1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should a site be 100% unique content?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by webwowster, Apr 8, 2009.

Hi all
    Just after some advice from those more experienced :)
    I have started a couple of information based sites that I am pretty passionate about, and want to make sure they reach there full potential.

My question is, Is it best for sites to be 100% unique content with no articles from article directories etc? At the moment I would say one of my site has 74 articles, of which 70 are completely unique. Is it ok to keep about 5% not unique content on the site if they are interesting and informative articles in my niche?

Traffic has gone from 0 visitors a day to about 165 uniques a day in one month, so is growing by about 5 or 6 uniques a day. Is this a good rate?

Bounce rate seems a little high at 75%, but not really sure if this is normal?

Incase it is important i am monetizing by adsense, and amazon which are both earning already :)

Would appreciate any advice if I am heading in the right direction with making this site the best it can be?

webwowster, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  2. Komicwords

Komicwords Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    with only 5 % not unique content I think that is no porblem with Google serps.the most impostant beside daily update is link your content with other networks.beside just put the article to your own page I think that is good idea to contributed 1/2 article to other site to link back

Komicwords, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  3. baranbuffet

baranbuffet Peon

Best Answers:
    content should be unique and information and don't use keyword stuffing

baranbuffet, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  4. welshgirl2

welshgirl2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hiya

Mainly I like to use unique content on my sites because I believe it is better for the people who visit them.

However there is nothing wrong whatso ever in using a little content from article directories, or PLR articles.

In my experience google will not penalize you for this.

Hope this helps

welshgirl2, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  5. lindamood1

lindamood1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    75% is too much bounce rate i.e out of 100 people , 75 people will close your site, so u need to design and content in nice format

lindamood1, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  6. Morrow66

Morrow66 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use 100% myself but I do agree with some of the guys here 100% is not really required and like 5% of other people stuff will not effect you that much just make sure you have some fresh unique content everyday then you will be good in the serps in no time :p

Morrow66, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  7. Michaelr

Michaelr Peon

Best Answers:
    100% is not possible! Is it?

Michaelr, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  8. nandalinnaung

nandalinnaung Peon

Best Answers:
    i think you are using some link exchange systems or some traffic systems.. your bounced rate should not be so high IMO.

try monitor for organic searches. organic searches from big 3 is the best. I optimize mainly for that.

nandalinnaung, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  9. mustafa9095@yahoo.com

mustafa9095@yahoo.com Guest

Best Answers:
    If you have 30% unique content on your site, google will consider it as 100% unique.

If you are re-writting the article, make sure its atleast 30% unique.

mustafa9095@yahoo.com, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  10. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    100% is not necessary at all. For example I have more than 10 different websites, on which all the pages like "conditions" and "advertise here" all have exactly the same content. So I have duplicate texts.

These pages themself dont get ranked much because Google sees them as unrelated. But the articles on the same websites that are unique, do get ranked VERY well.

So 1st of all: Duplicate content isnt as bad for websites as some ppl think. Its just something you shouldnt be overdoing. 5% is no problem at all! Dont u think newspapers often use the same texts? Or big companies with more websites have the same conditions on different websites?

Another thing is: If you use the same article on more websites (like trade it with websites to get links) yes it might get ranked lower. I kinda agree with Mustafa that it should be at least 30% but also make sure its the 30% of the most interesting part. So the keywords, title, <h> teksts etc should be changed and the length of the article should be completely different. That is the best way to make sure they stay ranked.

But websites with articles that get bigger simply just lose some articles that get no imbound links.... Its natural... Big websites Google tends to just index and use for SERPS for like 80% or so.... For example Wikipedia only gets ranked on 80%..

Dirkjan, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  11. Srikanth.killer

Srikanth.killer Peon

Best Answers:
    For a new website, If my content is not unique, will adsense accepts thats website??

Srikanth.killer, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  12. coolamazer

coolamazer Peon

Best Answers:
    No. it is not necessary that you have 100% unique content. but dont go over the limits. keep your site as fresh with unique valuable contents as possible. it will actually benefit you more if you quote phrases from other sources with a link to them. you will help your readers with more relevant information plus you stand a chance to get linked back

Bounce rate is not such a big deal. If the surfer found all the information he needed on your landing page then he might go back to the search engine for more information but on a different topic. i would suggest you use links to relevant articles inside your site so that people follow those links to avoid bounce rate from increasing. it is actually the conversion that matters the most

coolamazer, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  13. lyndatreb

lyndatreb Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello,

After reading this thread, I'm concerned that I've really got problems. I've only been involved in internet marketing for about a year and obviously have MUCH to learn.

It sounds like I may have taken some bad advice from a technician with Ezine Articles. I have written and posted many articles with them. To be certain that I wasn't breaking any rules, I asked whether it would be a good or bad idea to also post the same articles on my own websites. They said it was an excellent idea and even suggested I use their logo with the article. Several of my sites are showing up on the first page of Google results at this point. Do you think I should go in and remove these articles from my website?

I guess I'm a little confused, because I'm seeing a lot of the articles I'm writing getting picked up by other websites, which I thought was a good thing. Maybe I'm wrong. Any help would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lynda

lyndatreb, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  14. AliceJ

AliceJ Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no such thing as 100 PERCENT unique that will pass copy scape...no perfect software...no way...

AliceJ, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  15. smith2009

smith2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I also agree with it that it is not necessary that 100% unique content you have to write for your site. But I believe that 10% uniqueness would be nice rather than 5% and avoid keyword stuffing that will harm your site.

Best of Luck !!

:)

smith2009, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  16. webwowster

webwowster Peon

Best Answers:
    Goodness, i wouldn't do that to my poor site! I meant that I have 95% Unique content and only 5% Non unique.

webwowster, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  17. webwowster

webwowster Peon

Best Answers:
    I had the same dilema. We go to all that effort preparing articles and submitting to article directories and it is tempting to put them on our own sites aswell. But from everything I have learnt so far, I don't think it is a good idea. It is great if other sites use your article and you get back links, but if you put them on your own site as well they will be seen by the search engines as duplicate content.

If it is only making up a very small percentage of your content like 5% or under maybe it is ok to leave them on your site. I was hoping someone might come on this thread that could answer definately either way. But maybe there is no definate answer.

If you are worried, maybe you could rewrite the articles so they are unique for your site.

I would say that the guy from ezine articles was just using the opportunity to get free backlinks and advertising for their site, that is why he would have suggested you put them on your site aswell.

Best of luck with everything :)

18. blog8491

blog8491 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No body can be 100% perfect in the world, but you must smart when you put articles. May be you have a bad design in web site. heck Google analytic report, you may find another reason there.

blog8491, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  19. webwowster

webwowster Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not using any such systems, I know better than that. It is all organic search engine traffic and subscribers. Has gone from 0 organic traffic to 165+ uniques per day in only a month. Plus I already have atleast 10 people subscribing a day. I am no guru but i think the rate my traffic and subscribers is going up isn't bad.

I don't know how much I believe the google analytics stats, my aw stats show a lot more traffic. they don't really ad up. Also I wouldnt think i would be earning from adsense and amazon already if the bounce rate was really that high.

20. lawracri

lawracri Peon

Best Answers:
    can everyone give me site which have 100% Unique content?

lawracri, Apr 9, 2009 IP