1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR not high priority for me anymore

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mcdwgbiz, Apr 20, 2009.

My main goal is to get more traffic, and after reading about PR and SERPS I have come to realize it doesn't matter if I have a PR 0 site but if I have enough backlinks from related unique content then I could do better than any site with better PR than mine.

I see a lot of people getting worried about PR and even buying backlinks with high PR and I don't see how that can benefit someone's site unless it's to sell backlinks to low PR sites once theirs is updated but as far as traffic goes I don't see PR being a determining factor in getting up in the SERPS.

Am I somewhat correct or am I lost in the sauce?

Ruben

mcdwgbiz, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  2. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is true that PR is not the deciding factor in rankings. You don't need to be too concerned with your own pr unless you are selling links. You should still be trying to get high pr links though. A higher pr link usually will help serp's much more than a low pr link. Of course relevancy of the link plays a big factor too.

vansterdam, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  3. kiduka

kiduka Peon

Best Answers:
    PR will only serve you well if you're trying to sell links on your site or if you want to trade links with other high pr sites. When it comes to traffic it has no influence whatsoever

kiduka, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  4. onlinetreason

onlinetreason Peon

Best Answers:
    It does nothing! I have a PR 4 blog and it has never helped my blogs traffic.

onlinetreason, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  5. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    This is exactly right. However, you'll find that your PR will rise a lot if you gt back links from related unique content. ;)

freelistfool, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  6. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @Ruben: You are partially right. I agree that PR is not the only factor determining SERPS. Otherwise google with PR10 should rank for almost all keywords that we know. However, I wouldn't advice you to ignore PR completely.

jitendraag, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  7. bterrill

bterrill Peon

Best Answers:
    This is from my experience with the last 3years. PR does not play much of a factor in your SERP results unless all other factors are almost equal. If your.com and that.com have about the same about of SEO kw density and meta/title and such then your page PR will come in to play as will your domain name age and other small contributing factors.

Backlinks, while good, are also not required (in mass) to get high serps, but they are required for high PR.

I have been SEOing one of my commerce sites for 3 years now and I rank #1-3 in every major engine for over 100 keywords even beating the software developer's website (their pr 8, domain is aged from 1996) mine is PR2 (has been for 2 years) and is only from 2005.

With the last PR release to the toolbar not too long ago I'm still stuck at PR2 yet I still domainte every engine serp on any and most all keywords, even ones people pay $1.50 a click for in sponsoreds, and it's all organic.

Let me also add, that we used to spend 3k a month in google adwords to get our sales, but now we do not even pay for adwords because our organic traffic is that big and our PR is horrible so definitly don't make it your priority. I will say you should definitly get PR2 though, because I do not think google displays sitemap suburls in search for low PR pages and the smap links look nice.

bterrill, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  8. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PR is a measurement tool for whether Google sees value in your site. That simple.

Do a search on any keyword phrase. Then view the PR for the top 10 sites? Why are they not all exactly the same. Why are some lower PR sites outranking higher PR sites.

Because PR is NOT an indication of rank. It's more an indicator of weather Google finds value in your site.

internetmarketingiq, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  9. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    People who are actively focusing to get serious traffic, have never bothered to see their site through a PR glass.

PR has been important to people who are just in the business of link selling. Many high ranked PR sites have very insignificant traffic and are ranked poorly in serps.

PR is nothing but a lot of hype with no real benefit. Google has maintained its relevance with backlinks importance. Once they drop this criteria, even they are aware that nobody would bother for their PR rankings! :eek: :rolleyes:

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  10. kutekutta

kutekutta Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you all. PR not playing a big role in SEO and wouldn't avoid completely.

We need traffic so concern about your SERP, Content and backlinks only.

kutekutta, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  11. seohelp

seohelp Peon

Best Answers:
    PR is a good method for measuring importance of web page and it does not play any role in ranking for getting traffic.

seohelp, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  12. mrandrei

mrandrei Peon

Best Answers:
    PR isn't also my priority. At the end of the day, google ranking is still the thing that matters most. There are many high PR sites out there, but have little traffic.

mrandrei, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  13. verticity

verticity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes the traffic is main thing

verticity, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  14. JessieJames27

JessieJames27 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If PR is a factor in ranking (however small) how can it not affect ranking? It's just one of many ingredients, but it's still an ingredient. What matter most is the traffic that will convert.

JessieJames27, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  15. gethighranks1

gethighranks1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya PR is not important for SERPS.Improving traffic is the matter.But getting PR is like a brand name.

gethighranks1, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  16. SuperDennis

SuperDennis Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, but what are other most important ingredients besides PR and backlinks? Also, as I know you shouldn't build backlinks too fast, even if that is actually good links from unique content etc. Does anyone have an idea of how many links would be good not to fall into search engines' ban lists?

SuperDennis, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  17. ltimranjaved

ltimranjaved Peon

Best Answers:
    ban lists for engines varies,you can check for ur key words related sites in search results and then check their links

ltimranjaved, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  18. Chancey

Chancey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A high pr link will get you a better SERP.

Chancey, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  19. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't worry about my own PR but I do use it as a guide for seeking links from other sites. Even then, it is only a guide. If I have a choice of getting a link from a PR3 site that is well written and on the topic of my website, I'll take that link any day over a PR5 site that is on a general topic.

In the long run, I just believe that a link from the first site will be more valuable in building traffic (including search engine traffic) than a link from the second site.

Business Attorney, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  20. mcdwgbiz

mcdwgbiz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone for your replies, I see I wasn't off track too much. I do understand PR should not be taken off completely anyone's focus since it's seen mostly as a branding tool where more sites will want to link to it.

mcdwgbiz, Apr 21, 2009 IP