1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is SEO Too old, People are emphasizing more on SMO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by monishka, Apr 21, 2009.

Hello
    I am new to SEO profession, since I have started I am not getting the results for my sites.
    While I talk to few of my friends, they are saying do more Social media optimization.
    That will bring traffic.
    Here I wanted to check if that is correct, shall we emphasize more on Social media then search engines?
    Please help

monishka, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  2. webrecsol

webrecsol Peon

Best Answers:
    hello monishka, your friends right told you that social media is a good way of increase website traffic and top visitor..so you can start this...

webrecsol, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  3. Defcon1Media

Defcon1Media Active Member

Best Answers:
    check out my thread in this seo forum called "My site has been up for 2 months now, How well do you think I am doing with seo?"

I listed my techniques. I started learning SEO 2 months ago.

Defcon1Media, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  4. mpls-web-design

mpls-web-design Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SEO brings more target traffic. You are attracting people who are searching for your products, services or whatever you have to offer. Social media can get you traffic if you get it done right. However, traffic doesn't mean sales or revenue if it is worthless. Marketing is about finding your prospects and convince them to be your customers. Social media is not a good marketing venue unless you are selling some very generic products like a soft drink.

SEO is still the way to go to find quality traffic. SEO has been around for a very short period. It is still in its infancy.

mpls-web-design, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  5. Dillmando

Dillmando Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I agree with mpls web design, the traffic from search engines is much better then traffic from stumble, twitter and sites like that.

Dillmando, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  6. Chancey

Chancey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SEO is always better because they are bring in the most targeted visitors to your site.

Chancey, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  7. the writer

the writer Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you need a combination of both. No one has mentioned Twitter, but once I started having my blog posts automatically show up there, it increased my readership.

the writer, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  8. dofollowking

dofollowking Peon

Best Answers:
    both is good if you are skilled in either. if you aren't of course you won't see results. hit me up if you need help.

dofollowking, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  9. brianconor

brianconor Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO Is never going to be old, although you will need to get updated with your seo knowledge to make it work for you.
    Now regarding SMO. It is gaining a lot of popularity latelly and yes it needs to be done in a right way. Here you need to first make relationships and you can get some rewards. But i think SEO is more about targeted traffic. So it really depends upon your niche and websites, what will be best suited for you or the best bet is to use both in combination.

brianconor, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  10. RifqiAF

RifqiAF Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm doing both of them...SEO is more much more complicated than social media...but it really gives much better result than social media in conversion rates...social media traffic is harder to convert especially when it comes to affiliate products...

RifqiAF, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  11. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If I had to choose between the two, I would easily prefer SEO over SMO as the traffic from search is more organic and would offer greater chances of revenue generation.

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  12. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My observations are as follows:

Social media bookmarking brings you traffic, so it's a good way to get immediate visitiors. But typically it doesn't help much with rankings unless you have some really viral, explosive piece of content that once promoted on social media sites can take on a life of it's own. In that case, the site WILL likely get lots of backlinks which will in turn improve their rankings. But for every 1,000,000 SM posts, I'd venture to say maybe 1 or 2 might lead to this viral effect. Most bring a few visitors per day and then eventually trail off to almost nothing.

Also, if you use social media as the main way of promoting your site, you have to continue to do it ongoing just to maintain your current traffic levels. Over time as your links roll off the top level, visible pages of the soical media sites they lose their effectiveness.

SEO efforts on the other hand can lead to long term self maintaining wins. They do effect your rankings which is how it typically brings you traffic. If you build a solid backlink profile for a URL its effects (traffic and rankings) will typically last much longer... that is as long as you get 'good' one way backlinks from 'real' web sites... not blog comments, not article submissions, not forum signatures, etc. which much like social media bookmarking have short lived effects and require repeatedly doing them just to maintain the same results. I'm talking about real 'natural' links where other sites are endorsing your site freely because they see you as the authority on your topic or see your content as being valuable to their visitors...

I don't think SMO will every replace SEO. They have different purposes... different results... SEO done correctly is relatively immune to most algo changes at Google and other search engines. SMO as it becomes more and more abused by spammers is likely to be the target of more and more algo changes at Google and other engines which will eventually render them as useless as most comment spamming, directory submissions, and the like.

Canonical, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  13. keyz

keyz Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it definitely depends on the type of website. I've never had much success with social media converting into sales. For my purposes, you just can't beat SEO. Just the other day, I received a huge social media traffic spike, but the traffic was rather worthless because it didn't convert and it mostly bounced. Again, I attribute this to the type of website I run.

All to say, it depends. But it seems that generally SEO will give you targeted traffic that will convert if you do it right.

keyz, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  14. kiduka

kiduka Peon

Best Answers:
    Well it depends entirely upon your site and what product or service your promoting. If it's sign up leads then social media traffic will serve you well but if your trying to sell a product your best bet would be to optimize your website for search engine traffic or if you got money you can go the PPC route.

kiduka, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  15. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think that you should emphasize more on Social media then on SEO. Focus on developing multiple sources of traffic.

Social media can provide targeted advertising, and can be a source of targeted traffic. But, by focusing on search engine optimization you will be bringing in generic traffic. There needs to be a balance between your traffic sources. Just in case one dries up, the other sources can continue to provide some kind of traffic to your site.

Lets say that you get most of your traffic from DIGG. And one day DIGG bans your account and removes all your bookmarked pages. There goes all your traffic.

Social media is good, but I dont think that its better, or greater then good ole fashioned SEO.

~kev~, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  16. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    top social media sites get more searches than google or yahoo. just youtube itself gets more searches than giant google itself so social media marketing can be very profitable if done right. search engine traffic and social media traffic are 2 different traffic sources and have their own nature. i just think that search engine traffic is more targeted and better converting for most categories. social media people use the social media sites for pleasure and networking and not looking to buy anything in specific so depending on your niche, you might have a lot of visitor form social media sites and not get any sell. it all depends actually. i would not suggest picking one above another and still believe that SEO should be primary focus and social media marketing should be secondary to drive additional traffic

sultanofseo, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  17. monishka

monishka Peon

Best Answers:
    Kev
    I think you are right. I will go with your suggestion.

monishka, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  18. mortgageloan

mortgageloan Peon

Best Answers:
    social media is not a substitute for SEO...it should be used additionally..coz its very effective..

mortgageloan, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  19. Farmer77

Farmer77 Peon

Best Answers:
    SMO doesn't work for everything. Let's say you are focusing on rabbit cages. Now how are you going to use social media with rabbit cages? Rabbit cages on twitter? Pictures of nice looking rabbit cages submitted to Digg? Start a rabbit cages group on Facebook? It's going to look like very obvious marketing and turn potential customers off. SMO is good for traffic, and would be ideal for a news or celebrity rumor site that earns money from page impressions. SEO is better for sites with affiliate links and PPC ads.

Farmer77, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  20. seo-neon

seo-neon Peon

Best Answers:
    When focusing on Social media you only bring in the traffic, but if you do SEO you get both traffic and rankings.

seo-neon, Apr 22, 2009 IP