1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why have I dropped?

Discussion in 'Google' started by mdj101, Apr 30, 2009.

Hi All.

When I first appeared on google last year for the single most searched for word related to my business I managed to get to number 1 worldwide for a few days before settling down to 5 - 12. Since then I have managed to get other popular searches to the top of google and have even got the singular to the number 2 spot on yahoo worldwide and #1 in uk.

A few months ago I slipped to 20 - 22 for the singular on google and have recently (last couple of days) slipped to page 6!

I would really like to get back up to page 1 before the firework season starts here again in the UK.

What really baffles me is there are sites on the first page with a lower pr, less backlinks etc.

I would love for you guys to take a look and tell me what you think.

mdj101, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  2. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Mark unfortunately it sounds like you might have been penalized. Page #6 is a common place to land up after being penalized. Did you recently lose any links? Did you do anything spammy with your linking or onpage optimization? In Google you only have 13, but in Yahoo you have thousands. So perhaps your link profile just isn't strong enough. For Google rankings you need a lot of quality links. A high number of low quality links does not work as well on Google. Try submitting an article to article directories and/or submit a paid press release. That might help push your site back up. If it does, just keep building more links.

vansterdam, Apr 30, 2009 IP
    lifeplayer likes this.
  3. valternascimento

valternascimento Peon

Best Answers:
    The best way for you is writing to google with the tool under webmsters tools., but before that review your site and see if its not breaking any google directives

valternascimento, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  4. mdj101

mdj101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Guys

I don't think i've been penalised, all my other links seem fine. I don't try and do any blackhat or anything like that, I don't spam directories etc.

You say good backlinks are key but some competitors on page 1 have next to nothing.

Should i be notified if i've been penalised? What do I say when I contact google? I don't know what I should be asking?

I've got a webmaster tools account etc. Would I get notified in here of any penalties.

Sorry for all the questions?

mdj101, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  5. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i agree with vansterdam, what you need is strong quality link but not the quantity. That's the only way to helps you to build a strong base on SERP.

lifeplayer, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  6. mdj101

mdj101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't even remember setting it up but my redorbit page has a PR of 5. Why I do not know.

mdj101, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  7. mdj101

mdj101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks life player do you think having a link like my sig is penalising me?

mdj101, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  8. mdj101

mdj101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Mmm,

I don't understand why google doesn't show more backlinks, I have hundreds. Why could this be.

Also, am I right in saying that google only lists sites that link to your homepage not deeper pages?

mdj101, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  9. Nystul

Nystul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nope i dont think DP sig will lead to any penalization.

Nystul, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  10. Nystul

Nystul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    btw, interesting photos on your china trip! that "factory" definitely doesn't look safe for fireworks production!

Nystul, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  11. mdj101

mdj101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nystul

You'd be surprised, they take safety quite seriously.

Just thinking, I have some really good links from very reputable firework sites, but have these pointing to an affiliate script. Would this stop them showing up on backlinks?

Although saying that I have a very good one and that doesnt even show as a back link. However their listed in my webmaster tools. I just don't understand.....

mdj101, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  12. mdj101

mdj101 Peon

Best Answers:
    mmm.

OK i've been to the message centre and have no messages. So i'm assuming i've not been penalised.

What gets me is under the "what googlebot sees" section the singular is the second most linked from external sites and in the keywords section it's number one for both "in your sites content" and "in external links to your site"

So you would have thought that I would rank higher.

Can I message google and ask them why this is the case or do you have to be penalised first?

mdj101, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  13. kaglong

kaglong Member

Best Answers:
    you should do SEO to increase your pagerank

kaglong, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  14. budbud12

budbud12 Peon

Best Answers:
    im also wondering why google shows no back links for some of my sites and i have thousands.

budbud12, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  15. ubernova

ubernova Peon

Best Answers:
    i think google only counts backlinks with page rank, cos when you goto backlinkwatch.com and scan for backlinks i find 1500, but in google only a few.

also google are changing, especially recently. there are so many ways to exploit google and the past 4 months google really has been getting ontop of these techniques, thus penalizing sites that used those techniques. Also what previously might have been accepted may not be the case now, as i have found out with my plumeting rank and google visibility.

my best advise is, never use an SEO company, they use blackhat stuff 9/10, plus you dont know what techniques they were/are using. avoid *NEW* css/javascript menu's like those that use the css tag: display:none; google explicitly views this as cloaking, the web is evolving but google isn't, this cos it's bot can't read that type of code or WILL mis-interpret the code as cloaking,thus penalizing legit websites.

funny isn't it! with CSS v3.0,web 2.0, javascript, ajax etc gaining dominance for client side content delivery/manipulation. that google penalizes those that are pushing technology. if you want fast and constant traffic and eventual page rank from google, forget buzz website technologies, keep anything like that to a very minimum and stick to old fashioned html content, this is purely cos googlebot cannot read new technologies as the user would.

ubernova, Apr 30, 2009 IP