1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any thoughts on .tel domains

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by andy10k, Mar 27, 2009.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the new .tel domains? I have been sucked in by the marketing and bought one, but have no idea if they will be worth anything.

andy10k, Mar 27, 2009 IP
  2. UncleBS

UncleBS Guest

Best Answers:
    unless its showand.tel I'm not sure that they will have nay value at all..

UncleBS, Mar 27, 2009 IP
  3. blenta

blenta Peon

Best Answers:
    Just don't buy .tel names and you will save lot of money.

blenta, Mar 31, 2009 IP
  4. arunn

arunn Active Member

Best Answers:
    nothin beats a .com so far :)

arunn, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  5. ButcherBoy

ButcherBoy Peon

Best Answers:
    For me .tel domains are OK, but just for some specific business...
    I notice big % of people simply knows and recognize only .com .net domains...

ButcherBoy, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  6. domainloco.net

domainloco.net Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I registered one .tel just to make sure I had my market covered... but I'm still doubtful

domainloco.net, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  7. traian13

traian13 Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't even know .tel domains existed ...

traian13, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  8. jiggymehta

jiggymehta Peon

Best Answers:
    The best you can do is buy a .tel for your name or your company..thats all..normal dictionary words would not necessarily make sense incase of .tel since you would not be able to park them or display ads on them..

jiggymehta, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  9. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    The only way you can make money on a .tel is if you sell directory listings..

So, if you own newyork.tel, you can create like 12 broad categories and sell links to someone who wants to list their business under your "Comptuers" section, or "Used Cars" section, or whatever. It's kind of hard to do as I honestly dont think people are going to take to the .tel extension unless you really go out of your way to market the hell out of your .tel site offline.

Pixelrage, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  10. jiggymehta

jiggymehta Peon

Best Answers:
    yes..directory listings is the best way of monetizing them..

jiggymehta, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  11. usa666

usa666 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    .com is king.

I am sure there will be a few good .tel names out there but I think there will be a TON of losers.

even showand.tel is junk IMHO

it is missing an L.

usa666, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  12. evelyn.mendes

evelyn.mendes Peon

Best Answers:
    I think yourcompanyname.tel is worth an investment..anyway its available for about USD 10..I personally have a .tel and have contact details put up..you can also use Google Maps on that..However cant upload pics..

evelyn.mendes, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  13. Samun

Samun Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, guys, but from the messages above I am deducing that some of the people who responded do not know what the characteristics of a .TEL domain are. :confused:

First, it does not require a website, so there is no need to develop it if you don't want to, but you can add keywords. Second, it is specially intended to work as a directory to be accessed by all kinds of mobile devices (e.g., mobile phones, PDAs, etc.) For the moment the value is questionable, but it might become a hot thing in the next years. Check out telnic.org.

However, as always, go for a "safe" name with a lot of potential. If you can sit on it for a certain time while the market develops, you might make lots of $$$. If you buy a crap name, you are throwing away the money.

I've bought callcenter.tel, helpdesk.tel, servicecenter.tel and worldwide.tel, which IMHO are very specialized (niche but high-value) names. And then a couple of bets such as hardsex.tel or gals.tel.

I have a couple of ideas for monetizing these domains (publicity & parking is here not a real option), but I consider these rather a long-term investment (I estimate 2 years before the market is mature). However, if the ideas that I am thinking of actually work, I would be crazy to sell the domains instead of developing them... :cool:

Samun, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  14. brian41527

brian41527 Peon

Best Answers:
    Stay away from them

brian41527, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  15. footodors

footodors Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like.tel. I've got my lastname.
    I like the simple layout plus a centralized location for my addresses. I'll make some private as well.
    I think people will like having their own .tel.

footodors, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  16. LeftSideBurn

LeftSideBurn Member

Best Answers:
    if you want Google traffic and good search results to your domain, stick with .com. When was the last time you did a search and found a .tel, .info. .biz on the first page of your results? Ya, thought so...

WC

LeftSideBurn, Apr 6, 2009 IP
  17. alybaloch

alybaloch Peon

Best Answers:
    .tel does make some sense for business with trademark only, but it doesnt make much sense for individuals, there are thousands of johns and jerrys, 2nd an average uni guy wouldnt like to pay even $10 year and stay committed for paying it every year, he has msn, facebook and alot more to get in touch.
    3rd If i was tom cruise I would especially stay out of it as I wouldnt want anyway to see my number n stuff.
    4th for example Pizza.tel, there are thousands of pizza businesses in the world and only one would get to have it.
    5th most of the people in most part of the world still dont use internet on their cell phones.

alybaloch, Apr 7, 2009 IP