1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What ranks better : '.info' or '.com'

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by dude91, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Lovely

Lovely Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think there is no difference in SEO perspective. Its just easier for people to remember .com

Lovely, May 1, 2009 IP
    dude91 likes this.
  2. Microdot

Microdot Active Member

Best Answers:
    It comes down to how good your content is, how many sites support your content (backlinks) and if you provide value to the surfer.

Microdot, May 1, 2009 IP
    dude91 likes this.
  3. dude91

dude91 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Repps added!

dude91, May 1, 2009 IP
  4. pithu7

pithu7 Banned

Best Answers:
    pithu7, May 2, 2009 IP
  5. affiliates4seo

affiliates4seo Peon

Best Answers:
    lizaveta - Good and right answer.

affiliates4seo, May 2, 2009 IP
  6. goggle

goggle Peon

Best Answers:
    I set up a plain website with half a dozen pages on a .info with keywords in the domain. There are 4 possible combinations due to British/American spelling variations. A month or two after registering domain and putting up website, it's ranked #1, #3, #4, & #3 for Google SERPS depending on what spelling used for the search terms. Oddly, the #1 ranking is for search terms spelt differently than the keywords in the domain name and in the title tag.

Total results on Google SERPS from a search of any of the 4 combinations is about 20,000.

Microsoft has #1, #1, #1, and not ranked in first 30 for one spelling (I didn't check further). Total results about 20,000.
    Yahoo has #1, #1, and not ranked in first 10 for two spellings. Total results about 100,000-150,000.

I know it's hardly exhaustive research but I was pleasantly surprised. It helped of course that there are no other domains in the SERPS with those keywords, but there are many pages on various other websites that have been around for a couple of years at least with the same keywords.

goggle, May 2, 2009 IP
  7. geula4

geula4 Peon

Best Answers:
    IMHO, I agree that ".com" would rank better, asuming that all other factors are equal.

geula4, May 2, 2009 IP
  8. thejojy

thejojy Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen some .info sites ranked well, it depends how you optimize your website for search engines

thejojy, May 2, 2009 IP
  9. BrandonToday

BrandonToday Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter at all.

BrandonToday, May 2, 2009 IP
  10. drjupitor

drjupitor Banned

Best Answers:
    Obviously .com rank better than all others.

drjupitor, May 3, 2009 IP
  11. The Expert

The Expert Peon

Best Answers:
    .com is a safer bet than .info

Anyone who says otherwise should talk to people that were building 20 or 30 sites on the backs of .info domains when GoDaddy was having it's sale and letting the go for .99 cents.

Guys would have 50 sites running. 25 were .com and .net sites and 25 were newer .info sites and all were in the top 10 for their targeted keywords.

The hammer came down and these .info domains were all dropped to page 5 in a matter of 72 hours, but the .com sites remained the same. All sites were similar in nature. Ebay affiliate sites with lite content. All things being equal except the domain extention it was quickly determined that .info was the culprit.

This is not to say that all .info domains were given a penalty though. When this all went down some had heavy, content-rich sites that never experienced a change. The algorithm took the fact that there was tons of keyword specific content into account and "passed over" those authority sites.

Anyway, the word on the street is, if you are going to build a series of content-rich sites (or sites that will get traffic from places other than search) then .info is a safe bet. Other than that, it's best to fork over the extra 4 dollars and go with a .com or .net

The Expert, May 3, 2009 IP
  12. AlbertMARKET

AlbertMARKET Peon

Best Answers:
    Nothing, or else all webmasters would go after that domain ending. It is all about backlinks, but i prefer .com because it is just more memorable.

AlbertMARKET, May 3, 2009 IP
  13. magarena

magarena Active Member

Best Answers:
    Many people using black hat strategies register and use millions of .info domains for their games. Google.com know that and set additional filters to all new .info domains.

magarena, May 3, 2009 IP
  14. maxdomain

maxdomain Peon

Best Answers:
    i prefer .com. users remember .com domains simply and i notice a little different between .info and .com for seo.

maxdomain, May 3, 2009 IP
  15. wsitehelp

wsitehelp Guest

Best Answers:
    .com is better to go with

wsitehelp, May 3, 2009 IP
  16. mrandrei

mrandrei Peon

Best Answers:
    Domain extension is irrelevant to Google ranking. Google doesn't favor any specific domain extension. If you want to achieve a good ranking, you need to do the right on-page optimization and linkbuilding techniques.

mrandrei, May 3, 2009 IP
  17. ainmohd

ainmohd Peon

Best Answers:
    dairyman,
    You wrote "When it comes to ranking by google, dot com has an edge over dot info."

You are 100% sure?

Please have a look (Google for "music") at http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=music&fp=KqtEvp1-d7s now.

I saw 50% of them not .com.

For some searches, .com almost disappeared.

Now there are more netsurfers outside the English-speaking nations searching for information normally available from websites not using .com.

I have about 10+ websites using .info, .hk.cn, .in domains enjoying good ranking.

I'm a full-time net biz guy and to survive I have to update myself with latest the SE technologies, including
    how to get more traffic from non-English speaking countries.

I do agree that .com is good for the memory. If available I will register all top 4 domains (.com, .net, .org & .info).

ainmohd, May 3, 2009 IP
  18. c_mohanty

c_mohanty Peon

Best Answers:
    TLD always matter as per as searches is concerned but in the eyes of search engine extensions does not matter.

c_mohanty, May 3, 2009 IP
  19. chandi786

chandi786 Peon

Best Answers:
    dot com has an edge over anyother extension like .net , .info but not over .gov and .edu

chandi786, May 4, 2009 IP
  20. dude91

dude91 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

good stuff!

dude91, May 7, 2009 IP