1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PAYPAL (mods please don't move)

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by CollyMellon, Apr 9, 2009.

I have used PayPal for years and years accepting payments for contests on here and other sites. Today my PayPal account has been banned for accepting a payment from a contest in here - I had to send them proof my recent payments recieved wasn't gambling related so I sent them threads on here indicating the contests I have won and they proceeded to tell me it was against PayPal T&Cs and permantly limited my account.

I'm never using PayPal again, what a joke I've accepted $$$$s in payment from contests in the past. It's a shame more people on here don't offer Google checkout as a payment method.

CollyMellon, Apr 9, 2009 IP
    l3fty likes this.
  2. mjmurphy53711

mjmurphy53711 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's really unfortunate, did they say what against the T and C's for accepting contest payments?

I mean, are they claiming freelancing payments in general are not allowed???

mjmurphy53711, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  3. WhiteCloud

WhiteCloud Peon

Best Answers:
    WhiteCloud, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  4. Ghefly

Ghefly Peon

Best Answers:
    hmm, some sort of virus?:

Ghefly, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  5. alex.ohc

alex.ohc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    oh. i never heard of such incident before. :(

alex.ohc, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  6. CollyMellon

CollyMellon Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the payments was for an adult related logo but I've accepted loads of payments for 18+ types of designs in the past without any problems. Reading back through the emails from them it does appear it is adult related stuff you cannot use your account for to accept payments.

Just a warning to designers in here for future reference, I will never PayPal again they have taken $$$s in fees off me in the last 12 months so I am quite bitter about this.

CollyMellon, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  7. Ghefly

Ghefly Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a shame, because there isn't anything else you can use is there?

Ghefly, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  8. a4hire

a4hire Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can use moneybookers

a4hire, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  9. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    big compaines have rules for a reason...they will not bend for you just because you think so...
    everything is in their TOS, people just choose not to read TOS'es as they should...you got
    booted because you violated their rules and finally got caught, if you had read their TOS
    from the start, would you have been holding contests? of course not...and this thread
    probably had nothing to do with it..you probably noted in paypal on payment that this
    was a payment for a contest...otherwise, how would they really know what you are
    sending payments out for? If you were have kept it blank and offered service only, or
    stated some digi product, then you would have been ok...

ok, I got it wrong..same principle..the person sent you payment (maybe stating
    it was a contest) and you accepted the payment, and no doubt his paypal
    has been banned also...I can see this as gambling...as there are no products
    involved what-so-ever...nothing tangible at all...

of course you will never use them again. they have banned you.

dscurlock, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  10. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Sorry OP your request is denied, you are posting this thread in the BST which is totally a wrong category.

wisdomtool, Apr 9, 2009 IP
    RightMan and Feizar like this.
  11. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm just curious, what kind of "contests" are you winning over and over again, and receiving regular payments from for years?

hmansfield, Apr 9, 2009 IP
    Feizar and phyza like this.
  12. merlinseo

merlinseo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well reading TOS would have helped you

And paypal providing the complete valid reasons also would have helped you

But sad part is that as you mentioned in past they did allow it and now they have hold you off for contest thats bad because if earlier they would done it in past then you would have changed the payment system earlier. its their fault if their T&C didnt allow how come in past they didnt stop you thats contradictory here

merlinseo, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  13. nik-pwns

nik-pwns Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah the mods totally owned this thread

why would this not belong in the PAYMENT PROCESSING SECTION?

anyways, I've become annoyed with paypal as well, but I still wouldn't go anywhere else with my business.

no other website offers the vast and most widely accepted form of payment

nik-pwns, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  14. MayurGondaliya

MayurGondaliya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google checkout can not be supported here because it is allowed in US and UK only. Better to use moneybooker and alertpay then.

MayurGondaliya, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  15. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    There has to be more to the story.

hmansfield, Apr 10, 2009 IP
  16. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I fail to understand how winning a designing contest is akin to gambling!
    Even if the designs are for an adult site, does it not demand that it be looked upon, from the creative angle? :eek: :mad:

Sometimes, in the T&Cs, these people push the envelope... too far! :(

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Apr 10, 2009 IP
    wisdomtool and phyza like this.
  17. phyza

phyza Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well these big companies usually got so many issues and they are increasing day by day and we people who rely on these companies have no other option thn to bear them or move on :)
    Thank God i never had any kind of issues with any payment processor yet and i hope i don't be a victim anytime as i heard loads of stories on different forums and platforms.
    I myself take parts in contests here but i don't really get what was bad in taking payment from a contest CH?? Was it related to adult design? Can you show us what did paypal actually replied when you contacted them?
    Thanks
    PHYza

phyza, Apr 10, 2009 IP
  18. CollyMellon

CollyMellon Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course there is, this was just a warning to contest holders of 18+ designs and designers recieving payment for said contests.

Thanks for the sarcasm, I have a verified business account with them also this was my personal one they banned.

No problem, just trying to give a heads up to contest holders / designers participating in 18+ type design contests.

I don't only 'win' contests here but also at 99designs under a different username, I can get $$$$s from one design on 99designs so it's not that hard to grasp is it?

Well plain and simple you cannot take payments or recieve payments that have come from designing artwork for 18+ sites.

To set the story straight, I was limited due to recieving 'gambling' payments, once I explained the payments was from winning design contests PayPal asked for proof..I sent them proof with links to the contests, they then banned me for recieving payments for designs that were of a 18+ adult nature.

Just a heads up really, don't recieve or send payments if your holding design contests for an adult nature.

Cheers, CollyMellon.

CollyMellon, Apr 30, 2009 IP