1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Automated vs. Manual

Discussion in 'Directories' started by epithet, Jul 15, 2006.

hello everyone!

I am assigned to be the team leader of a group assigned to submit the sites of our new client to to directories. Although it was not directly stated, I suppose the client wanted us to do automated directory submission because he thinks that the smater thing to do. As I was working on it, the software he gave us can not submit to directories that require codes -- must be some robots installed. These ones are also good directories because as far as their PR is concerned, it's very high.

Which is really better -- automated directory submission or manual submission?

epithet, Jul 15, 2006 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Definately go for the manual submission option.

pipes, Jul 15, 2006 IP
  3. Jufcy8200

Jufcy8200 Banned

Best Answers:
    manual. /thread

Jufcy8200, Jul 15, 2006 IP
  4. Art

Art Peon

Best Answers:
    Automated if it's a good enough submitter and the source directories all use the same structure. Time is the most precious commodity, we all have it, but people like squandering it.

Directory submission is a limited link building source - once you've used it, you often can't go back to amend things. Treat it like this and use other more easily syndicated methods to build links as well.

Art, Jul 16, 2006 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  5. Absolutus

Absolutus Peon

Best Answers:
    Manual, I'm a directory owner and when I find a site submitted by an automated software I don't approve.
    I think other directory owners make the same.

Absolutus, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  6. sizzler_chetan

sizzler_chetan Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely manual.

@ Absolutus - How would u find whether it is automated or manual?

I have 15 Directories but till today did not find which is automatically submitted and which manually :)

sizzler_chetan, Jul 16, 2006 IP
    pctec likes this.
  7. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Manual eliminates mistakes and rises the aproval procent .
    Yes i agree but with only webdirectory submissions i reached some good positions in google serps and a very good link popularity
    Regards

w3bmaster, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  8. Absolutus

Absolutus Peon

Best Answers:
    I use some methods:
    Check the logs if I see increment in submissions.
    Check for multiple submission with the same ip.
    Check for the same email for multiple submisions(some are legit is easy to check).
    Check for user agent.
    If is a duplicate submission I delete as most time is from automated.
    Wrong category.
    plus other methods.

To explain gambilng sites most times submit to the first category generally business, so if these site don't check the right category probably because are using some software to submit.

Absolutus, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  9. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can speed up manual submissions by preparing everything in advance, and using an automatic form-filler. Manual is definitely the way to go if you want a high acceptance rate from directories.

But that isn't all there is to getting accepted, you also need to write a decent, unspammy description and title. It just seems that a much higher proportion of rubbish submissions are done with automatic software. It's the corner-cutting mentality that is the problem, because in theory it should be possible to come up with decent submission text that satisfies most directories' criteria, even with automatic submission software. I've just never seen it done.

Obelia, Jul 16, 2006 IP
    pctec likes this.
  10. LazySEO

LazySEO Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course, I'm biased, but I would think that automatic submission would cut down on a lot of typos, spelling errors, or just plain omissions. Once the site is loaded into the software, it's impossible to submit it wrong.

I know I have a bad habit of forgetting to change the category when submitting several sites to a PHPLD directory one after another. That's nearly impossible to do with a good auto-submitter.

LazySEO, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  11. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    It comes down to time (doesn't it always) :)
    There's absolutely no reason not to use auto-submission, provided it works from previously profiled directories, and can properly manage category allocation.

You will never have a one size fits all scenario. There are some submission softwares out there you can buy which already have 100s of directories profiled - they're the best to use if you want to successfully automate.

If you don't care and are happy with a scattergun approach, any old submission software will do.

It's entirely up to you. Just remember, submission is only part of the picture :)

john_loch, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  12. epithet

epithet Peon

Best Answers:
    I have this software that is on automatic form-filler, but it's useless on directories that has captcha.

epithet, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  13. angelfire

angelfire Peon

Best Answers:
    It is true that manual submission is time consuming but I still suggest that you do the directory submission manually.
    As you said there are directories requiring a confirmation codes or images and by doing it manually you can actually select the right directory for your site.

angelfire, Jul 17, 2006 IP
    pctec likes this.
  14. temp_12000

temp_12000 Peon

Best Answers:
    many people think auto submission can not select the correct category. this is not always correct. at least, I know a software can select category correctly, just like manual selection. also, auto submission can eliminate the typo problem. the best advantage of auto submission is: save time.

Also, usually, Auto submission is much cheaper.

temp

temp_12000, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  15. gretel

gretel Guest

Best Answers:
    Manual is always best way,because with automated there may be some info missing for some fields.

gretel, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  16. sizzler_chetan

sizzler_chetan Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    See these are the mistakes you do :

i Have 12 websites submitted from same IP manually by myself into the same category and from the same EMail provided.

So do you delete them if u see the same IP?
    This would be wrong totally.

sizzler_chetan, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  17. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    would go for manual only
    automated submission wont work with the verification code.

forumrating, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  18. Absolutus

Absolutus Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends I check multiples factors not only the duplicates ip
    and duplicate emails.
    In the situations you described if the submissions are in the same day an addititional factor is the email provider if is a free provider generally used from spammer I delete the sites without checking.
    If the email is from a site domain I check one of the submitted site, If the site is legit I check the others otherways I delete all without checking.

When you receive over 100 submission daily is better delete by mistake some legit sites that don't approve any legit sites because you have 500 spam sites in the queque.

Absolutus, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  19. Nerz

Nerz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think software like directorysubmitter.com, makes a good comprimise. Its not really automated, all it does is allow you to bring directory sites up more quickly and it has automated form filler to cut down typing. You still have to select the correct category manually, and you still have to put input any security code necessary - captcha code. It just saves load time and typing.

You can probably submit to 4 or 5 directories a minute using this method.

Nerz, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  20. epithet

epithet Peon

Best Answers:
    If there is such thing that will work with directories with or without captcha that would be best but is there such thing as that?

Other than that, I think I will opt for a mix manual and automated submission.

How's that guys? Will that save me time too?

epithet, Jul 18, 2006 IP