1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR0 Site - Would it still be indexed?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Ian, Apr 28, 2009.

If a site had been hit with a PR0, would it at that point get deindexed? I have a site that had been dormant for a couple of years that I decided to put some work back into, and I've been waiting for it to get re-indexed (which it has) and then for visitors to start coming, and it hasn't been getting any traffic. After checking it today, I noticed that toolbar is showing it with a 0/10.

Now on this site I restructured the URL set up to static URL's (it's an online store) for each of the items, and unfortunately due to the .htaccess file it left the old pages with a 401 and they couldn't be redirected. So I'm assuming as it crawls and finds they're no longer available, it will deindex those. The site up until I went back into it had a lot of broken images, etc. because the old links had expired after the vendor had obviously taken them down.

But I think the site used to be a PR2 and the toolbar now is a 0. I guess I could take the time to write a script to create a sitemap and put it into the webmaster tools, but I guess the question I have is does a PR0 site generally get removed from the index? I just don't get why it's been so long and there hasn't been any change or increase in traffic since I revamped it so I'm thinking maybe something happened.

Ian, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  2. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As a follow up there are no errors in the Google Webmaster Tools (I added it a month ago) other than the "Not Found" pages. It also says, "We didn't detect any content issues with your site" under Content Analysis. Now this was a pretty dramatic update (I did a major overhaul on this site) and after further review the site had been sitting around for about 3-years dormant, so I'm guessing it was greatly devalued with all the broken images, dead content, etc. I'm just wondering how long it will sit there before its' status changes in the search engines.

Ian, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  3. HOLDEM8

HOLDEM8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes of course! I have many new sites that were indexed very fast. The trick is to submit links to social media sites such as Digg, etc.

HOLDEM8, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  4. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are billions of PR0 sites in Google's index. There is no reason the site should be considered worthless unless you have been banned by Google for using some very blackhat SEO technique.

PR0 just means you have a very weak backlink profile. It has nothing to do with whether you'll be deindexed or not.

First thing I would do is sign up for Google's Webmaster Tools, get your site verified, and start looking at the 4XX errors listed there. There has GOT to be a way to 301 redirect your old URLs to the new URLs using Mod Rewrite if you are still hosting your site at the same web host. I would call your hosting company and have them assist you with it. They should be able to fix it. It appears that those pages when accessed are requiring you to authenticate a username, and it's failing. This alone could increase your PR if there are still sites out there linking to your old URLs.

The next thing you should do is build more backlinks to your site. PR is a measure of link popularity - a function of the number and strength of your backlinks. The more do FOLLOW links you get to your URL, the higher it's 'real' PR, and once you have so many backlinks your toolbar PR will jump at the time of the next PR update.

Canonical, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  5. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Indexing isn't the issue.

Ian, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  6. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with the rewrite is it overlooks the directory that the old files were in, which is why they couldn't be redirected. It looks like it's deindexed all the dead ones, with about 26 left. With so few I've added them in the tools for removal, so hopefully those get bumped.

No black hat stuff, just complete restructuring of the site and URL's, along with a better linking structure from page to page (each part of the site can be reached within two clicks). I had done this with a few other sites and it's worked well, so I thought I'd try and resurrect this one. I'm just surprised that it's been over a month and there has been very little traffic to it. So I was just wondering if old dormant sites took longer to come around again.

Ian, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  7. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If there was a penalty, does the tools dashboard usually indicate that?

Ian, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  8. himoacs

himoacs Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it will still be indexed but to get better SERPs, higher PR is necessary.

himoacs, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  9. PabloPalatnik

PabloPalatnik Peon

Best Answers:
    In short, No. You can only just completely be wiped from the SERPs if your site is penalized for any reason. PR 0 wont do that.

PabloPalatnik, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  10. catanich

catanich Peon

Best Answers:
    It is very hard to get a PR0 from a old site unless there is a negative. Check out how many of the child pages are "gray barred". If they are, copy and paste a sentence into the google search bar and see who else is using the sentence. If anyone else is using it, then the page(s) are penalized by a duplicate content penalty.

Next, check out the internal back links. Does every page have a link back to the home page. Is it in the correct format.

Last, it is very hard to give advice when we don't have the site url to work with. What's the URL?

catanich, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  11. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's a good idea, I hadn't thought about that. I'll sit down later this evening and take a look at that.

Yes, the linking structure on this site now reflects the other ones I've done, so there is a "HOME" link on each page, and each section is within two clicks.

I know, however as you can imagine it's not wise to have a URL to your site public in these forums :cool:

Ian, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  12. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just looked at the Analytics report, and all the keywords that did bring in traffic this month still show results in Google. So I guess it just takes longer for everything to switch over.

Ian, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  13. themedseoservices

themedseoservices Guest

Best Answers:
    themedseoservices, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  14. karakash

karakash Peon

Best Answers:
    PR is not important anymore.You need well optimised content and quality links - PR5 or PR0 -no big difference,just many links from authority sites

karakash, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  15. newlogo

newlogo Peon

Best Answers:
    pr o having no prob but u need to get high pr backlink to get it index.

newlogo, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  16. lordofthering2008

lordofthering2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    Page rank is not related to index. If PR is needed to get index new sites will never get index.

lordofthering2008, Apr 29, 2009 IP