1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do Not Submit To Directories!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by kbeus21, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Hudu

Hudu Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally havent been thinking so much. I have just submitted my sites in every directory i have founded, exept link exchange directorys. I have heard Google thinks that those sites are bad for your site. I dont really know is it true :)

Hudu, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  2. miskecf

miskecf Peon

Best Answers:
    I've also submitted as much as i could, dont see anything wrong with that.

miskecf, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  3. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    kbeus21, i guess theres one thing that you have learned from this thread.

Dis the directories and you turn red :)

It wasn't the smartest place to post the thread. :p

pipes, Apr 17, 2009 IP
    snowbird likes this.
  4. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    There are good and bad directories out there. If you submit to the good directories your site will rise in the serps. If you submit to the bad directories your site will stay in the same place. So you can either submit to every directory you find or do some research to find good directories before submitting.

If you are an individual submitting for your own site I'd just plow through one of the many directory lists out there. If you run a link building service it would probably benefit you to do the research so your clients get the most bang for their buck.

freelistfool, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  5. JamesB

JamesB Peon

Best Answers:
    I love these threads saying directories are bad. I see them from time to time with people saying don't submit to directories. I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert for one second but this is what I have found.

When I set up a new site I submit it to a few of my directories that I own. Within a matter of days its submitted to Google and other search engines. They crawl my sites and then crawl the links. So all these people on Ebay saying they submit your site to 100s of search engines for x amount of ££ or $$ well draw your own conclusion.

Sometimes in fact a lot of the time people don't even submit a real email address to the directories I own or a description of their site. These people can get lost. what's the point of me putting your link on my site with no description. You expect people just to click to see what's there? Maybe some people have no links as other directory owners do the same as me and bin the links. I got enough crap on my directories so a little less helps. And before you all say "but I put a description on" this is not aimed at any one on here!

Sometimes big companies like Tesco, The Sun news paper and a few more I really cant remember at the moment submit links to the directories I own. OK I doubt that Mr Tesco or Mr Sun do it themselves but someone within their marketing and SEO thinks that its OK.

This brings me onto the SEO boys and girls who do that for a living. I often get repeated paid for submissions by these guys to my directories. So if its good enough for them its good enough for me. I'm sure if it was a total waste of time and money they would not bother.

I have a travel site that just a couple of weeks ago I decided to try and get some PR on it then sell it on. Since submitting to a few directories the site has been getting more traffic and actually started making some earnings.

A new Blog that I set up about a month ago gained PR at the last update. Who gives a dam about PR I can hear some people say. I do. If your trying to sell sites on people spend more on them when they have PR. Obviously they need traffic as well but as an overall package its just better in my book.

So to sum up if you don't want to submit your sites to directories because you think its a waste of time why don't you do some research yourself. Buy a $0.99 domain from Go Daddy and build a mini site around it. Submit it to some directories every day and see what happens. You don't have to spend hours each day just build some links. In six months time see what the site is doing. Does it have visitors, does it have PR? if it does sell it. I bet you get a lot more than $0.99

Oh and I wont get into the benefits of owning a directory. Not only do people pay you to link to them but your getting lots of other useful info. New site trends is just one of them. Plus each time a site is submited an auto email goes back to that person. Another one is sent when approved. I'm getting over a 1000 submissions per day. That's on my entire directory portfolio. Imagine what you can do with all those contacts. I'm only just starting to realise the benefit of these emails.

Thats my insight into directories.

James

JamesB, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  6. RadioBounce

RadioBounce Banned

Best Answers:
    Doubt it :S

RadioBounce, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  7. seobeginner

seobeginner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    exactly, its irritating people dont realise this

why do you think you never see services that ban competitors sites for you?

seobeginner, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  8. mash240

mash240 Active Member

Best Answers:
    A link is a link aint it?

mash240, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  9. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yea its like the dumb*ss chick that jumped in the polar bear habitat
    at the zoo and wondered why she got attacked :rolleyes:

Personally sounds like someone has had there sites rejected alot...

laterz
    malcolm

malcolm1, Apr 17, 2009 IP
    pipes likes this.
  10. BigGuy

BigGuy Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't done a scientific analysis but I've seen value even when the directories I've submitted to don't show up in the backlinks it seems to make a difference in some key word results.

BigGuy, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  11. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nearly two full pages of comments upon this thread and the OP is nowhere to be found....

An obvious attempt to post something inflamatory in a place where the most people would take offense and yet here we all are posting in the thread and somehow validating the claim through denials.....

Why not let it die the quick death all nonsensical threads like this deserve?

swedal, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  12. usergame

usergame Banned

Best Answers:
    Directory submission works well to me, i submitted my website to many directories once i uploaded it and i got indexed in google after 2 or 3 days from the submission process, and it kept going.

usergame, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  13. OnlineBizzer

OnlineBizzer Peon

Best Answers:
    I was thinking about buying a manual directory submission package for my one and only website. Maybe not anymore...

OnlineBizzer, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  14. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Starting a thread with a title like that in the Directories forum is probably not a very good idea. Submitting to penalized directories or directories with little to no indexed pages in Google is certainly not a brilliant idea but otherwise I can't see how a couple more backlinks with a decent anchor text could hurt your site. Directory submissions is still a good way to diversify your link profile. If you don't forget that directory submissions is not the only link building technique you will be doing fine in any niche.

zexy, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  15. arrisweb

arrisweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a good experience with directories. Getting some links to websites. Sometimes very quickly within few hours. I don't get it the thread starter he said about new trend to not submitting to directories......

arrisweb, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  16. astounded

astounded Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are a tonne of REALLY crappy directories, which are of little, no use or possibly even have a negative impact on your seo endevours. Stick to the recognised directories, the old ones, the known ones.

astounded, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  17. hotftuna

hotftuna Active Member

Best Answers:
    Directories good or bad?

Let me share a SEO secret of mine that has made me successful-

Imagine yourself as a SE algo engineer. What would you look for to evaluate a site for importance. How many important sites are there that do not appear in good directories? There may be some but the point is that good sites with strong content are listed in good directories.

This does not mean that you must be in thousands of directories. See were your competition is listed. Why would you not want to be there too?

hotftuna, Apr 18, 2009 IP
    pipes likes this.
  18. chpshah

chpshah Banned

Best Answers:
    I have also same experiences, I have submit my sites to 300 directories before 5-6 months. And yet waiting for a single backlink from them.

chpshah, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  19. MudiW

MudiW Banned

Best Answers:
    Agree with you.

So if the topic starter is right, then let's put google in every bad directory. LoL

MudiW, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  20. nik-pwns

nik-pwns Peon

Best Answers:
    any publicity is good publicity?

nik-pwns, Apr 18, 2009 IP