1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Duplicated directory listings -- breaching copyright or not

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by prospects, Apr 9, 2009.

I have a directory listings site. Another site has recently appeared which lists exactly the same companies as I do on my site. For each company they give similar details, but the details are not always identical. Is there anything I can do about this? They could have compiled all their information indepently I guess, but it is more likely they stole it from me!
    Could anyone tell me what are my options please?
    The website which has the copied listings appears to be run through some offshore company based in Panama, they have a domain name registered a couple of years ago, shortly after I registered mine but I know they have only just developed it into a site.
    Thanks for any help you can give.

prospects, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  2. prospects

prospects Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Moderators. due to a problem with the DP forum I accidentally submitted this thread twice. Please delete one of them. Thanks.

3. Nonny

Nonny Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Moderators don't read every thread, so they probably won't see this. You need to click the red triangle with the ! in the middle and request to have the duplicate deleted.

Nonny, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  4. druidelder

druidelder Peon

Best Answers:
    It really depends on what is in the listings and who created it. For example, if the only thing you had was URLs and categories then there would be nothing illegal about what they have done (look up the feist publications lawsuit).

If there is an additional descriptor of the site, then you would only be able to do somethig if you created the additional text. If the text was generated by user submission, then you do not own the copyright and therefore have no standing to do anything about it.

There is copyright for databases, but only if the database is set up in a unique way. Most directories I have seen display info in much the same manner.

It sucks, but there isn't really anything you can do from a legal action perspective. You could try to threaten them and see if they give, but if they don't there isn't anything beyond the threat.

druidelder, Apr 9, 2009 IP
    prospects likes this.
  5. prospects

prospects Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Druidelder, I looked up the case you mentioned. Thanks that is really useful. Guess I am pretty screwed. :(