1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm #2. Leave alone or change things to get to #1?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by rorie12, Apr 29, 2009.

Hi

I'm ranking number 2 on Google for my main keywords.

Should I change things to try to get to number 1, or shall I sit tight?

What do you think?

Cheers

rorie12, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  2. rksy

rksy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You try to change what? If you're saying that you want to change your page seo. The answer is NO!. Don't fix something that aren't broken. All you have to do now is getting backlink for the main keyword to your site. Build more and more..you'll get the taste of the no.1 soon.

rksy, Apr 29, 2009 IP
    freelistfool likes this.
  3. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    /agree 110% unless there is something obvious wrong w/ the <title> and/or <h1>.

Canonical, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  4. rorie12

rorie12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies! To be clear then, the fact that I'm #2 shows that the on page SEO is good enough, and now it is all about links?

rorie12, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  5. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would not say that on-page factors might not help you reach number one but what I would say is that it is a 'risk vs. reward' scenario. If you change something on page, like your title tag then you risk dropping down to number 25 and having to fight your way back to number 2. Having secured the number 2 spot I would start off by taking a very close look at the backlinks of the site in number 1 and be patient.

And yes I do believe it is likely you could take the number one spot by getting more quality backlinks but each situation is different and without knowing the URL it is impossible to say for sure.

jg123, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  6. Hero3s

Hero3s Peon

Best Answers:
    You must fight to get the #1 on Google.

More traffic more money.. :p

Hero3s, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  7. GuruCreation

GuruCreation Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't change anything.. You are sitting nice.. Work on your Off-Page SEO now.. Maybe, article marketing to get you more quality backlinks.

GuruCreation, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  8. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    This is exactly right. Don't change the page that is ranking. Once you get to the first page of Google for a term it's not as much about strengthening the page itself. Instead it's about strengthening your entire site for that term. That's what will get you to #1.

Add some pages on your site that link to and from the #2 page. These pages should be close in theme and contain some variation of the keyword term. Then of course get some links back to your site with variations of your keyword. The links don't have to be to the page with the #2 term.

Once you get to the first page of Google for a term it's not as much about strengthening the page itself. Instead it's about strengthening your entire site for that term. That's what will get you to #1.

freelistfool, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  9. bob25

bob25 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you kidding? Try not to breath to hard or do any bad deeds or you might upset the Google gods and disappear into never never land :)

Seriously the #1 spot in both the organic and paid listings tend to get a lot of "casual" clicks. I'd do off page optimization building backlinks, writing articles, etc.

Not to burst your bubble, but Google tends to favor new sites early, and it may end up in the sandbox for a while. But sometimes it'll show up in Yahoo and MSN in the meantime.

bob25, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  10. Nystul

Nystul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends how much effort do you think you'll require to get to #1, and maybe spend that effort on other keywords.

It is always about fine balancing your efforts.

Nystul, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  11. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No changes unless you are #2 without your keywords in places like your title tag, header tags and throughout your page content. If you have your keywords in those places then just get more links.

Web Gazelle, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  12. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if yuo are #2 for a competitive term, then only thing yuo need to do is to keep building backlinks on an occational basis. if you stop building links, your competitors will catch up in no time and will outrank you eventually.

sultanofseo, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  13. kbeus21

kbeus21 Peon

Best Answers:
    Remember you worked hard to get to number two and you found something that works with google the diffrence between one and two and three are very little if you find yourself in the top three (money spots) you are doing something right. I would recommend keep doing what your doing and build some more good relevant backlinks.

kbeus21, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  14. rorie12

rorie12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone - very useful advice.

rorie12, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  15. AliceJ

AliceJ Peon

Best Answers:
    You have tried your best....just analysis your competitor's sites....and do best for your site....

AliceJ, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  16. creare-site

creare-site Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should stay at this position. Don't try to change anything. Is possible to fall from SERPs for a small change in site's code.

creare-site, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  17. petes1980

petes1980 Peon

Best Answers:
    i wouldn't change your exisiting pages but adding relevant content related to your keywords, like blog or news pages, may help increase your sites authority on the subject. Apart from that you are probably best off concentrating on off page seo.

petes1980, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  18. kutekutta

kutekutta Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't change anything on your site, it will hurt your position. Continue your link building it might help you yo reach #1.

kutekutta, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  19. creare-site

creare-site Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. Try to add relevant links with good anchor text. Maybe you will jump at first position. :D:D

creare-site, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  20. catanich

catanich Peon

Best Answers:
    Being #1 is great for bragging rights but it will always require you to update it. Remember the current #1 will then make changes that you will need to match.

Going around in circles becomes very expensive in time and money. Being #2 will get you a "well done" anywhere.

catanich, Apr 30, 2009 IP