1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Improve my writing

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by My220x, Apr 15, 2009.

Hi,

I am looking to improve my writing skills so I can write better articles, does anyone have any free ebooks or website they know off which may be of benefit?

My220x, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  2. soul_of_god

soul_of_god Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    soul_of_god, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  3. My220x

My220x Member

Best Answers:
    Short but sweet, thanks for the link.

Anymore links guys?

My220x, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  4. soul_of_god

Best Answers:
    Thanks dude:)

soul_of_god, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  5. Rogem

Rogem Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice link ;)

I suggest getting others to proof read your work, then learning from mistakes they point out.

Rogem, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  6. jonasrenfold

jonasrenfold Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My suggestion is to read, read, read. Read voraciously every single day. Always have a book with you, whether you're waiting at the doctor's office for your appointment, or you're taking your lunchbreak at McDonalds. Writing well is just like learning a foreign language - the more time you spend immersed in the environment - namely, books - the more fluent you'll be.

Also, you should probably write a fair bit. :D

jonasrenfold, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  7. morwanneg

morwanneg Peon

Best Answers:
    If you really want to improve your writing, i suggest you purchase this Strunk and White stylebook: The Elements of Style. We writers, consider it as a valuable tool we always bring with us. Aside from the cheap stylebook, you may also want to read and study your favorite writer's writing style and try to mix it with your own style of writing.

morwanneg, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  8. sarah_harvey

sarah_harvey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, I am going to be honest here. You can read books that will help improve your english for article writing and they will help to a large degree. Just search for some great books on amazon and see what people say about them. If you want your writing to be better than the average person then join a roleplaying forum. This will ultimately lead to being a better writer who understands characters, thought, perspective, grammar, etc.

Enjoy your day!

sarah_harvey, Apr 16, 2009 IP
  9. usergame

usergame Banned

Best Answers:
    I'll give you an advice that always work with me not only on marketing, but in every business aspect.
    Do research first for anything you want to do on Google or Yahoo or whatever search engine.
    By doing research it will bring you some excellent knowledge base, and will get you more comprehensive and open minded than only one resource...

usergame, Apr 19, 2009 IP
  10. ceemage

ceemage Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd find your advice more convincing if the English in the article was, well, a bit more idiomatic. Yes, there are a few grammatical mistakes, but (more significantly) the whole tone of the piece shows that it's clearly written by a non-native speaker of English. Not that you'll probably ever read this now that you've been banned.

(Oh, and since Muphry's Law will undoubtedly apply to this post, I'd better stop here.)

ceemage, Apr 19, 2009 IP
  11. xInd

xInd Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    A good way is to take on some article writing work, but be honest and let them know you're working on your skills and are hoping for help. I'd be more than happy to take you under my wing, get you writing and teach you. Sometimes the best way is to have somebody slash apart your writing, show you what they would do differently and discuss it. Once you've done that enough you end up learning all the little tidbits. I'm also writing a course right now that would help with that, although it's not directed specifically at writing.
    Are you currently just writing content for your own sites, or are you writing articles for money for others?

xInd, Apr 20, 2009 IP
  12. peejaydee

peejaydee Peon

Best Answers:
    peejaydee, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  13. Diegan

Diegan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank's peejaydee!

Diegan, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  14. kolours

kolours Peon

Best Answers:
    I add short stories in my content, and feel that it even works for target audiences. But yes! search and analysis of your niche is important. Read newspapers as much as possible, write short articles daily, to test your vocabulary, and be creative with your efforts. You can definitely improve your writing. All the best! :)

kolours, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  15. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I second that one! Storytelling is a powerful approach and if the story is relevant to the people you're targeting and they identify themselves with the protagonist of your story, voila, you've got them on the hook...

turbulence, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  16. Mindcracking

Mindcracking Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest, download a writing template, write down your article and get a friend to revieuw it. If it's good, try make inother one. And ones you practised alot go for the cash :)

Mindcracking, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  17. enhu

enhu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for those tips. I'm also trying improving my writing skills, have to earn by rewriting simple article.
    The other blog that that i have is totally messed up with wrong grammar. lol

enhu, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  18. xpertgeeks

xpertgeeks Guest

Best Answers:
    I would simply write, write, write, and write some more... it really is all about practice. Reading books also would help a good deal to figure out proper technique.

xpertgeeks, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  19. soul_of_god

Best Answers:
    Yes My native language isn't English nor I grow up in English country. Last One year i am living in NY, and I am going To college :)

soul_of_god, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  20. emtuesday

emtuesday Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd advice you to google something like "effective article writing". There are many links that may help you. Besides, a good idea is to read a lot, but not necessarily books. You should read blogs and articles written by native speakers. Then your sentences will have an appropriate structure and wording, and the whole speech will become more fluent and authentic.

emtuesday, Apr 30, 2009 IP