1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Administrative crap

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Y.L. Prinzel, Apr 28, 2009.

Maybe it's the tea talking...but I'm thinking about not keeping copies of my ghostwriting clips anymore.

I used to try to keep a copy of everything I wrote. I don't really know why, it just seemed like the thing to do. Ghostwriting work can't be used as a sample in my portfolio, and I have no real need for it, so I think I want to just delete all the files. I keep track of projects finished for each client in my CRM program (awww, I tried to make it sound fancy, but I just use Excel) so it's not like I won't have any idea what projects I completed without copies of the work.

Tell me why this is a bad idea before I do this...or tell me it's a good idea and then laugh snidely as I ruin my life by destroying these files. I've got tea so I don't care what you do :)

Y.L. Prinzel, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I don't keep copies of my ghostwritten work unless I have the client's permission to use it. I don't keep them for portfolio purposes that is. I do keep them backed up somewhere in case the client ever comes back needing another copy for some reason.

jhmattern, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  3. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    I keep them simply because I don't go back and delete them.

I have all my freelance work in one folder and sub-folders for each client. I don't have a habit of pruning work, so it's just there. If I haven't done any work for a client in awhile, I just move it to an archive folder.

latoya, Apr 30, 2009 IP
    Y.L. Prinzel likes this.
  4. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I only keep a few samples from projects that best show my ability to write for ghostwritten content, especially when it directly shows SEO targeted content with proper keyword density. It's just easier to ask if it can be used as a non-profit sample for web content buyers.

Otherwise, I delete, delete, delete. I do way too much to keep it all...I would have to get a full separate hard drive to keep it!

oo87, Apr 30, 2009 IP
    Y.L. Prinzel likes this.
  5. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I do have an extra hard drive lying around...I like Jennifer's point about the client possibly needing another copy. And since a future edit is included in my price, I can't really expect my client to supply it to me. Alright, well, I guess I'll just move everything onto an external and save it for future. Thanks for the input :)

Y.L. Prinzel, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  6. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I keep everything.

First of all, I retain the right to show ghost work in my portfolio should I choose to do so. That's important.

Second, work I've done in the past can inspire work I'm doing in the present or future.

Third, a huge external HD costs nothing these days and it takes no effort to archive it all. My Mac does this for me on its own (Time Machine).

Fourth, you can see how you've progressed over time or how you've picked up bad habits.

marketjunction, Apr 30, 2009 IP
    Y.L. Prinzel likes this.
  7. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    So, you only take on clients who give you express permission to show the work in your portfolio? Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems short-sighted to me. My highest paying clients are generally those who require the most confidentiality regarding my involvement in the project.

Y.L. Prinzel, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  8. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Oh, I save them for a week before I delete them, just in case. I have had to resend before. But I don't keep them after that, it just takes too much space.

oo87, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  9. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting. I don't really do ghostwriting at all. But then I write mostly ads, radio, websites and leave behinds.

webgal, May 1, 2009 IP
    Y.L. Prinzel likes this.
  10. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why not dump them to a CD or tape of some kind and file them away?

Storage space has become so inexpensive that I'm not sure if the gains are worth the possible risks. Like Jen mentioned, the client could come back for a rewrite. Another aspect of that would be the client might come back for a new project and it could turn out really badly if your new work turned out too similar to the original - after all the same brain is creating both.

The old pieces might also be a way to approach a somewhat dormant client with, "I have an idea on a follow-up piece for that work we did last year..."

YMC, May 1, 2009 IP
  11. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    I had decided to store everything on an external hard drive after Jenn's comment. The idea of a follow up is a really good one that I hadn't thought of. Further encouragement that I need to keep everything :)

Y.L. Prinzel, May 1, 2009 IP
  12. @phang

@phang Active Member

Best Answers:
    I keep everything archived; sometimes it's an inspiration to see how many people have put their trust in you. Other times, it's quite depressing! Must get out more...

@phang, May 1, 2009 IP
    Y.L. Prinzel likes this.
  13. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I'm anal when it comes to these things. I keep every single file of every work I make. That includes notes I made about a certain project, project briefs, even snippets of clients' emails that I use for writing the copy, etc. That's probably because I THINK, I might need them in the future (like my old clothes, shoes and guitars still lying around the house).

So yeah, you might need these stuff again in the future, so I suggest you keep them. But that'll probably work if you're like me or squirrels who enjoy keeping more stuff than they can handle. :D

cd928, May 1, 2009 IP
    Y.L. Prinzel likes this.
  14. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    I do keep all the emails--kind of a CYA I guess. And yes @phang, it can be depressing :)

Y.L. Prinzel, May 3, 2009 IP
  15. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A solid contact/project manager system will help you effortlessly keep notes, emails and more. The one I use (Mac) automatically logs all emails (in and out) to the client and keeps a copy in its own DB. It's basically a contact manager, project manager and more.

It's important to have everything in a central location and linked, because as you grow and time passes, it's easy to have stuff everywhere.

marketjunction, May 6, 2009 IP
  16. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    My VA keeps all the emails filed and tracks projects worked on. I've tried a bunch of different programs and for some reason none except ACT! really do what I like. Although, I haven't tried any Mac stuff since I'm a PC gir......oh crap, I just froze up :). I was really referring to the articles themselves in my initial question. Jenn brought up the great point that the client may need a copy at a later date. Also, since I include rewrites in my price, I should have a copy on file anyway. Then YMC mentioned using them as a hook for a follow up which is another great point.

Thank you all for your feedback. My external hard drive thanks you for giving it a new life :)

Y.L. Prinzel, May 6, 2009 IP
  17. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm... will check out ACT! Any other programs you can suggest? Work's starting to pile up. and. must. keep. control. or. else. i'll. go. crazy. :eek:

cd928, May 6, 2009 IP