1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is "Page eCPM"?

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by kozuch82, Jul 13, 2006.

I cant really understand why does it show in reports overview even though I've read different FAQs...

kozuch82, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  2. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    Page eCPM should mean the average amount of revenue generated per 1,000 page views. Normally eCPM referes to the amount of revenue generated per 1,000 ad impressions (3 ads on one page times 2,000 page views should equal 6,000 impressions).

Lets say you have 2,000 page views and earned $12, your page eCPM would be $6. If there were three ad slots per page then you would have had 6,000 impressions and your eCPM would be $2.

KLB, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  3. my44

my44 Peon

Best Answers:
    So it's better to only have one ads block vs. three ads?

my44, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  4. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    No, you misunderstood me. In both the page eCPM and impression eCPM every page had three ad blocks. Its just a different way of tallying up the CPM. In the page eCPM the total revenues are divided against the number of page views. In the impression eCPM the total revenues are divided against the total number of ad block impressions. Since there are 3 ad blocks per page, 2,000 page views would be 6,000 ad impressions. Thus in this case a page eCPM of $6 is the same as a impression eCPM of $2.

The purpose of eCPM is simply create a stable comparison one can use to see how ads are doing when the number of total page views and impressions changes on a daily basis. In the end what really matters is how much revenue one earns.

KLB, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  5. my44

my44 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, point taken. How about reducing the number of ads block to improve income per click, CPC?

my44, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  6. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    Without seeing your site, I will say that playing around with the position and number of total ad blocks you have on your pages is the only way to find the optimal mix. I personally have removed several of my non-AdSense banner ad slots and found that it improved my total revenues. With AdSense, you should use the channels option to track revenues not only on an ad slot by ad slot basis, but on a topic section by topic section basis. For instance you might have channels named like this:
    Sec1 slot1
    Sec1 slot2
    Sec1 slot3
    Sec2 slot1
    Sec2 slot2
    etc...​

This will allow you to run different reports that not only tell you how well a specific ad slot is doing, but how well different sections of your site is doing. This will help you fine tune your ads and allow you to focus your efforts on the most profitable sections of your site.

KLB, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  7. kozuch82

kozuch82 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well ok,

so how does the eCPM count with my revenues? I cant distinguish between CPC and CPM ads with AdSense from my point of view right? :(

8. MediaHustler

MediaHustler Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It really doesn't it's just a statistic.

MediaHustler, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  9. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    You are correct, you can not tell the difference between how much you are earning via CPM ads and CPC ads unless you happen to notice an ad slot (e.g. channel) generating revenue with no clicks.

KLB, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  10. my44

my44 Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually you can know how much you are getting from CPM ads. Here is the step-by-step guide:

- Login to your Adsense account
    - Click on "Advanced Report"
    - Find the section that says "Show data by [?]"
    - Check the box that says "Show data by targeting type - contextual or site [?]"
    - Click "Display Report" button

Now you will see, for that particular day, say 12th July 2006, you will have TWO sets of statistic ie: "Targeting [?] Contextual" and "Targeting [?] Site". The "Targeting [?] Site" is the CPM ads statistic for you. It usually have zero clicks but some income accrued to it eg: $0.01 or $0.10 depending on the page impressions.

Usually, for anything below 10 impressions, you will get about $0.01, so if you improve on that particular CPM impressions, then you will get more.

Hope that helps.

my44, Jul 13, 2006 IP
    KLB likes this.
  11. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    WOW I never knew that! You learn something new every day. ;)

KLB, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  12. kozuch82

kozuch82 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well folks,

thanx for your tips. I was just confused by the eCPM value displaying in the reports. I think there is a market space for and easier advertising company than Google is... :D heh

13. my44

my44 Peon

Best Answers:
    No problem guys. So anything interesting after you see your CPM statistic? Do you guys make a lot from it? I don't.

my44, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  14. kozuch82

kozuch82 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I began with AdSense three days ago, got about $4 altogether now, but yet it is still too confusing to me...

I got $3.70 in one day and the other 2 days were the rest... Are the stats real time?

15. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    The stats are mostly real time (maybe a few hour lag at most). The thing about AdSense is that revenues can swing wildly from day to day. Also if you are only earning in the range of a couple dollars per day your traffic must be very low so you must expect that there will be days when you won't earn anything. It takes thousands of page views per day (e.g. >5,000) to bring any kind of reliablity to one's earnings.

KLB, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  16. bonez

bonez Peon

Best Answers:
    stats aren't "real time" their program runs every few hours and updates the numbers.

bonez, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  17. ProdigalSon

ProdigalSon Peon

Best Answers:
    How do I earn income with CPM I notice that I have over 1000 impressions but somehow I don't earn any income, how do I earn income for 1000+ impressions?

ProdigalSon, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  18. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    Remember that eCPM is only the effective or average amount your site is earning per 1,000 page views/impressions. eCPM is not a fixed amount it fluctuates as the rate at which users click on your ads changes and the CPC for ads users click on.

If you have a low eCPM it is probably caused by a combination of poor ad placement, low advertiser demand for key words releated to your site and/or low interest by users in the ads that are on your site.

KLB, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  19. my44

my44 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think ProdigalSon was asking why, despite his 1,000+ impressions, he still doesn't earn that much money.

The answer is that CPM ads are different than eCPM ads (pardon the jargons). You have no control over CPM ads because it is the advertisers that will decide if they want to be featured exclusively on any pages of your site. Your 1,000 impressions mostly, if not all, are of eCPM ads, which means you need clicks to get paid.

my44, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  20. ProdigalSon

ProdigalSon Peon

Best Answers:
    Makes sense, thanks for the info.

ProdigalSon, Jul 13, 2006 IP