1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Deeply Concerned American

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by batman4444, Apr 1, 2009.

You know, I really am worried about our country. We are not Americans anymore, we are ether democrats or we are republicans. We support our individual parties political decisions and leaders even if they make decisions contrary to our beliefs and wants. We no longer care what the real truth is about political leaders. We hold our own party as infallible and will believe just about anything negative regarding the opposing party. We are handing over the political power of our nation to hype, emotionality, and marketing rather than informed consideration and rational thought. This all seems very similar to what marketers call “branding”.

What I am afraid of is that we are setting the stage for a form of totalitarianism thinly veiled by democratic pretenses. Tyranny is sure to follow. Is this not how dictators get their power? With the misinformed consent of the people.

I am talking about all political offices, not just the presidency. Wake up Americans, its not the republicans fault and its not the democrats fault- Its yours.

batman4444, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  2. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is the result of the severity of the extremes of partisan politics.

In practice, I don't think the majority is there. I believe the opposite of your concern showed up in the election wherein Obama and Dems won slim majorities in areas where the dems used to lose.

I suspect those were the changes from the middle ...that hopefully is not overly partisan and tied to one party or another.

Over the many years there is always a lot of hot air coming from partisanship. As the years move forward the great sustaining middle seems to get sick of whoever is running the show...regardless of the hot air of the overly partisan. It is thru those changes that we navigate away from the partisanship that crowds the airwaves.

earlpearl, Apr 1, 2009 IP
    bogart likes this.
  3. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The 2 party system was corrupted a long time ago and is much worse now. This is why it was so refreshing to see doctor Paul speak the truth finally.
    This is what told me that we still have a tiny glimmer of hope for the republic and for democracy and not bill O'reilly.

pingpong123, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  4. Naughty Son

Naughty Son Peon

Best Answers:
    You have penned some thought provoking words. Good job.

Naughty Son, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  5. kewlchat

kewlchat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    democracy is dead, the bias media has finaly killed it :(

kewlchat, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  6. batman4444

batman4444 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am really cautious to say that this president or that president is going to “save” the country. When election time comes around and some individual his/her choice of candidates in office, what do they do? They do nothing, they sit back and feel warm and fuzzy feeling secure that your pick of president is going to solve everything. The exact opposite happens if the “other” candidate wins. The “losers” are certain the country is going to hell and the entire system will fall apart before the next election.

This is exactly the “branding” that I am concerned about. The president is not all powerful in this country, congress is constantly waging a war of partisanship rather than trying to accomplish what is most beneficial for the American public.

batman4444, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  7. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You never were "Americans" anyway, certainly not as your nationality. America is a continent, if anything you were "united statsiens" or simply a "statist", as the country you come from is the united states.

stOx, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  8. touchAshley

touchAshley Active Member

Best Answers:
    ..... :rolleyes:

touchAshley, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  9. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    This thread reminds me of that lunatic Glenn Beck. His show is entertaining in a very strange way. I really question whether he really is the lunatic he plays on TV or if that's just an act to appeal to a certain segment of the population.

Zibblu, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  10. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Explain to me now how Glenn Beck is a lunatic?

ncz_nate, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  11. MafiaMaster

MafiaMaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I will agree with you on the topic of the political parties destroying America. It creates such a divide amongst people that no longer are we American, we're Democrat or Republican. It took an attack on our country for us to suddenly remember our patriotism.

MafiaMaster, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  12. ronmojohny

ronmojohny Active Member

Best Answers:
    Listen to Alex Jones on www.infowars.com He has been predicting this stuff for years. The New World Order has Obama in their pocket, and they want to destroy the dollar, and to create a central bank that charges all of us for our carbon emissions over this fake global warming issue.

Wake up America !

ronmojohny, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  13. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    didn't feel confident enough to put what you left for me in a negative rep here? Never mind, i can always copy and paste it.

Well done on proving my point. The continent i am from is Europe, But my nationality is English. My nationality could never be "European" because "Europe" isn't a nation, It's a continent, Just as "america" is.

stOx, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  14. ksb2050

ksb2050 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is the pettiest side topic I've ever seen. The point in question...Who cares? :rolleyes:

ksb2050, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  15. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Can't believe you got neg repped for that! What is this place coming too? Anyway, what nationality are Australians?

Bushranger, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  16. touchAshley

touchAshley Active Member

Best Answers:
    Of course you got negative repped. This thread is about a concerned American, and you pop in just to say that we're not really American at all. Nobody said anything about nationality. We've been Americans for a very long time - Should we change what we're called to please you? You're European, and I'm an American in the...

wait for it....

United States of America

Back on topic. I didn't come in here to start something. Some people are just ridiculous and I needed to roll my eyes.

touchAshley, Apr 2, 2009 IP
    bogart likes this.
  17. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Carter beat Ford in 1976 with only a slight majority. The 1976 electoral map bears little resemblence to the 2008 map.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bogart, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  18. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just because you continuously state something patently untrue doesn't make it true. I'm not asking you to change what you call yourself, im pointing out that what you do call yourself is actually incorrect.

You are "american" in the same sense, and to the extent, that Mexicans, Brazilians, Cubans and Argentinians are.

stOx, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  19. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No, actually we are not. You sound like one of those idiots who lamely argues that the word antisemitic does not have to do with being Jewish.

The simply reality is that in today's world the term "American" is commonly understood to mean a citizen of the United States. You may not like it, it may not be technically correct, but it you ask 9 out of 10 people who an American is they will tell you someone from the United States.

So you can play your silly games, but anyone with any common sense sees what a dumbass you are making of yourself. Because we all know that when we hear the word "American" we too think of someone from the United States.

You must be so proud of the great stand you are taking here. You really seem to care. About what, I have no idea.

browntwn, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  20. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    Right. Like one day we decided we're the only important people on either of these continents and we alone deserve the right to be called Americans.

The term probably has a much more organic beginning. I wouldn't be surprised if the British helped give rise to the term by referring to those in the 13 colonies as Americans, you know the ones in America.

However it came about, I'm sure there was no grand plan and it came about most terms like these do, simply as a means of communication. Whoever started calling us Americans did not reckon that 200-300(or how ever long the term has been used to describe us) years in the future that some insecure, non-americans upset with our foreign policy and frustrated by the amount of influence we have, would somehow draw inferences that the term was borne of arrogance.

LogicFlux, Apr 3, 2009 IP