1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Joel Comm's 500 Words project

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Rod, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This post has noting to do with the Rich Jerk who uses envy as a marketing technique to sell his Adsense knowledge.

Rod, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Joel - people here are quick to share their honest opinion on things, good bad or otherwise.

GuyFromChicago, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  3. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Those of us who live in the free world can thankfully voice their thoughts! The same freedom that allows people to create these ideas, allows others the right to freedom od speech.

As far as I know no one is jealous, envious or anything else. As I said previously I applaud the marketing idea, I juat have a problem with all the hype, and also the ethics of it. To say 'lots of people have said how much they have made' simply compounds it.

As I come from a long term advertising background, I feel that ANY deal should have winners and winners. In good busines ethics there are no losers, and the people who buy the product should eb equally as happy as those who sold it.

The situation is clear, someone asked a question about this product, we replied, it was not an unprovoked attack, hell it wasn't even an attack, it was just honest replies to an honest question!

You can't please all of the people all of the time. simple as that!

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  4. talash

talash Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Guys,

I am the Co-developer of WordSiteBuilder script which has been mentioned in this post as an "alternative" script.

I just wanted to share my views on this matter.

Firstly, I do not see anything wrong if Joel has launched a new concept of 500words which let people buy a word on his website and pay him a fees. It is a cool new concept, which people liked! I am sure when a person is buying such a service, he knows what he is paying for and the value he is entitled to get from this service.

No doubt, there is a new wave of word sites as everyone wants to encash on the success that Joel achieved within few hours! Others may take time and many may even fail.

People who will improvise, plan how to benefit their customers, make the offer more value for money will win. The "craze" factor wont keep this wave alive for long!

Now, coming to the script, Joel is being able to sell the script so well because he has a goodwill and fan fllowing who will lov to pay him for what he offers. Frankly I personally do not think that the script should cost as much as $700. But I wont cal it a rip off because people who wish to buy from him, will continue to do so and they know what they are buying.

I have full respect for his venture. What I personally did not liked was that he is selling off the script owbnership within days of launch. Who is going to support the existing clients who have sky high expectations as they bought the software at a very high price?

BTW, our product WordSiteBuilder was launched before Linksizzler as we saw the pre-launch prices and felt that we can offer better value for money being a software company!

Regards
    Abhishek

talash, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  5. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rod, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  6. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think all these types of sites are complete bull-petoutie, BUT

my hats off to the guys peddling them. There are people stupid enough to buy links, someone is gonna stand up and take the money.If you are that person, who the hell cares how good an idea the site is, or how long it;ll last. Just collect.

but not to confuuse - I personally trhink they are crap, and wouldnt spend a cent on them

grobar, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  7. LinksAndTraffic

LinksAndTraffic Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but how much alexa rank will it have a year from now? It is a novelty, and the trick with good placement for advertising purposes should last longer than the 90-days of buzz this site is going to get.

LinksAndTraffic, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  8. LinksAndTraffic

LinksAndTraffic Peon

Best Answers:
    The rich jerk is anonymous.

LinksAndTraffic, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  9. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    Well DUH, that's how any business works.

Dekker, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  10. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, a good business offers win-win situations for all involved. Bad business benefit only one party and usually don't last long.

MattUK, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  11. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    Right, so every single clothing company out there is a bad business then :p Since it costs them a fraction of a cent to produce a t-shirt yet they go on retail for over 20 bucks!

Dekker, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  12. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Retail price is dertermined by supply and demand.

That's correct but when you add,
    +Transport
    +Landing taxes
    +Distributor margin
    +Retailer margin
    +Sales tax

That's where you get your $20 from

The manufacturer is obviously happy to produce at a low price as they're obviously making a profit or they'd pack up and stop producing. The end customer is happy to buy at $20 or they wouldn't buy the goods.

Like I said, any business where only one pary benefits is not good business, there are short term exceptions such as loss leaders, but in the long run a business won't survive or customers won't return. Good business benefits all parties involved.

MattUK, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  13. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    Good business is a symbiotic relationship where all parties are happy and get what they want out of the deal. ANY one sided business will have a massive churn rate and this means that acquisition costs go up, which is not good for profit.

Price is set by the market, price is NOT set by cost+ profit as that is not how a sensible business prices itself.

A business where one party 'wins' is poorly based. Too many salespeople think in this way, that it is a 'battle for the sale', when it isn't. If you can not in your heart say that convincing the customer to buy your product is what is best for THEM, then you should NOT sell it to them,, for if you do, then you are no better than a snake oil salesman from the wild west selling whisky & cocaine to the sick.

A PROFESSIONAL salesperson would NEVER sell a product to anyone that is not going to benefit them, because the moment you do, you stop being professional, and switch to selling for yourself. (of course we all sell for ourselves in as much as we are building a business, but I am talking here of making money AT THE EXPENSE OF OTHERS, which is a different thing entirely).

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 17, 2006 IP
    MattUK likes this.
  14. adsensediva

adsensediva Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is a free version of a very similar script available. I'm still trying to find that link though.

Joel, you know the link. Will you post it here for the community please?

adsensediva, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  15. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Someone else who developed such a script and he is selling it for $67.00.
    He was at one time a member of DP, but I have not seen him on here in ages.
    I do not have the link, as I deleted the email he sent me, as I am not interested in such a project.

The project itself is making money for a lot of people as I get emails everyday from people who have put up such a site.
    It does boil down to this, if you build such a site, you will make money providing you have a good mailing list, you promote the site heavily, and you take care of the site.

As an advertiser, I would probably at some point try this out just to see what comes of it.
    But not at an auction or at the high prices everyone wants for a word.

Really, this is just an extension of classified ads sites that began at the start of the net when businesses wanted advertising and people created classified ad sites to fill the need.

I for one would never bash Joel (I am on his mailing lists) or anyone else who comes up with a money maker.
    Unlike a few other so-called gurus on the net who just want to take your money, Joel is honest and he will help you succeed if you follow what he says, and if you ask for help, he is there for you.

iowadawg, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  16. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    Nice post Iowadawg, maybe I have been a little harsh on Joel ;)

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  17. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joel now has the www.499sites.com site going that attempts to lure punters who wish to buy link phrases. It's not doing as well as his 500 words project, but it just goes to show that someone with a good mailing list and high credability could sell ice to the eskimoes.

I trust for Joel's sake, that he is not wearing his good name too thin. That would be a great pity.

Rod, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  18. softstor

softstor Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was surprised to hear that people are willing to place links on a new site that has a PR0. So I thought I would give it a try.

I just purchased a simillar script and targeted it specificially towards Arcade Webmasters. The site is located at http://www.arcade.text-link-traffic.com/

On the very first day I sold more than 1/3 of the keywords that I created. So I can say that this idea does work.

softstor, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  19. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And how much benefit are your link buyers finding. I don't have a problem with people saying that they can sell it, I just have a problem with people getting ripped off.

MattUK, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  20. softstor

softstor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Since my site is only two days old I really can not say. But according to the stats on the site, the users are getting clicks.

After the search engines spider the site they will get one additional backlink.

Unlike other services, I am selling the basic link for $1

softstor, Jul 21, 2006 IP