1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Deeply Concerned American

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by batman4444, Apr 1, 2009.

1. batman4444

batman4444 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that trying to argue the technicality of the general agreed upon definition of a word is fairly insignificant and really doesn't do anybody any good.

Having said that I also have to admit that starting this thread is somewhat hypocritical of me, and I wonder if it really “does anybody any good”. I am very concerned about what I see as a huge problem facing me, my family, and my nation, yet, in reality I do nothing. I just sit on the sidelines and somehow hope that it will get better. In essence I become part of the problem rather than helping solve the issue. But I want to help solve the problem, but not really sure what the best course of action is.

People hold to their political affiliations religiously. Many times they defend their positions with emotion, tradition, and an uninformed sense of surety. The political parties are so efficient at the “branding” of their members, it seems no amount of logical argument could ever sway their thinking. It's almost as if any opposition may even entrench them in their views more strongly. Hum... I guess raising awareness of the issue is a simple step in the right direction, but really, what can one do?

batman4444, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  2. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with all of that. But my point isn't that nobody refers to citizens of the united states as "American" or that when people hear "American" they don't think of poeple from the united states, my point is that it is an inaccurate word to describe your nationality, as inaccurate as "European" would be when describing my nationality.

It seems that the people trying to refute my point aren't actually refuting it at all. They are agreeing with my point entirely, but just find the reality of it hard to stomach.

I understand that changing it now would mean you have to replace all them tacky patriotic bumper stickers and every vomit inducing power ballad written about it so it's probably best to leave it as it is, but the fact is, "American" can't be a nationality by the virtue of what "America" is, a continent.

stOx, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  3. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I am American and proud.

And yeah, it does accurately refer to my nationality whether you admit it or not. I am pretty sure everyone who is not a petty twit understands that.

browntwn, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  4. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Although statist is taken already, I think it would describe the majority of us nowadays.

Jesus people are fired up today, y'all go out for mexican food?

How'd stox get banned again?

ncz_nate, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  5. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I just eat American food.
    (I am pretty sure that "American food" covers Mexican food too)

browntwn, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  6. touchAshley

touchAshley Active Member

Best Answers:
    Our flag isn't called the United States flag, it's called the American flag. When you put a check next to your nationality on a paper, you check "American"

While America may be a continent, the word "American" is used to describe the nationality of people born in the United States. That's just "how it happened". So stOx, whether you think it's incorrect or not, I am an American. We are Americans. Always have been and always will be. I'm sorry that this bothers you so much.

I just took a mexican pizza out of the oven :)

touchAshley, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  7. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    Good riddance.

LogicFlux, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  8. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Battman:

I think you are correct about the level of anger. Historically, though, it does tend to ebb and flow. It was similar...probably angrier and more severe during the Vietnam period.

Regardless, there clearly are a lot of ultra loud folks who aggressively hate the other side. It feeds on itself. The anger grows. It is carried by tons of emotion and dramatically less and less thought.

I still believe that the ultra partisans on both sides of the basic liberal/conservative continuum tend to fuel it at its worst. I also sense that the middle, fortunately tends to become the force that moves elections. They don't quiet the ultra partisans....but they weigh in to effect elections and who ends up running the country.

earlpearl, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  9. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    First off, we are not a democracy. We are a republic. They are quit different but often confused. I don't understand how we spread democracy to other nations when we aren't one ourselves. Cracks me up there.

Second off, there is no America continent. I believe, at least my world geography class said so, and any map I've ever seen, there is a North America and a South America. But, no American Continent.

I believe we are referred to as Americans because our country name is the United States of AMERICA. I may be wrong. That, and the british (who have like 3 different name for their country) called us Americans when we were still colonys.

I hate partisan politics. I think both are hypocritical. I'm a registered Independant. I take my own views on issues without an invisible man to guide me. I actually have different views than my parents. And what is funny is at the beginning of the century and before, democrats and republicans were the opposite of what they are now. Dems wanted less government and reps wanted bigger government.

hostlonestar, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  10. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Well said. Greed and the capitalist system has created a scenario where criminals prosper and then go legit. It is the "American" way. Almost all of the dynasties i.e., Kennedy, Rockefeller, Bush, etc., all started out doing something less than legal, but after awhile they all of a sudden become legitimized and all of the past forgotten. Sounds like the mafia. They all have the same goal. Crime DOES pay if you know when to get out of the game. Those who stay in too long are the ones that lose everything.

