1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Owning too many sites - Good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by DanRadhey, Apr 26, 2009.

Is it alright to own over 5 sites? Over 10 sites?

Is it alright to make 10 new sites and try and build up each one of them at the same time?

Do you think you can make more money by building up and focusing on one site, or building up multiple sites at the same time for multiple income streams?

DanRadhey, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  2. bubaipal

bubaipal Peon

Best Answers:
    Taking one at a time is better if you don,t have a team.

bubaipal, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  3. waxman1000

waxman1000 Peon

Best Answers:
    When you own too many website at a time you turn to loose focus. And that can lead to failure

waxman1000, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  4. The Prophet

The Prophet Banned

Best Answers:
    I own over 30. Most of the are doing rather well. The ones that arn't, are the ones I have not done anything with. It all depends if you are capable of running that many, and if you know what you are doing.

The Prophet, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  5. mypoint

mypoint Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I generally like to take it one at a time, unless you have sites that can be runned on autopiliot such as proxies.

By workingon one site at a time you get more done and you have time to look at every aspect of the site.

mypoint, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  6. jibber

jibber Peon

Best Answers:
    I would also have to say one site at a time. That is what i do. It is easier to put all my focus into one site.

jibber, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  7. christian231

christian231 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's no reason you can't have 20+ sites and manage all of them successfully, you just have to be disciplined and have a plan. Here's what I do and it works well if you plan on continually building a portfolio of sites:

1. If you get an idea for a blog/site, register the domain right then and just hang onto it until you're ready to use it. Having it registered and aging, even if you just have a "coming soon" page, will help to avoid the sandbox I've found.

2. If you're fortunate enough to have found a system of building & promoting sites that works, just rinse and repeat them one at a time. While your promoting the latest one you've built via backlinks, articles, video, etc., start working on the design of the next one and so on.

3. Don't try to be designing and building more than one site at a time. Focus on the build, then begin the marketing on that site. Then start figuring out the nuts & bolts of the next one. Hopefully you have a domain already sitting that you can get working on.

4. Even after you get some good results for a site you made 1 year ago, and even if it's on autopilot, always go and do some "refresher marketing". Build some more links and touch up the site just to keep it looking fresh.

If your sites rely strictly on organic search engine traffic, there's going to be the lag time between when you start building links and doing off page SEO and when you start seeing results in the search engines. During this time, keep slowly building links for that site, but scale it back a bit. This will give you time to get the next project on it's feet, and by the time the design is done for that one, you should be seeing some good SERPS for the previous site.

After you do a few, you'll become more proficient at getting them built quicker and more importantly, finding the right places to promote the sites so you start getting traffic.

That's how I do it, and while it might not work for everyone, it's a method I've used successfully for quite a while now and I have over 20 sites of varying topics.

christian231, Apr 26, 2009 IP
    GlowStormLion and 4chp like this.
  8. mroca

mroca Peon

Best Answers:
    If your making some cash on each site, its a good thing!
    If your not making some cash on each site, its a bad thing!

There comes a point when you just dont want to spend your money keeping the sites on the net. If your not making enough from the site profits to cover the monthly server costs your not going to want to pay out your pocket.

I have 3 domains, and they are not making money, but its just 3 and I am happy to pay the monthly server bills everymonth and the domain renewals.

If I had like 5-10, and they were not making money, I would be going crazy.

To me, its just about the content that will be put on those multiple sites versus just having one site that will determine how much money you can make.

mroca, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  9. rharper

rharper Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting question... you might want to outsource work to speed things up. For example, you might not be good at making graphics...

Delegate.

rharper, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  10. basal952

basal952 Active Member

Best Answers:
    less is better to stay focus... I run several website at a time. Some give me earning some don't.

basal952, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  11. dherald

dherald Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have over 20 websites and if you ask me to name them I won't be able to, ha

The key to owning many websites is zero maintenance for most of them, and having several "big" projects to focus on.

dherald, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  12. The Prophet

The Prophet Banned

Best Answers:
    The key is taking enough time on each one to make it suitable. Don't make something, and expect to come back to it. I am going to open about 10 more websites soon. That will make ~35 in total.

The Prophet, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  13. Kinkyjoe

Kinkyjoe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's much better if you work on one project at a time. Buy one site first, once you start making money with it... you can move on to the next :)

Kinkyjoe, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  14. Big0ne

Big0ne Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have answered on your own question in a title. Question is; can you handle "too" many sites.

Big0ne, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  15. hydra_606

hydra_606 Peon

Best Answers:
    Its all in what you can handle... if after ten sites you have trouble keeping focus and quality starts to suffer, then yes I would say that it is too many. Some people can handle more than others.

hydra_606, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  16. WindowsWebDevelopment

WindowsWebDevelopment Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I think that each site you have would take a lot of work and patience, so I feel like owning 100 sites with barely any attention to any of them would be a bad idea.

WindowsWebDevelopment, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  17. hostinghelp24

hostinghelp24 Banned

Best Answers:
    I think at a time only one website is better.

hostinghelp24, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  18. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you have enough time to ensure the quality, then it is not a problem, else better focus on only one or two website

lifeplayer, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  19. jasonxav

jasonxav Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on the niche of each site. If all are profitable, why not?

Too many sites require lots of time to update. Not a problem if you're going to hire someone to do the writing for you.

jasonxav, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  20. Tristan Lee

Tristan Lee Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi Dan Radhey,

You can definitely succeed by having 5, 10, or more websites, but you probably can do a lot better quality with 1 or 2 websites versus 10 websites with mediocre quality.

What I think you should do is start creating websites, and when pick the ones that make money for you while tossing the one's that don't. If your goal is to manage 10 or more websites, you have a great goal; a big one but a good one for multiple streams of income. Take it one step at a time and don't be afraid to fail; you'll find the the answer to if you want less websites or more websites when you go through the process of experimenting. Good luck.

Tristan Lee, Apr 26, 2009 IP