Does traffic helps serps?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by campolar, Apr 18, 2009.

The title's my question...If a site has low traffic, will it be listed low in serps, and a site with high traffic, will it stay up high in serps?

campolar, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  2. GMBRDILOS

GMBRDILOS Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the traffic doesnt play a role in SERPs. The main factor to promote a site in SERPs is onpage and offpage optimisations.

GMBRDILOS, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  3. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its actually a deep question
    I could imagine that G and may be other SE have one popularity factor originating from popularity of a particular page
    specially with G toolbar installed, G is able to see what page is loaded and how long a visitor stays on that page = thus resulting in a feedback on customer satisfaction FROM that page.

I have never heard an official documentation on that topic
    \but Google=s efforts to IMPROVE SERPS on real quality factors rather than depending on webmasters' cheating techniques would make such influence plausible.
    if not now then any time in the future

the "voting" up or down system Google has on its result pages may suggest that G is working on getting surfers feedback to influence SERPS.

if no one links to your page, no blog talks about your site or page, no one clicks on your SE results
    then apparently your site appears of inferior value to global audience and ultimately to G as well.
    SE live from happy surfers only! happy surfers create happy web publsihers.

hans, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  4. ruchiseo

ruchiseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes i feel in my career yes along with on-page and off-page optimization sometime traffic also matters and helps to improve of your ranking

ruchiseo, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  5. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Whilst I agree with hans, that in the 200 factors that makes up the algorithm google may use whatever metrics it has at hand to determine traffic as a small balancing factor, in real terms, it doesn't work like that. The cause and effect is the other way round - a site that's high in serps will get higher (search engine) traffic than one low in serps.
    (Of course, there are sites that gets loads of traffic through sources other than search engines.)

magda, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  6. Bear Grylls

Bear Grylls Banned

Best Answers:
    Nope.. SERP's can effect traffic but Traffic don't effect SERP's.

Bear Grylls, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  7. praetserge

praetserge Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't be surprised if traffic affected SERP.
    I think what's more important though is returning visitors, as I doubt you would like to visit a useless website second or third time.
    Also there's voting so I'm pretty certain G and Y use this information to improve search results.

praetserge, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  8. AlbertMARKET

AlbertMARKET Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think so generally, but the point to get good SERPs is to get good traffic.

AlbertMARKET, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  9. tentwenty

tentwenty Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it may matter in the more competitive Keywords.

I recently opened a blog which ranked well for more simple keywords.

tentwenty, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  10. jenny1985

jenny1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    nope traffic play no part in google ranking of sites.

Otherwise we would all be sending millions of fake visits to sites and it would just be a huge spam fest

jenny1985, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  11. prospects

prospects Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I actualy think traffic does play a role in SERPS, but I can't be sure of it. Can anyone here prove that Google don't use usage stats from their toolbar as one variable in calculating the SERPS? I am not talking about site visits alone, but combined with bounce rate stats.

prospects, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  12. jenny1985

jenny1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    Its something that we know Google are looking at but at the moment they need better ways of determining which are spam/bot vists etc..

They have so much data through Google Anylitics that it would be foolish to think it was a high ranking factor at the moment as its so easy to spam the system

I could easily buy a nice aged site and pay people here $1 for each visit over 2 mins long and also buy fake traffic etc.. Look at the way people spam alexa rank(why i dont know)

jenny1985, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  13. kiduka

kiduka Peon

Best Answers:
    I've heard the number of clicks a site receives has a small influence on SERPS.

kiduka, Apr 18, 2009 IP
  14. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Sites with high traffic are already ranking high in SERP. So you're question is a little bit strange :)
    Google won't admit it but I believe if you have a low bounce rate and Google Analytics, it could help in SERP.

zexy, Apr 18, 2009 IP
    jenny1985 likes this.