution curve. Goes up and then goes down.

You rightly said 10 years. I think it may be a bit shorter than that. Say 8 years or so.

waxman1000, May 3, 2009 IP
  6. usmanzali

usmanzali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/ I can't even say tat :| It so hard. Google is so simple. It is part of everyday life google has become a part of our language. when somesays something we say google it dumb ass!

usmanzali, May 3, 2009 IP
  7. HomeComputerGames

HomeComputerGames Peon

Best Answers:
    A long time ago when I lived in Austin Texas this person, looking a little desperate, came into our office and tried to sell me some stock in his startup. I turned him down. I did offer him a job as a roofer's helper. The company.........Dell Computers... :eek:

Google is a love hate situation. They certainly do not care who they hurt or that they crush your business with so called policy violations that are never detailed to you. I would get some enjoyment out of them taking a fall fer sure.

HomeComputerGames, May 3, 2009 IP
  8. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is not the fall of Google.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYhLsQPHNas

You will notice that while it can pull researched data quite nicely, how do you ask it what the best firewall is? Or any opinion for that matter?

It's neat that you can easily tell a search engine to divide the GDP of France by two with one query, but I could easily just use a calculator. This is not revolutionary, this is a simple piece of code created to apply to different semantics.

I'll say that this will likely impact the market share that Google has for research, but they will surely not fall in the least. Wolfram Alpha is a niche product. Google isn't.

zac439, May 3, 2009 IP
  9. cipcip

cipcip Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The idea itself is revolutionary so it might have a great impact to end-users and not to webmasters. After all in the world the number of end-users is bigger than the number of webmasters :)

cipcip, May 3, 2009 IP
  10. JohnUK

JohnUK Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Zac. This will not be the end of googles supremacy although that day will come eventually. Some of the reasons why Google will be fine:

1. If they felt threatened by this they would/will buy them.
    2. Google over the past decade have been recruiting the brightest computer scientist in the world and if they thought it important enough they would create as good a tool or better. (I am a computer scientist from Oxford uni and know the allure of google)
    3. Wolfram Alpha and google are not in direct competition google is a search engine for finding websites (mainly) while Alpha process data to get finite answers to questions. Google is fast, the simple content analysis gets the results fast and its suitable for 90+% of searches while we havent seen what alpha can do.

A SE that had better potential for hurting google was bought by MS last year called powerset. It tries to understand the semantic implications of a search string e.g. "play pool" and "play in the pool" it would know that pool is the queue game in the first instance and a swimming pool in the second. Not sure how thats going but this will be important in the future.

Cheers. J.

sources:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8026331.stm
    http://venturebeat.com/2008/06/26/microsoft-to-buy-semantic-search-engine-powerset-for-100m-plus/
    http://blog.wolframalpha.com/

JohnUK, May 3, 2009 IP
  11. adsenser

adsenser Peon

Best Answers:
    Agree with JohnUK

Well Future is uncertain but consider this point. Google's Search Strategy is very much based on the surfer's habit which wolframalpha.com lacks in (at least at the moment). The time taken by wolframalpha in growing might see some new, more innovative technology from Google.
    In my opinion, Google has moved far far away from normal competition level so its just not easy to defeat it. Anyways lets see.

Remember the fate of Cuil.com!

adsenser, May 3, 2009 IP
  12. lindamood1

lindamood1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    main thing google not fall bcoz google always take eye of what competitior are doing and take useful features from them and include in their own search algo.

lindamood1, May 4, 2009 IP
  13. dairyman

dairyman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have read this quote somewhere. It is easier to reach the top position but to persist with the number one position is a bit difficult.
    Though google is at present in the unenviable number one position but sure there is a good competitor in making...

dairyman, May 4, 2009 IP
    pctec likes this.
  14. colombopro

colombopro Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it may be true.
    No one can not predict the future and google definitely can not remain at the top forever.
    New comers will enter the market.

colombopro, May 4, 2009 IP
  15. mdamin76

mdamin76 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love to see competition, especially competition to google. :D

mdamin76, May 4, 2009 IP
  16. Cebu Real Estate

Cebu Real Estate Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you remember CUIL the google killer? then what happened before years?

Cebu Real Estate, May 4, 2009 IP
  17. Diegan

Diegan Active Member

Best Answers:
    If they see a threat, they'll buy it hehe.

Diegan, May 4, 2009 IP
  18. Michaelr

Michaelr Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder how it has got such a high pr?

Michaelr, May 4, 2009 IP
  19. fadetoblack22

fadetoblack22 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest google is good enough for me. It always returns the results I want. I always find what I want in the end if it exists.

fadetoblack22, May 4, 2009 IP
  20. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The fall of google seems impossible as of now....but that does not mean that it would never happen in future!

Some day, somebody will just rise out of nowhere and make much much faster progress, making google look more like a snail....hopefully! :eek:

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, May 4, 2009 IP