1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stolen Mobile, What to do?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dextrone, Apr 6, 2009.

Hello, since digitalpoint is a very diverse webamster forum, I know at least one person here has had their phone stolen/lost.
    First, let me state that I have the phone number of the thief because a program on my HTC/T-Mobile G1 has sent me the phone number, and will continue to do so every time the SIM is changed until a master reset.
    I am in the process of contacting the police and filing a report.
    However, I still don't know what to do with the number (it will be sent to the police)...I'm not calling it because I risk losing everything by doing so (they'll find out about the software!).
    I know that the thief will go to the same place every DAY and there were incidents of theft at the SAME EXACT LOCATION, since this is a school.
    Last week, 3 cell phones and 2 iPods were stolen about 20ft away from my theft. They were recovered because one of the students stole them.
    So, it's probably the same students (don't know how they still are in the school though).

Any advice? The people here are creative, surely someone can help.

Dextrone, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  2. F--K

F--K Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ummm ... Sorri for ur phone --- You can contact police it wud b better if you have any relative in police. Then ask them to trace out the sim which is in use. I think this would help you.

F--K, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  3. Dextrone

Dextrone Peon

Best Answers:
    The phone is certainly worth enough to put in an hour or three to retrieve....

Dextrone, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  4. CasualNerd

CasualNerd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely pass that information on to the police. If they don't follow it up you might have to try something else, but it's in your interest that they recover it for you legally, and hopefully the thief gets caught / exposed / punished. It's great news that your phone sends you his new number, haven't seen that before.

I know of a friend who had his phone stolen, police tracked it to a house, and ended up recovering all sorts of stolen goods. You might be helping more people than just yourself. ;)

In any case, you should have recorded the IMEI number from your phone, and if it can't be recovered, get the handset locked, it will be useless to the thieves - it is impossible to reverse though, so don't block it unless you're sure you won't be getting it back.

CasualNerd, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  5. MRamses

MRamses Peon

Best Answers:
    The police can easily track the signal if you have the phone number. Explain to them that the phone is worth over $500. That puts it in a different class of theft and they're be more likely to pursue the matter.

MRamses, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  6. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That's a better option to contact police ! :)

And you did good to have a software installed to track ur lost phone. Even I use that type of software in my phone ! :)

Digital_shubhi, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  7. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have any type of knowledge of who might be taking the items. Trap them that is what I say. Set up some type of hidden camera, I know they have the technology with all these nanny cams and all. Place some high priced items, phones, ipod touches in the area and wait. You will see them take them, submit evidence to police and watch.

gvannorman, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  8. merlinseo

merlinseo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But right now how can you ensure that phone is being used by theft
    he might have sold it on Ebay :), Just kidding

But then best way is to get him officially and because once Police knows he cant escape instead of you calling him

merlinseo, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  9. crovax85

crovax85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely contact the police and then your service provider to block your simcard. May be worth telling your school teachers or something so that they can take some sort of action.

Hope you get your phone back :)

crovax85, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  10. Spider Man

Spider Man Guest

Best Answers:
    Just forget it and buy a new one !! I lost many .. never got any luck in getting them back .. so better buy a new one !!

Spider Man, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  11. blichev

blichev Peon

Best Answers:
    My phone was stolen once, I informed the police and filled in a report with the IMEI number which should help them to track it. They contacted the GSM companies, but they weren't able to find it.

Anyway I was very drunk when I lost it :D

blichev, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  12. jezzz

jezzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes! find out IMEI number printed on mobile box and report to any GSM anti-corruption agency or police. They can easily block set.

jezzz, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  13. -webtor-

-webtor- Peon

Best Answers:
    have you reported it to your carrier? some phones have some tracking device now in case it got stolen, they can block the number and the phone so nobody can use it...reporting it to the police can also help you out to track down your thief.

-webtor-, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  14. danish muzaffar

danish muzaffar Banned

Best Answers:
    Buy New one Simple and Dimple

danish muzaffar, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  15. Johnscore

Johnscore Member

Best Answers:
    Just report to the police! If they could find him, just buy a new phone. And be careful for next time.

Johnscore, Apr 7, 2009 IP