Our greed and general overindulgence in everything from air to petroleum has created the framework for our own possible downfall. All great civilizations have failed from their dependence on some exhaustible resource. We are possibly on our way there. I want to believe that we can change the course of events here, but I have my reservations.

BadBoyzStudioZ, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  11. batman4444

batman4444 Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is an excellent example of why I think it is foolhardy to throw in your lot with some political party with the whole “death do you part” type mentality (or any type social organization/system for that matter). Things change, organizations change, agendas change, times change, and most of all you change too. Look at what you really value/believe and make sure those values are still in line with whatever organizations you affiliate with.

I wonder if terrorist ever took the time to honestly compare their own deep down personal values with those of their organizations, if they would really find any grounds for violent acts of terrorism. I guess that probably at some point you are so assimilated into a way of thinking, you end up believing that the ideals of your “group” are your own. This is backwards, it should be the other way around. --(defiantly a very extreme example)

I'm not saying that all organizations are inherently evil, to the contrary I believe that they can be beneficial and positive influence in our lives/societies. However, what I am saying is it constantly important to re-evaluate your position with groups. Constant vigilance is required or else you run the risk of getting sucked into an organization and have all your thinking done by someone else.

batman4444, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  12. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is the "critical" mentality I spoke about before, you are right.. if people evaluated things before blindly accepting them because their emotions are all jacked up, we wouldn't have half the problems in the world we have today.

But don't listen to me I'm anti-American, so they say..

ncz_nate, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  13. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    QFT.

LogicFlux, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  14. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    United States of America = American

If it's going to be an issue than call me an United States American or US-American.

People are angry but at the same time they are trying to get their piece of government cheese.

The Mexicans on the corner deliver :D

bogart, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  15. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Semantics. The power of words. Funny thing... Words. Here is one for you... Native American. I was born here, I am a native. "American Indians" were of Mongolian decent or something, not from this hood either. I was born here. I check "Native American" on all forms. I sport a mohawk, I am whiter than white, but it confuses people. I love it! Gets my Food Stamp card faster too! lol

BadBoyzStudioZ, Apr 5, 2009 IP
  16. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You probably had some Solutrean ancestors.

bogart, Apr 5, 2009 IP
  17. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Why? Cause I am a bonehead? Probably.:eek:

BadBoyzStudioZ, Apr 5, 2009 IP
    bogart likes this.
  18. awundrin

awundrin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am an American and proud too. As stated here by other AMERICANS, most people know that when ANYONE refers to a person as am American, they know that they are talking about a citizen of the United States of America. Sounds like the ones here 'picking' on that topic are jealous and/or hate America but don't know why. I'd bet most of you listen to American music and watch American movies tho.

awundrin, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  19. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    America, the concept rocks. I feel like I am in heaven most days. I have a really nice car, a nice home, air conditioning and cable Internet and TV. We just need to start looking at out habits and be grateful we live in this wonderful time in history. The system has a lot of faults, but cream usually rises to the top.

People are very aware today. Before 911 we were a bunch of complacent fools living in an illusion. I think we are making progress. I didn't vote for Obama, but I like the guy and I did vote. Millions of us did this time. I support him no matter what, he is my President and he is bound to make mistakes. I know Bush had issues, but he was dealt a losing hand from the gate. He did what he knew how to do and not all of our issues are about one guy. It's easy to point fingers at one group, but it takes a village to raise the community. We created this mess ourselves. We are the ones that need to get us out.

Speaking out like this is part of the solution. Even people who live in other countries can come to a forum and say what they want. That is what we have, our minds. Nobody can steal that from us.

BadBoyzStudioZ, Apr 9, 2009 IP
    earlpearl likes this.
  20. batman4444

batman4444 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks BadBoyz,
    awesome post, I guess from my previous posts it kinda sounds like I am a dooms-day-er or something like that, but I really am optimistic for the future. I just see a problem that I believe is getting worse and I want to be part of the solution. I readily agree that we have a whole lot going for us here in the U.S and should be extremely grateful for our standard of living. Check out the youtube video Everything's amazing, nobody's happy ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGYx35ypus ) extremely funny, and I think it has some awesome points that are relevant

batman4444, Apr 11, 2009 IP