1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ submission tips

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by banker0679, Mar 23, 2009.

i'm assuming there are a lot more editors since 2006

so your site should be reviewed within days/weeks/months

if it's not reviewed in that time frame then you need to

1. look at your site to make sure it is unique
    2. less ads which may make the site look spammy
    3. READ THE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES http://www.dmoz.org/add.html

If your company name is
    John's Tire Store then submit it as John's Tire Store
    Do not put keywords like Tires for lowriders

Description should be the same.
    Offers tires
    not Offers low rider tires

Most editors look at the about us page for a description

Also, editors may store your website for a time before rejecting it.
    This is why it's not good to RESUBMIT more than once

Make sure it's user friendly

DMOZ are for users not for search engines.
    Many people submit so they can get a backlink from DMOZ.
    90% of the time they dont have user friendly site.
    If you build your sites for readers, then an editor will be able to view it, and maybe approve it.
    If you have a spammy site, then editors know you're just looking to get a backlink.

One more thing
    Editors are busy with other things in life, and may have other things to do.
    There are a lot of editors who frequent this forum so here's my recommendation.
    If you say that the category doesnt get visited, then at least post the category address. Just put the category url
    /Regional/North_America/United_States/Alabama/Education/

MAYBE you'll have the editor of the category view it, and it may remind him to check out any new submissions.
    Will it work ? maybe

One last thing....
    Editors also look for websites in local/regional forums or even by searching in Google.
    If you participate or have high rankings then it will be a better chance for them to find you.
    If they see you spamming everywhere then even think about submitting

banker0679, Mar 23, 2009 IP
    Random Guy likes this.
  2. maddyb

maddyb Banned

Best Answers:
    I need all the tips I can get, been trying to get listed in there forever. Thanks.

maddyb, Mar 24, 2009 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The BEST tips can vary GREATLY between any two categories.

Different editors have different takes on the meaning behind the guidelines.
    Some editors are paid (or so it's claimed)
    Some editors thrive on the submission queue
    Some refuse to use it at all
    Some editors hunt through Google or other SE's to find their listings
    Some use the phonebook...

So the two best TIPS anyone can really give you, other then telling you to make the best darned site you can possibly make, is to either...

• SUBMIT & FORGET
    or
    • FORGET 2 SUBMIT
    Regardless though, make the best site you can make, follow the guidelines of Google (yes, I said google) and promote your site by any and all (non-blackhat) means. Check out the General Marketing & Link Development forums here on DP for more information. That way, you are bound to get a good ranking, good SERP, and a fair amount of traffic regardless of whether or not you are listed in DMOZ. Simply create your site for the END user, rather then your own wallet, or any other thing... because in the end it's really the end user you are after anyway.

Best of luck!

Qryztufre, Mar 24, 2009 IP
    Random Guy likes this.
  4. Plutoscript

Plutoscript Peon

Best Answers:
    Well thanks for the tips but dmoz is not it.

Plutoscript, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  5. Random Guy

Random Guy Peon

Best Answers:
    Great tips both of you :) Going to submit one of my first sites to that soon, keeping my fingers crossed

Random Guy, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Says he who whinged because his site, which he himself had become an editor and listred, was removed by an editor when it did not return, after Q had left editing.

Best tips
    Follow guidelines http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/ of which I highlight:
    Needs to be unique content, fancy sites or high PR makes no difference.
    Submit to the correct category, it may be a while before an editor reviews your site, so if they have to send it to another category, it has to wait again.
    Try to title and describe the site according to guidelines, other sites in the category often offer a good guide, though not always. This is not critical most editors do a description themselves, but if you have tried it will stand out in the Q.
    Don't re-submit, it overwrites the last one you submitted.
    Don't submit to more than one category, unless you submit to a topical category and your site has a base, like a shop, then submit to the regional category in which it is located as well.
    Don't contact the editor to see what has happened and its no use asking here or resource zone, we don't so site lookups.
    In fact if you have basically followed the above and your site is listable, it probably will be, but we can't say when, so go and promote your site in other places, there is nothing more you can do at DMOZ if you have followed the above.

Anonymously, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Shall I now quote editors saying SUBMIT AND FORGET? How is it that *I* am wrong when I am just saying what other editors have said?

The FORGET TO SUBMIT part bothering you? Maybe I should quote you saying that the submission queue is optional? (Hence submitting being optional).

It's funny that I am wrong, no matter what I say... even when I quote the same things you have said.

Now tell him again how UNIQUE content is important within the HUMAN edited directory, and I'll gladly point out that such a thing is optional as well. (lets talk about the duplicate content within the 10K TOPIX listings shall we?)

If you have something against me, that's fine... but when I am saying the same things as soooo many others why do you single me out? It's just making you look bad, and as a spokesmen for the ODP it's making DMOZ look bad as well. Oh wait, you are not a representative of the ODP... you are not even an editor. :rolleyes:

Qryztufre, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  8. CraigPaleo

CraigPaleo Peon

Best Answers:
    If you've submitted your site once don't submit it again. This is the biggest mistake that people with worthy sites make. It's very tempting to re-submit but your time is much better spent improving your site and building other links. I wouldn't even go to DMOZ to check. If you check your backlinks regularly, you'll eventually find out that way when/if you get listed. If you check your referers, you might find it that way but you will find out eventually.

CraigPaleo, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  9. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutely! Excellent advice!! :)

makrhod, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  10. Justice O. Omorodion

Justice O. Omorodion Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a great tips right there...

Justice O. Omorodion, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Hey Q is getting paranoid :D

Please offer me the thread where I have said "Forget 2 submit".

I just remember you bleating when your site was removed, yet you tell others to forget to submit. Yes we don't only use the submissions Q, but also do use it, submiting therefore must double your chances of being found, once in the Q and also from any another source that the editor uses. But obviously you do not think a link worthwhile, hang on a minute am I still referring to he who became an editor, listed his site, had a spat left and then complained and complained when the site did not return and was removed?:D

Anonymously, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  12. Master Directory

Master Directory Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i have submit my site, thanks for tips and i hope it works

Master Directory, Apr 6, 2009 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I never said you said that... what I said was that you have said that editors do not need to check the queue and that some don't. Hence the logic behind forgetting to submit. It's good to know you can follow along when people are posting :rolleyes:

Off topic much? Again, posts about ME belong in a thread about ME. If you'd care to start one I'm sure you'll find that no one cares... and you keep going on about me bleating about this or that... but who is the one that keeps bringing these things up? YOU!

Qryztufre, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  14. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Like I said the submissions Q is optional BUT as I also said by offering a site one DOUBLES ones chance of the site being found. The editor may find it in the Q or in any other way the editor users to build up that category. Let me repeat, because you did not hear this on a previous post, it DOUBLES the chance of a site being found.

Anonymously, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Sooo.... you are agreeing with me?

if it DOUBLES your chances to submit, then submitting or not submitting have about an equal chance of getting a listing ;)

Qryztufre, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    But it still doubles your chance, and glad you now admit you, as usual, twisted words that I or another editor said. But hey don't let us get you to change too many opinions, you would have nothing to keep trying to hit the directory with, and I understand that you are terribly upset, that's why you had a such a spat with the directory and walked out.

Anonymously, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  17. banker0679

banker0679 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the reps everyone!

banker0679, Apr 8, 2009 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  18. olando

olando Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the sharing....i will try soon

olando, May 10, 2009 IP